CFZ How many more years will Dak be a starter?

Blitzen

Reaction score
I’m going to say max is 5 years. It could be much less, and I tend to believe it will be more like 3 more years. The reason I think this is his playing style and injury history.

QB’s that play way into their 30’s are very good at managing a disruptive pocket. They excel at picking apart defenses with precision and timing. That is not Dak’s game. He and the offense as a whole revolves around the rushing attack. Dak can complement a dominant run game by taking advantage of an overzealous defense.

The problem is he has lost noticeable speed and agility-and he was never a fantastic runner to begin with. He has poor take off speed and poor lateral agility (relatively speaking) which will make him a target in the pocket this year and any season that follows it.

I say all this knowing that if he and the team continue to rack up regular season wins (despite next to zero playoff success), he will get several more years to start.

817Gill

Reaction score
Until he can’t go anymore or some surprise QB shows he can play, just like Romo.

In the NFL front offices seldomly move on from top 10-12 QB’s unless they are either built to be ultra aggressive with a top tier coaching staff and GM or if the contractual impasses are just too much.

Unless Dak suffers chronic long term injuries or demands top dollar and short years deal after deal (Kirk Cousins is a great example of this), he’ll be here for the foreseeable future.

Jarntt

Reaction score
This is a tough one and gets into the discussion of what each person would do vs what the team will do. As far as what the team will do which I believe is what is being asked, the answer is 6 more years IMO - 2 more year son current deal and a 4 year extension. So that is my answer to the OPs question and I feel that an answer of between 5 and 7 more years has like a 95% chance of happening unless he has a career ending injury.

Personally, and I've said it many times in the last few months, I wouldn't extend Dak "yet" and would instead wait for this season to play out and we have the cap room to not extend him regardless of what some want to say. He is going to be 30 this Summer and has injury issues lately and that would make him 35 by the end of a 4 year extension. I'm not blaming Dak for this teams lack of post season success, but I am saying he is at least part of the issue. As Einstein's saying about insanity goes, you can't keep doing the same thing and expect different results. Is paying a pretty good, but not great QB $50M in a cap world the best solution knowing it limits what else you can do with your roster? Is it better to pay a journey man QB half that and give him another All Pro OL (or some other position) and another good starter with the savings? Or is it better to draft/find a rookie and pay him like $45M less per year and significantly upgrade the team everywhere else? I think the idea that has permeated the NFL that you just pay a QB $50M per year because he is next up without looking at performance compared to the top guys is seriously flawed and will hurt teams more often than it helps teams. With the top QBs like Mahomes and Burrow I absolutely do it. With guys like Dak and Hurts and Jackson and Daniel Jones I think it more often will end up a mistake and an albatross around the teams cap. My personal answer if I were GM would be:

If we do not have more postseason success this year: 2 more years. I let Dak play out his contract and start looking for a new QB to start after his contract is up in 2025. Again, I'm not blaming Dak but at some point you need to try a different strategy and when you are the QB and making over 20% of the cap and you are getting up there in age, you are the place I start because you can't get rid of everyone. In this scenario I also get rid of the head coach and some other players as well.

If we do have more postseason success this year: I lock Dak up for 3 or 4 more years. I also keep the HC and some of those highly priced vets that likely helped us to achieve said playoff success in this scenario and happily pay Dak $50M per.

Last edited:

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
This is a tough one and gets into the discussion of what each person would do vs what the team will do. As far as what the team will do which I believe is what is being asked, the answer is 6 more years IMO - 2 more year son current deal and a 4 year extension. So that is my answer to the OPs question and I feel that an answer of between 5 and 7 more years has like a 95% chance of happening unless he has a career ending injury.

Personally, and I've said it many times in the last few months, I wouldn't extend Dak "yet" and would instead wait for this season to play out and we have the cap room to not extend him regardless of what some want to say. He is going to be 30 this Summer and has injury issues lately and that would make him 35 by the end of a 4 year extension. I'm not blaming Dak for this teams lack of post season success, but I am saying he is at least part of the issue. As Einstein's saying about insanity goes, you can't keep doing the same thing and expect different results. Is paying a pretty good, but not great QB $50M in a cap world the best solution knowing it limits what else you can do with your roster? Is it better to pay a journey man QB half that and give him another All Pro OL (or some other position) and another good starter with the savings? Or is it better to draft/find a rookie and pay him like $45M less per year and significantly upgrade the team everywhere else? I think the idea that has permeated the NFL that you just pay a QB $50M per year because he is next up without looking at performance compared to the top guys is seriously flawed and will hurt teams more often than it helps teams. With the top QBs like Mahomes and Burrow I absolutely do it. With guys like Dak and Hurts and Jackson and Daniel Jones I think it more often will end up a mistake and an albatross around the teams cap. My personal answer if I were GM would be:

If we do not have more postseason success this year: 2 more years. I let Dak play out his contract and start looking for a new QB to start after his contract is up in 2025. Again, I'm not blaming Dak but at some point you need to try a different strategy and when you are the QB and making over 20% of the cap and you are getting up there in age, you are the place I start because you can't get rid of everyone. In this scenario I also get rid of the head coach and some other players as well.

If we do have more postseason success this year: I lock Dak up for 3 or 4 more years. I also keep the HC and some of those highly priced vets that likely helped us to achieve said playoff success in this scenario and happily pay Dak $50M per.
Good read. I agree. You can draft a Prescott every 2-3 years and never pay them big money and get the same results. With the savings you would have 3-4 more top tier players on Defense, trenches and skill positions.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Good read. I agree. You can draft a Prescott every 2-3 years and never pay them big money and get the same results. With the savings you would have 3-4 more top tier players on Defense, trenches and skill positions.
If drafting/changing QBs every "2-3" years were that successful and easy why is it that no team has ever done it?

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
If drafting/changing QBs every "2-3" years were that successful and easy why is it that no team has ever done it?
Because teams are now just starting to face the reality of paying a QB 50 million dollars per year. San Fran has shown this approach will work if your defense and running game is sound. Philly made the mistake (thankfully) of paying Hurts. I think they could have kept their team together and been just as successful drafting the next Hurts. Same goes for Ravens Cards and Dallas. Prescott, Murray, Hurts and Jackson... you can draft guys with their skillset (Most recently AR15, Jaren Hall, DTR, Will Levis) for much less money and likely have the same success.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Probably until he has an injury like Romo. Jerry doesn't like to go after QBs.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
Hopefully just this season. We have a great defense now and we are switching to more of a short passing/run based offense. I do believe Dak will play fine. I also don't believe you need to pay a QB top dollar to run that kind of offense which is what Dak always wants. The guy had like 19 turnovers last year, he rarely runs with the ball, and his defense reading skills are suspect. He's not going to get markedly better at this point. It's time to just eat his salary and move on.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Probably until he has an injury like Romo. Jerry doesn't like to go after QBs.
+1 Dak is not going anywhere ever. Jerry has given him the special robes of protection. He will make max money. he will never have to compete against anyone. He will never be criticized from within the organization. His every whim will be catered to.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
Because teams are now just starting to face the reality of paying a QB 50 million dollars per year. San Fran has shown this approach will work if your defense and running game is sound. Philly made the mistake (thankfully) of paying Hurts. I think they could have kept their team together and been just as successful drafting the next Hurts. Same goes for Ravens Cards and Dallas. Prescott, Murray, Hurts and Jackson... you can draft guys with their skillset (Most recently AR15, Jaren Hall, DTR, Will Levis) for much less money and likely have the same success.
Sorry but I disagree. I believe good qb talent is hard to come by.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
I don't think he will have a long career because of the nature of his injury

Hopefully he lasts a few more years

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is his last season as a Cowboy.
Why do you think there hoarding 20 million in cap dollars?
For you, Dak lovers man up and admit he's had more than his share of chances and fallen flat on his sweaty deer in the headlights face!
The 214 era ends in the Spring of 2024.
dakandzeke.jpg