How many consecutive years can you tag the same player?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Somehow I fail to see how he is getting the short end of the stick when he is going to make $31M dollars this year.

That's stupid crazy money to play football 16 times a year plus playoffs.

Dak isn't a regular person? What is he some kind of super human? LOL

31 million for a part time job because you can run around a football field? Im all for owners cracking down on the union. Take back the sport.
Because they just show up for work on Sunday mornings 16 times a year, and maybe a few extra days if they are in the playoffs?

In any case, obviously the standard for an NFL player is not how his salary compares to the salary of an average American, it's how it compares to other players in similar circumstances with similar credentials, and considering the current market conditions.

As for the owners, they are as responsible for the high prices as the players because they compete with each other for the services of the players. That's how things work in the USA - supply and demand. The market is only what the buyer is willing to spend.

Last edited:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He actually would have made less money this year had he signed a long term contract last year. In terms of actual cash value. Also nfl contracts are not fully guaranteed so signing a big long term deal doesn't matter. It's the guaranteed money that matters. Dak is maximizing his $$'s. Everyone so quick to kick on these players for maximizing income but say nothing and support big corps that severely underpay and cut benefits to employees to maximize their profits.
It may be true that his 2020 pay will be more than it would have been if he had signed an extension last year, but he would have got a portion of his signing bonus last year, and I'm sure that would have made up the difference, plus given him some money earlier to invest and start making more money for him.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I'm starting to look at the negotiations a little differently..

Sure, there's an impasse, but assuming they play in 2020 and assuming (again) a long term deal isn't done, Dallas can tag Dak again in 2021, meaning around 68 mil in two years. Not necessarily a sign that the FO is willing to move on from Dak. And as for Dak, not a bad chunk of change for a couple of seasons for someone "without a contract".

I'm willing to see how this plays out. Heck, if there's no 2020 season, than Dallas looks *real* smart because (a) the salary cap will plunge and (b) they can franchise him in '21 and '22 instead of '20 and '21.

Back to my original question...can he be franchised again for a 3rd straight year? Dak will be pushing 30 by then: we'll know how expendable he is (...or not).
It's three, but the 3rd year is out of the question. So in effect, its really 2 years.
You see people throwing in that 3rd year to make the numbers look crazy, but that 3rd year is not reality.

DFWJC

Reaction score
He actually would have made less money this year had he signed a long term contract last year. In terms of actual cash value. Also nfl contracts are not fully guaranteed so signing a big long term deal doesn't matter. It's the guaranteed money that matters. Dak is maximizing his $$'s. Everyone so quick to kick on these players for maximizing income but say nothing and support big corps that severely underpay and cut benefits to employees to maximize their profits.
No, because he would've gotten that 50 million signing bonus right off the bat.
He would've made WAY more cash this year.
Now, maybe his cap hot would be less. But his cash in pocket would've been huge.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Yep or Billions for a side piece business?
Sounds like robbery to me

Owning a football team is a side business? Not a business guy I take it?

Try starting your own business. Take some risks. See if you have the guts. See if you have what it takes.

Last edited:

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
No, because he would've gotten that 50 million signing bonus right off the bat.
He would've made WAY more cash this year.
Now, maybe his cap hot would be less. But his cash in pocket would've been huge.
Delaying taking cash now will pay off huge down the road. He has a chance to make 200m over the next 6 years if he takes both franchise tags this year and next. Taking the cash up front even getting 8%, 6% is more realistic, returns will only net 4m a year dropping the whole $50m in the bucket. The wealth managment company I work with has averaged around 6.75% over the last 5 years but that is in tax deferred funds which really shakes out to around 9% and that's with a crazy bull run that will probably never be seen again.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Its not wise to dump 30 million all at once into investments at one time. It needs to be broken up to get maximum effectiveness with the timing of the markets and tax deferred vehicles. You talk about something you don't know anything about. Yes your $500 should be invested immediately. Its a different ball game with that type of bread
You would not dump it all in the same thing - that would be silly - but nobody is letting 30-40 mill just sit in the bank earning 1%. Your putting it somewhere to earn something - don't be an ***. And you have no point he could have had it March of last year. Talk about something I know nothing about - you are funny!

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Delaying taking cash now will pay off huge down the road. He has a chance to make 200m over the next 6 years if he takes both franchise tags this year and next. Taking the cash up front even getting 8%, 6% is more realistic, returns will only net 4m a year dropping the whole $50m in the bucket. The wealth managment company I work with has averaged around 6.75% over the last 5 years but that is in tax deferred funds which really shakes out to around 9% and that's with a crazy bull run that will probably never be seen again.

Just buy Apple and buy lots of it and hold it no matter what happens. Might want to wait for a down tick but you cant go wrong buying it wherever it is.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Just buy Apple and buy lots of it and hold it no matter what happens. Might want to wait for a down tick but you cant go wrong buying it wherever it is.
The market over a 7 year period has historically netted 7%-8.5% growth depending on timing of investments. Like I said the run we've seen over the past 9 years will probably never be duplicated and it's bound to come back to earth.

Adreme

Reaction score
I'm starting to look at the negotiations a little differently..

Sure, there's an impasse, but assuming they play in 2020 and assuming (again) a long term deal isn't done, Dallas can tag Dak again in 2021, meaning around 68 mil in two years. Not necessarily a sign that the FO is willing to move on from Dak. And as for Dak, not a bad chunk of change for a couple of seasons for someone "without a contract".

I'm willing to see how this plays out. Heck, if there's no 2020 season, than Dallas looks *real* smart because (a) the salary cap will plunge and (b) they can franchise him in '21 and '22 instead of '20 and '21.

Back to my original question...can he be franchised again for a 3rd straight year? Dak will be pushing 30 by then: we'll know how expendable he is (...or not).

If there is no 2020 season it is likely it is likely the owners concede to letting it count as a year in exchange for other concessions so it would not be that good of a situation for the Cowboys. After all for the owners it is not money out of their pocket and they would be more focused on trying to reduce what they had to pay out in a no football season.

As for the total number of times you can franchise a player, the technical number is 3, but the problem is that while this years tag is 31m, next years tag will be 20% more than that (higher in the unlikely event the top 5 average salaries goes over that) or 37m. 37 milion is fine but year 3 it jumps by 40% to a little over 50m which is not really sustainable. It is not even really affordable to even try putting the tag on a QB for that 3rd season. So basically Dak is on a 2 year 68.5 million dollar deal at which point either the Cowboys will have resigned him or he will get some mega deal from one of the, up to a dozen, teams that will be bidding for his services.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
You would not dump it all in the same thing - that would be silly - but nobody is letting 30-40 mill just sit in the bank earning 1%. Your putting it somewhere to earn something - don't be an ***. And you have no point he could have had it March of last year. Talk about something I know nothing about - you are funny!
I do this for a living lol. I never said let it sit in a bank. But the time period for netting those returns is longer than what he can make in guarantees over the next 6 years. The math shows dak can probably make well over 200m in guarantees over the next 6 years playing 2 years on the tag. Let's say he takes the 175 over 5. only 110 of that is guaranteed and most never reach the end of their deal. If they are good then the team restructures and pushes it out while you can't negotiate. But lets say he plays it out and took the 50m last year and threw the whole thing in the market. He would make less fully investing all his money than doing what he is doing. That's why he didn't fold.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
If there is no 2020 season it is likely it is likely the owners concede to letting it count as a year in exchange for other concessions so it would not be that good of a situation for the Cowboys. After all for the owners it is not money out of their pocket and they would be more focused on trying to reduce what they had to pay out in a no football season.

As for the total number of times you can franchise a player, the technical number is 3, but the problem is that while this years tag is 31m, next years tag will be 20% more than that (higher in the unlikely event the top 5 average salaries goes over that) or 37m. 37 milion is fine but year 3 it jumps by 40% to a little over 50m which is not really sustainable. It is not even really affordable to even try putting the tag on a QB for that 3rd season. So basically Dak is on a 2 year 68.5 million dollar deal at which point either the Cowboys will have resigned him or he will get some mega deal from one of the, up to a dozen, teams that will be bidding for his services.
31.4+37.7

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The market over a 7 year period has historically netted 7%-8.5% growth depending on timing of investments. Like I said the run we've seen over the past 9 years will probably never be duplicated and it's bound to come back to earth.

If someone loses the race in a few months you can expect it to happen then. Other than Apple, I have gotten conservative in the market until after the race.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
If a certain person loses the race in a few months you can expect it to happen then. Other than Apple, I have gotten conservative in the market until after the race.
You and plenty of ppl trust me. I live 30 min outside nyc. When the market hit 18k the amount of clients calling me in a panic was crazy. I basically told them you aint a day trader relax, you're in it for the long haul. Now they are laughing at how crazy they sounded just a few months ago. But just a little piece of advice it's never a bad time to invest even in the market. I do recommend if you are looking to retire in the next 5-7 years try to start putting your investments in different areas that are more stable and are tax deferred. The strategy used to be accumulation now its trying to give your self tax deferred revenue streams that are conservative in growth but can last you longer through retirement with ppl now living longer. I usually charge for this.

Adreme

Reaction score
I do this for a living lol. I never said let it sit in a bank. But the time period for netting those returns is longer than what he can make in guarantees over the next 6 years. The math shows dak can probably make well over 200m in guarantees over the next 6 years playing 2 years on the tag. Let's say he takes the 175 over 5. only 110 of that is guaranteed and most never reach the end of their deal. If they are good then the team restructures and pushes it out while you can't negotiate. But lets say he plays it out and took the 50m last year and threw the whole thing in the market. He would make less fully investing all his money than doing what he is doing. That's why he didn't fold.

QBs can reach the end of their deals a LOT more than most players especially with this seemingly popular contract style adoped by now both Tannehill and Mahomes that makes you basically uncuttable.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
QBs can reach the end of their deals a LOT more than most players especially with this seemingly popular contract style adoped by now both Tannehill and Mahomes that makes you basically uncuttable.
Very true that's why i put that in my post that uses the situation him playing out the contract at that amount $175m. The fact that dak can make way more than that just in guarantees only 1 year further out is a no brainer for him. They needed to sweeten the deal last offseason since he was only gonna make 1.3m last year.

cern

Reaction score
You and plenty of ppl trust me. I live 30 min outside nyc. When the market hit 18k the amount of clients calling me in a panic was crazy. I basically told them you aint a day trader relax, you're in it for the long haul. Now they are laughing at how crazy they sounded just a few months ago. But just a little piece of advice it's never a bad time to invest even in the market. I do recommend if you are looking to retire in the next 5-7 years try to start putting your investments in different areas that are more stable and are tax deferred. The strategy used to be accumulation now its trying to give your self tax deferred revenue streams that are conservative in growth but can last you longer through retirement with ppl now living longer. I usually charge for this.
i've made far more from stock investments than income from work. but i'm a believer in buying early and selling when things are astronomically high. when i first heard brazil would host the world cup soccer championships and olympics, i started buying stocks in construction materials, specifically cement, sand and aggregates. i sold them for a fortune after the events were over. i took a risk on graphene and did very well. when i read about pigs dying at alarming rates in china, the largest consumer of pigs on the planet, i bought huge amounts of hog futures from brazil which also produced lots of swine. commodities, bought on a large scale are the way to go. and i've been big on military stocks since the 80's.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
i've made far more from stock investments than income from work. but i'm a believer in buying early and selling when things are astronomically high. when i first heard brazil would host the world cup soccer championships and olympics, i started buying stocks in construction materials, specifically cement, sand and aggregates. i sold them for a fortune after the events were over. i took a risk on graphene and did very well. when i read about pigs dying at alarming rates in china, the largest consumer of pigs on the planet, i bought huge amounts of hog futures from brazil which also produced lots of swine. commodities, bought on a large scale are the way to go. and i've been big on military stocks since the 80's.
Now tell me the things you whiffed on lol. We've all had em. My best timing investment was bitcoin but I'm pissed I didn't invest more. made a ton of $$ tho.