How many draft picks can make our team in any case?

Woods

Reaction score
Offense

QB 1 rookie behind Romo and B Johnson (or some other vet)

TE Likely 0

WR Up to 2, but I think we pick up a vet in FA, so I think 1 draft pick

OL Let's go with 1. (If Flo isn't re-signed, maybe 2.)

FB Maybe 1, but it's going to have to be a versatile rookie FB . . . .

RB I think 1. Both JJ and TT will be replaced, but I think 1 will be a vet, and the other a rookie. I don't think we'll have two rookies behind MBIII - if only to make sure the pass protection schemes are up to snuff.

Defense

DL 0 draft picks, unless Spears is traded or Fergy is cut/traded.

LB Up to 2. Maybe 1 ILB and one OLB. But I think 1 draft pick is more realistic, unless we trade/cut Carp, which I don't think is very likely.

CB/Safety We can use 2 CBs, but I think 1 of them will be a veteran. Assuming we let K Davis go, maybe 1 rookie Safety makes the team. So, let's go with 2 draft picks in the Secondary.

Kickers/Punters 0 Draft pick.

All in all, I see a realistic chance of up to 8 draft picks making the roster. I'm assuming we get 1 WR in FA, along with a 3rd CB, and 1 RB in FA.

I think we if trade down to accumulate picks Day 2, for example, it's going to be difficult for too many rookies to make our roster. Maybe 9 rookies in total can make it, but even that is pushing it, IMO.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Very interesting outlook on the draft. I could see most of those things happening.

I am interested as to who you think Dallas might look at Vet wise at the RB spot to replace Thompson and Jones (assuming they both leave).

Woods

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;1928221 said:
Very interesting outlook on the draft. I could see most of those things happening.

I am interested as to who you think Dallas might look at Vet wise at the RB spot to replace Thompson and Jones (assuming they both leave).

One guy that's interesting, IMO, is Fargas from the Raiders, and I think M Moore is also available. If Cartwright gets cut, he could also be interesting, as he also plays well on ST.

I really don't think we bring in 2 rookies to back up MBIII.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Woods;1928210 said:
Offense

QB 1 rookie behind Romo and B Johnson (or some other vet)

TE Likely 0

WR Up to 2, but I think we pick up a vet in FA, so I think 1 draft pick

OL Let's go with 1. (If Flo isn't re-signed, maybe 2.)

FB Maybe 1, but it's going to have to be a versatile rookie FB . . . .

RB I think 1. Both JJ and TT will be replaced, but I think 1 will be a vet, and the other a rookie. I don't think we'll have two rookies behind MBIII - if only to make sure the pass protection schemes are up to snuff.

Defense

DL 0 draft picks, unless Spears is traded or Fergy is cut/traded.

LB Up to 2. Maybe 1 ILB and one OLB. But I think 1 draft pick is more realistic, unless we trade/cut Carp, which I don't think is very likely.

CB/Safety We can use 2 CBs, but I think 1 of them will be a veteran. Assuming we let K Davis go, maybe 1 rookie Safety makes the team. So, let's go with 2 draft picks in the Secondary.

Kickers/Punters 0 Draft pick.

All in all, I see a realistic chance of up to 8 draft picks making the roster. I'm assuming we get 1 WR in FA, along with a 3rd CB, and 1 RB in FA.

I think we if trade down to accumulate picks Day 2, for example, it's going to be difficult for too many rookies to make our roster. Maybe 9 rookies in total can make it, but even that is pushing it, IMO.

I don't think you will see a 3rd QB on the roster. Just wouldn't make sense at this point because Dallas could have had Moore on the team last year and by all accounts, the team was high on him.

3rd QB spot should be a thing of the past soon.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Woods;1928225 said:
One guy that's interesting, IMO, is Fargas from the Raiders, and I think M Moore is also available. If Cartwright gets cut, he could also be interesting, as he also plays well on ST.

I really don't think we bring in 2 rookies to back up MBIII.

Unless the Raiders plan on McFadden, I think they keep Fargas because they really turned on Jordan. I wouldn't mind Moore behind Barber at all, when he got his chances with the Vikings (granted, behind their outstanding O-Line) he seemed to make the best of things and he's got solid hands out of the backfield. I'm not sure on his protection prowess though, and he is on the smaller side.

arglebargle

Reaction score
Cowboys could also push pics into the next year. But that will depend on the talent available at any particular round in the draft.

Good work on the original suggestions. It will be a juggling match in camp this year, no doubt...

sago1

Reaction score
Players we won't bring back or who might want move on:

1. Julius Jones
2. probably Terry Glenn
3. Nate Jones
4. Jacques Reeves?
5. Bobby Carpenter?
6. Marcus Spears?
7. T. Thompson
8. Keith Davis (might seek starter SS or FS on another team)
9. Either Hurd and/or Austin might not make team
10. Will we re-sign Adams? FYI: In 98 we drafted Adams in 2nd round & he started immediately at LT in preseason & throughout regular season. Played well and protected Troy Aikman's blindside. If Adams could start at LT as a rookie, then Doug Free (or Pat McQuistan?) could start in their 2nd or 3rd season replacing Adams.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I don't see very many rookies starting, some will make the squad though.

LarryCanadian

Reaction score
Good Thread!

I agree with the quality over quantity, although I don't want to package our early picks.

I'd like the 3 picks in the top 60, then I'd like to try and work our way into more 3rd and 4th round picks.

If we can trade away the later 2nd day picks for 1 earlier pick if there is a position of need and an intriguing player. Usually you don't do this, but I don't see 20 new players on the roster next year.

Everyone always says, don't pick for need, but this team has specific holes and some areas of high depth. Nothing against Carpenter, but we need another early round linebacker like a hole in the head.

Selective free agent pick ups might make the quality over quantity even more important.

ONE thing I might do as well is if we have late round picks, grab guys that will red shirt 2008/2009 season, but have high talent. I think a couple of guys at Senior Bowl already fit this bill. That way the roster spot isn't used, but we get a talented boost with upside on injury recovery the following season (no diff then Stanback this year really). RB, CB, WR are some spots to consider the late injury guy if we have picks left with little or no chance the guy makes the team.

LarryCanadian

cowboysfan31

Reaction score
I believe Canty is a restricted FA this year, and I would expect us to put a 2nd round tender on him but a team like Cleveland or Miami might be willing to give that up for him. Just another thing to think about...

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
cowboysfan31;1928465 said:
I believe Canty is a restricted FA this year, and I would expect us to put a 2nd round tender on him but a team like Cleveland or Miami might be willing to give that up for him. Just another thing to think about...

I doubt anyone will go after Canty with a 2nd round tender, he's been solid for us, but it's not like he's dominating.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
TheCount;1928477 said:
I doubt anyone will go after Canty with a 2nd round tender, he's been solid for us, but it's not like he's dominating.

I wouldn't put it past Parcells. He's got two second round picks and a glaring hole at end. I'd pretty much count on Miami going 3-4. They've got some of the pieces, but need a few 3-4 ends.

As far as draft picks making the team, the Cowboys could easily upgrade any of these guys:

Alan Ball
Evan Oglesby
Joe Berger
Cory Procter
Oliver Hoyte
Deon Anderson
Tyson Thompson

Flo, Hamlin, Jones are all free agents.

Glenn and Ferguson could be cap cuts.

Hurd and Austin are OK 4-5 type receivers, but they could be upgraded as well.

ILB is another position that could use some depth/upgrades.

Plenty of opportunity for a draft pick to make this team.

My biggest fear is that Jerry blows a bunch of picks moving up for one guy. The team is in perfect position to add depth/build for the future at key positions like WR, RB and CB.

Cowboys&Caps

Reaction score
Thehoofbite;1928244 said:
I don't think you will see a 3rd QB on the roster. Just wouldn't make sense at this point because Dallas could have had Moore on the team last year and by all accounts, the team was high on him.

3rd QB spot should be a thing of the past soon.

We are special with P Crayton, he is our emergency...

LarryCanadian

Reaction score
If I was a GM I'd give up a 2nd round pick for Canty in a heartbeat. The guy still has upside, and probably could play in 4-3 or 3-4. He's slowly getting better and has the natural size/speed, just needs more polish.

We need to tender him a 1st I think or a few teams will bite.

LarryCanadian

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
Woods;1928210 said:

I agree...Reeves, Jones and Davis are probably gone from our secondary...that is 3 spots right there

we need 2 or maybe 3 ILB I don't believe Carp is the answer and I believe he will be traded... I also think that Burnett will be given a chance to win the spot opposite Brady ... but we have to get better here.

we might still need another OLB to backup Ware...

so on Defense alone that is 6 -7 positions

I think a RB and WR are a given and maybe a QB so thats 10

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Woods;1928210 said:

it is always difficult for day 2 picks to make any team