How many 1st round ol players do you need?

Jarntt

Reaction score
If draft one Thursday will be 3/5 are first round picks? Can’t spend more than that for ol. Only only pick this year ol. Need some athletes at lb/safety/rb/wr #2/3 etc.
That doesn't make any sense. So if Martin was a guaranteed first ballot HOFer but drafted in the 4th round you'd be OK with OL in the 1st? How you acquired the guys already on the team is in the past and meaningless. They are who they are regardless of when they were drafted. All that matters is what is the best move going forward. You can certainly argue your thoughts on whether or not OL in the 1st is the move. Me, I'm a more or less a BPA guy (within reason based on our roster), so I don't decide until I'm on the clock and see who falls.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Not true. Linemen were as much important and needed during the 90s as they are today. Difference is back then coaches actually built up Olines with later draft picks.
And your point being? Looks like we are saying the same thing.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
And your point being? Looks like we are saying the same thing.
You said...

nalam said:
"Drafting priorities have changed from 90s, OL is flying off the shelves now a days."

Definitely not the same thing I'm saying.

kskboys

Reaction score
The key is about who the Oline developer is.

Nate Newton and Mark Tuinei were undrafted free agents. Tuinei had never played on Offense until he goy to the Cowboys where he was converted from a D-Tackle to one of the best O-Tackles of the 90s. Same goes for Stepnoski. He had always played O-Tackle in college, yet once drafted by the Cowboys, he got immediately converted to Center and became one of the best Centers of the 90s. Same goes for several other 90s Olinemen.
That is part of it, but if that were the case you'd see the OL's that failed here doing well elsewhere. The only instances in which that has happened are where we let them walk right away. Or in the case of Connor, they switched his position.

kskboys

Reaction score
Finally, a post of yours that I can place a like.
Offlineman should be drafted in rd 3-4 and coached up as they are NOT playmakers!
Yes, but those 3rd/4th rounders must have the talent to be coached up. Mostly, the ones we take do not.

Flamma

Reaction score
If draft one Thursday will be 3/5 are first round picks? Can’t spend more than that for ol. Only only pick this year ol. Need some athletes at lb/safety/rb/wr #2/3 etc.
Don't assume they're picking an OL in the first round. Everyone assumes they are picking an OL no matter what. I don't think that's going to happen.

kskboys

Reaction score
Well considering there are no RBs, Ss, LBs worthy of the 24 pick in this draft, I am OK with them taking a potential stud OL there.
Sooooooooooo, when you said this I automatically tried to disprove it. Couldn't.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
That is part of it, but if that were the case you'd see the OL's that failed here doing well elsewhere. The only instances in which that has happened are where we let them walk right away. Or in the case of Connor, they switched his position.
I called it for years that Connor Williams was being forced to play Guard but should have been moved to Center. I said with his smarts and physical traits, he would excel at Center. Posters laughed at me, specifically CowboyRoy. Time proved me right. I know Oline.

John813

Reaction score
My thought in a vacuum is that I would prefer to avoid OL in the first unless you need a Tackle and one with high grades is there.
Interior guy are important, but it's not a position that requires a first round pick to have a good line.

However, on a per draft basis, and how the draft falls, if a C/G is the BPA, fits what the team wants to run, is pro ready off the bat and has high upside, then cool.
Rather take BPA in an OL than pick for need in a Mazi/Taco selection

Hadenough

Reaction score
And people complain about the defense.