How Many Millions did Dak just lose?

CPanther95

Reaction score
That’s the risk these guys take on Franchise Tag. A huge risk in a brutal contact sport.

Social media is full of people whining that the Cowboys "did Dak dirty" or "made him play without a long term contract".

Every contract is a risk. Both sides have to agree on value. It's too soon to know if this injury will have any impact at all, but if it does, that's one of the risks both sides knew about.

Just looking at the current contract, if anyone is "getting screwed", it's the Cowboys. They paid $31M for 16 games and are only getting 4 games out of him.

Last edited:

khiladi

Reaction score
Analysts have already been calling his numbers as ‘empty calories’. Nobody is buying Dak’s stats..

The only reason why players are probably saying Dak was done dirty, is because Jerry Jones sets precedents in the league business-wise. With him lowering the ball on these outrageous contracts for scrubs like Dak and Goff, they see money out of their own pocjersz

jsb357

Reaction score
the players could have addressed the tag , rookie contracts, permanent health insurance in the last CBA but they did not.

they settled for relaxed rules on weed use

:dance:

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
We just don’t know what will happen with Dak.

And I don’t have any attachment to Andy. He is the most veteran backup we’ve had this era. 9 or 10 year starter. What 5 or 6 playoff appearances with Bengals in his prime. Not bad.

But the Daksters will be rooting hard against him.
Please. I’m a huge Dak fan but I want Dalton to win as much as possible.

ICP

Reaction score
I don't think it matters unless his injury ends up being Bridgwater or Alex Smith bad. If anything Jerry will feel bad for him and back up the Brinks truck

waving monkey

Reaction score
Dak bet on himself he turned down a four year deal worth an estimted 120+ million most of which was garanteed, Dak bet he would not have a serious injury and play well. How many millions did he just loose ? And if Andy Dalton plays well could this be the end of Prescott in Dallas ?
JJ may met his demands now

LovinItAll

Reaction score
It's always interesting to read and hear what people think of other people's money.

1. It's nobody's business.

2. With the franchise contract, Dak secured generational money. He was probably also insured, but again, nobody's business.

3. Take a middle-of-the-road outcome. Let's say Dak makes a full recovery, but can't get the same deal he would've gotten had he remained healthy. Let's put a moderate contract in place, say 5 years, $125Mm. After taxes and agent fees, he's still going to bring home ~$60MM, and that's without his endorsements. So in 6 years, he'll pocket ~$75MM, excluding endorsements.

4. Again, generational wealth. The difference in lifestyle between having $75MM and $125MM is negligible. He'll provide for his family just fine either way.

5. These discussions are always had by people who can't fathom having this type of wealth. Is it a billion? No, and it never was going to be.

6. I have zero problem with Dak getting his. I would. Either way, the young man is set for life. He doesn't strike me as a ballin' LT type, so this discussion should be over, at it's inconsequential.

7. I want Dak back in the saddle for the Cowboys. If you don't, that's cool. As soon as I hear you calling for a trade or talking about how Dalton is just as good or that we should go with an unproven QB or try to get Lawrence, I'll immediately start ignoring you, which will be no loss to either of us.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
The cap may likely be $175M next year. No way the Cowboys can franchise Dak next year at that cap number. Same for all teams. A scramble to get under.

Even before the injury, I do not see how the Cowboys were going to fit him in next year unless he signs a team friendly deal.

Will he be run-shy when he comes back? If so, he is worth less. He is not the prototypical pocket passer.

Playmaker247

Reaction score
The cap may likely be $175M next year. No way the Cowboys can franchise Dak next year at that cap number. Same for all teams. A scramble to get under.

Even before the injury, I do not see how the Cowboys were going to fit him in next year unless he signs a team friendly deal.

Will he be run-shy when he comes back? If so, he is worth less. He is not the prototypical pocket passer.
News flash: prototypical pocket passers don’t exist anymore aside from the old guys drafted awhile ago. Just look at all the QB’s drafted recently. The days of statues sitting in the locket are down as they should be. Idk why so many people on this board fantasize about them like they are some prize to be had. This isn’t the 90’s!

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score

If we sign him long term....It would be the dumbest deal Jerry has ever concocted....Seriously- Jerry got off the hook today. He has his excuse to not give Dak.. Mahomes money...And Jerry better not screw this up. :rolleyes:

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
News flash: prototypical pocket passers don’t exist anymore aside from the old guys drafted awhile ago. Just look at all the QB’s drafted recently. The days of statues sitting in the locket are down as they should be. Idk why so many people on this board fantasize about them like they are some prize to be had. This isn’t the 90’s!

News flash: which is why I said if. If he shies away from running then he will in effect become a pocket passer. And he is not that and teams do not want that.

Blue64

Reaction score
Dak bet on himself he turned down a four year deal worth an estimted 120+ million most of which was garanteed, Dak bet he would not have a serious injury and play well. How many millions did he just loose ? And if Andy Dalton plays well could this be the end of Prescott in Dallas ?
All that’s important now is like him or not, Dak has a long road ahead to recovery.
Just wish him the best, I do believe one thing about Jerrah despite all his failings, he’s loyal to his players. I don’t think anyone did not realise potential aside this guy is the leader of this team judging from the reaction of his teammates.
Hopefully Dalton plays well and gets some redemption but this is Dak’s team. Period.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
@LovinItAll I only care about a player’s salary because of the cap. Need to have enough to pay other players. Overpay on a couple and it can be disastrous. There is an art to the cap.

I understand, but no team has had sustained success without a very good QB1, and they aren't cheap. Cooper's deal is palatable, Gallup, Lamb, and TEs on the roster are dirt cheap, and Zeke's deal is what it is. They're going to have to plug the defense with serviceable players. Our offense will score the points, as had been evidenced in 4 of 5 games this year.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He’s probably insured his down side. It’ll depend how well Dalton plays with the same team.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

it may turn out a blessing for cowboys to save some so we can reload for next year....i want Dak and Zeke and Pollard and Gallup and CeeDee and our tight end that got hurt...trade Coop get defensive players and draft O line and defense

only next year....i think that could be a recipe to put serious hurt on our opponents....i can see the possible wisdom of keeping Dalton in place of Dak just because of monies saved to be used elsewhere.....i think Cowboys are in drivers

seat to reload next year...interesting...but i still want me some Dak

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Don't know what to think.

This could go in so many different directions.

you are being honest....in reality none of us know ....what if Dalton shines and Zeke eats and they change back to 1-gap scheme so our lackluster defensive players become more competent....and we turn thing around/

someone wake me up from this dream

Swagger

Reaction score
Social media is full of people whining that the Cowboys "did Dak dirty" or "made him play without a long term contract".

Every contract is a risk. Both sides have to agree on value. It's too soon to know if this injury will have any impact at all, but if it does, that's one of the risks both sides knew about.

Just looking at the current contract, if anyone is "getting screwed", it's the Cowboys. They paid $31M for 16 games and are only getting 4 games out of him.
Prescott rejected a contract offer with long term security. I do not understand how the Cowboys did him dirty. He was offered more money than Wentz and Goff - whilst sad, his injury arguably proves the front office were correct in not paying any player circa $40+ with a salary cap as the risk is not worth taking in such a dangerous sport.