How many draft picks can make our team in any case?

sago1

Reaction score
The only problem if we have a lot of good 2nd day picks who can't make the team because they need more development then we risk losing them if we try to place them on our PS. I'd like to do what the Broncos did last year when they traded all their 2nd day picks after the 4th round to move up very high in the 4th round. Now I wouldn't necessary trade away our 5th rounder cause there might still be some players who could help us but I'd sure use our 6th & 7th picks to move up in any round we can.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
junk;1928757 said:
I wouldn't put it past Parcells. He's got two second round picks and a glaring hole at end. I'd pretty much count on Miami going 3-4. They've got some of the pieces, but need a few 3-4 ends.

As far as draft picks making the team, the Cowboys could easily upgrade any of these guys:

Alan Ball
Evan Oglesby
Joe Berger
Cory Procter
Oliver Hoyte
Deon Anderson
Tyson Thompson

Flo, Hamlin, Jones are all free agents.

Glenn and Ferguson could be cap cuts.

Hurd and Austin are OK 4-5 type receivers, but they could be upgraded as well.

ILB is another position that could use some depth/upgrades.

Plenty of opportunity for a draft pick to make this team.

My biggest fear is that Jerry blows a bunch of picks moving up for one guy. The team is in perfect position to add depth/build for the future at key positions like WR, RB and CB.

:hammer:

We sure would miss Canty though unless we got somebody to replace him with one of our 1st 3 picks..

cowboysfan31

Reaction score
ELDudearino;1929223 said:
:hammer:

We sure would miss Canty though unless we got somebody to replace him with one of our 1st 3 picks..

If someone takes Canty, the player I would pick to replace him would be Trevor Laws out of Notre Dame. He's 6'1" 297lbs and lightning quick. All week he gave the OL fits and he showed the ability to use his hands to disengage from blocks and he showed several good pass-rush moves on the inside.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I would like to see Canty tendered to a 1st rounder. The price difference isn't that big. Something like 500K.

I think Canty plays a bigger role then hes given credit for. I think keeping the front 7 intact is key to getting the most production out of them. Unity and cohesiveness are things that raw talent cannot produce.

Woods

Reaction score
Thehoofbite;1929698 said:
I would like to see Canty tendered to a 1st rounder. The price difference isn't that big. Something like 500K.

I think Canty plays a bigger role then hes given credit for. I think keeping the front 7 intact is key to getting the most production out of them. Unity and cohesiveness are things that raw talent cannot produce.

I would defintely tender Canty with a 1st rounder. He's definitely a rising talent and should continue to improve.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
jwhardin;1928271 said:
This year quality over quanity.

Yep, we should only be aiming to get about 4-5 guys. But ALL of them will be expected to contribute in some way this season.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
arglebargle;1928300 said:
Cowboys could also push pics into the next year. But that will depend on the talent available at any particular round in the draft.

Good work on the original suggestions. It will be a juggling match in camp this year, no doubt...

I like this with anything beyone the 4th round.
Also maybe on the RB front - replace with RB with expirence - for minimum.
Does not have to have a lot of years on the clock.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
we need to add 3 CBs since we've woefully neglected that position the past decade.

lots of room for picks.

trading up is beyond stupid (not that i read that i just wanted to post it again)

starfrombirth

Reaction score
junk;1928757 said:
I wouldn't put it past Parcells. He's got two second round picks and a glaring hole at end. I'd pretty much count on Miami going 3-4. They've got some of the pieces, but need a few 3-4 ends.

As far as draft picks making the team, the Cowboys could easily upgrade any of these guys:

Alan Ball
Evan Oglesby
Joe Berger
Cory Procter
Oliver Hoyte
Deon Anderson
Tyson Thompson

Flo, Hamlin, Jones are all free agents.

Glenn and Ferguson could be cap cuts.

Hurd and Austin are OK 4-5 type receivers, but they could be upgraded as well.

ILB is another position that could use some depth/upgrades.

Plenty of opportunity for a draft pick to make this team.

My biggest fear is that Jerry blows a bunch of picks moving up for one guy. The team is in perfect position to add depth/build for the future at key positions like WR, RB and CB.

Deon and Hoyte, by all accounts, are very good FB's who block very well and Deon was very good out of the backfield. You are going to have to be very good to replace either of them. Glenn is gone Fegie will be back now that we have 2 people to spell him, that spot will be DOMINANT. Ratliff and Hatcher will also rotate outside with Canty and Spears ** see above note about dominance **. I am VERY concerned about our receiving team however. I believe Stanback will replace Hurd and Austin (although of the two i like that Austin is uncovered alot). I'm not convinced that Crayton can't be beat out by either a Stanback or a rookie (Supposedly great hands or not). Watkins is coming on as safety and Ball is pretty fast as well. That will be hard to break into. Jones and Tyson are both gone ( I believe this will be Mendenhall's spot - not my pick, just my belief). I also believe Flo' will want too much for us to keep. Along with Proctor and Berger, this oline gets a major overhaul with the young talent we have already drafted and that we will take in the 3rd and 4th. We will take a WR, RB, and CB with our first 3 picks... book it.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;1928221 said:
I am interested as to who you think Dallas might look at Vet wise at the RB spot to replace Thompson and Jones (assuming they both leave).

I bet we look hard at Tatum Bell. Parcells supposedly liked him a lot coming out, and he's got great speed.

He actually reminds me some of Felix Jones. Bell is a little faster; Jones probably has better vision and elusiveness.