How many of you would take less?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It's ridiculously funny to me that some keep saying "take less"!!!! Would you settle? Less money for your family? Less money for a career that might be cut short with and injury! Less money for a team that will cut you as soon as you slip? What the hell?? I get it, salary cap....blah, blah ,blah. I wouldn't settle and I sure as hell don't blame anyone that would.
Totally agree. Players should attempt to maximize their value.

And I wouldn’t let anyone hold me hostage either.
Owners have to be willing to stand their ground and walk away if necessary. That’s the only sound negotiating tactic. Otherwise players will simply wait for them to cave.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Take less than what, that’s the question. Less than the highest paid? Less than you’re worth? I think Dak should get what he’s worth which means a contract that makes him between the 5th and 7th highest paid QB. If he is asking to be the highest paid QB, then yes, he should take less.

ultron

Reaction score
Being the quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys is unique, you get opportunities that other QBs simply don’t get. Not only does Dak make a TON of money in endorsements, but what are the last 2 star quarterbacks of the Cowboys doing right now? Hint: one just signed a 17 million dollar contract...

You HAVE to factor this in, would Dak be in every other commercial on TV if he played for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers? Hell no.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Its not Daks job to take less. Its Its the jone's job to not overpay because agents say that is what the market is. The gm/owner could go get someone else who will take less and still get to 8-9 wins.

Verdict

Reaction score
It's ridiculously funny to me that some keep saying "take less"!!!! Would you settle? Less money for your family? Less money for a career that might be cut short with and injury! Less money for a team that will cut you as soon as you slip? What the hell?? I get it, salary cap....blah, blah ,blah. I wouldn't settle and I sure as hell don't blame anyone that would.

It depends. In Dak’s case, I think he benefits in endorsements by winning a SB and at some point his cap hit hurts the team depth to the point that it would be hard for him to win a SB.

Personally, I moved to the rural area where I grew up because my family is here. I could have made a LOT more money living in a larger city, but I chose family over just pure maximizing income.

So yeah, it’s not that far fetched.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score

I would definitely without a doubt take less if I had the dream job I wanted in a good location with the potential to make a lot of extra money for endorsements. Especially if I didn't have to move from a nice city like Dallas in a state with low taxes. For example, would it be worth it t take a job in Buffalo for an extra $2M per year.

Not much difference in making $30M vs $33M per year. It is more than enough money. Quality of life and location and friends and family matter a lot.

I live near Balt. but would love to live in San Diego. I would not jump ship to take a job in San Diego paying $10-20K more per year. Houses here are around $350-400K, $750K in San Diego. My family and friends are near and I have a job that I like and a nice boss. It is not all about money.

I could get an extra $10K if I went into management as a supervisor. That $10K is not worth it to me to supervise people and have to deal with a bunch of stupid stuff.

JJHLH1

Reaction score
He got paid exactly what his draft spot called for. Just like every other player in that draft and every other player drafted since the rookie wage scale came into affect. It's not Dak's fault. It's not Stephen's fault. That's the way the system is set up.

I agree completely, and to Dak’s credit I don’t recall him complaining about it a single time.

The bargain days are now over. If the Cowboys want to retain his services they are going to have to pay the market rate. Dak shouldn’t settle for anything less. He’s earned it.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
Winning doesn't cost you a few millions lol. Whatever they save from Dak taking some magical pay cut would be used on overpaying someone else lol. That's how this works.
thats how it works? You do realize that Brady "took less" right?

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I do. I've taught for 25 years in a rural district. I've had opportunities to go to larger districts for more money, but my family and I are happy where we are.

I guess it all comes down to what makes you happy. If money makes you happy, then I guess you hold out for all you can get. If you enjoy your co-workers, community, and your job then I say it's not a big deal to take less than market value.
I was a teacher/coach for 30 years. I took paycuts along the way if the reasons were rig
I hear ya loud and clear from up here in Canada.
Do they have football in Canada?

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
The answer is zero. Not any man that's a competitor in the top 32 at their position in the world.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Take less? Why? So the Joneses don't have to spend the money? Have they been butting up against that cap in the last 4 years? Hell no, they're not spending more than any other team, this "Booger would spend it all with no cap" is the funniest stuff on this forum. They are not the high rollers some here purport them to be.

The thinking in taking less is that with that money, people challenged with building a team, are going to magically pay the right player to make all the difference. You don't even know if these aholes would even spend that money.

Every player in the NFL should get the max amount they can get while they can, that's the game. There is no loyalty from either side, this is 100% a business and football just happens to be the product.