How many of you would take less?

pete026

Reaction score
Counting on endorsements....... funny stuff.

That would be like counting on a bonus or raise in the business world which the NFL is. I would say it's stupid to do that. A financial advisor would say you're crazy.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
thats how it works? You do realize that Brady "took less" right?
You do realize that out of thousands of NFL players.....the only example you guys use is Tom Brady who's partner is worth 360 million dollars. He's a exception to the rule. Not only that but when it was time for him to get paid and get his first deal he didn't "take less".

On September 10, 2010, Brady signed a four-year, $72 million contract extension, making him the highest-paid player in the NFL. The extension included $48.5 million in guaranteed money.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's an assumption at this point based purely on who you personally think they could get.
And assuming they can win one with him.

There are more posters in this forum that care about the SB than the Joneses or any other owner. They'd all like to win one but that's not the reason they bought a NFL franchise. They are no driven or consumed by winning a ring.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
thats how it works? You do realize that Brady "took less" right?
Brady will get paid.........however whoever gives Brady big money will ultimately be paying for the super bowls he won for the Patriots not for future success........That's pretty brilliant on the Patriots part, they got the trophy's and another team pays the price...... Tom's tank is nearing empty.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Counting on endorsements....... funny stuff.

That would be like counting on a bonus or raise in the business world which the NFL is. I would say it's stupid to do that. A financial advisor would say you're crazy.

You're right, but the quarterback of the Cowboys can always count on some kind of endorsement deal. We don't see Bengals, Jaguars, or Buccaneers quarterbacks on TV ads all the time. Dak made more in endorsements the past couple years than he did playing the sport. Add that to a $33 million per year deal and I don't think he'll starve the next six years.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's ridiculously funny to me that some keep saying "take less"!!!! Would you settle? Less money for your family? Less money for a career that might be cut short with and injury! Less money for a team that will cut you as soon as you slip? What the hell?? I get it, salary cap....blah, blah ,blah. I wouldn't settle and I sure as hell don't blame anyone that would.
I’m of the opinion that it’s hard for us in the lives we lead as fans to put ourselves in the shoes an NFL athlete who has 3-10 years to make the most money they will ever make in their life. I don’t think it’s fair for us to say a guy “should take less” anymore than it would be fair for someone looking at one of our jobs and tell us, “You should take less”. Just not fair for us to say that to these guys.

If I had been underpaid for 4 years and my boss said he wanted me but for less than market value....uh, hale no I wouldn’t take less.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
It's ridiculously funny to me that some keep saying "take less"!!!! Would you settle? Less money for your family? Less money for a career that might be cut short with and injury! Less money for a team that will cut you as soon as you slip? What the hell?? I get it, salary cap....blah, blah ,blah. I wouldn't settle and I sure as hell don't blame anyone that would.

Here is where I disagree with you. At $30-40mm per year their is no impact to your families quality of life. It’s a lot of money. Tighten that range to 33 to 37mm. 33 with a better chance to win is the better deal. Over history I am not sure if a top 3 paid QB has ever won the SB. There is a reason for that.

TheHerd

Reaction score
Would I take 35M instead of 38M for a better experience? Yes. Either is plenty.

I can honestly answer this, because I took significantly less to move here and I'm in a much better work and environment with MUCH smaller numbers, to the point of the current position being a stretch for us

Quality of life is worth more to me than others. I know everyone else on here may be independently wealthy, but I am not. I still chose other things over money.

So would I take less for a better experience (in Dak's case better odds of winning), I say yes.

pete026

Reaction score
You're right, but the quarterback of the Cowboys can always count on some kind of endorsement deal. We don't see Bengals, Jaguars, or Buccaneers quarterbacks on TV ads all the time. Dak made more in endorsements the past couple years than he did playing the sport. Add that to a $33 million per year deal and I don't think he'll starve the next six years.
So Dak flames out for the next 2-3 years, gets injured and is nowhere near the same QB whether you believe he is average or elite now, what if he gets traded. What then? Where are all those Cowboy endorsements? Why is guaranteed money so important to players?

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would definitely without a doubt take less if I had the dream job I wanted in a good location with the potential to make a lot of extra money for endorsements. Especially if I didn't have to move from a nice city like Dallas in a state with low taxes. For example, would it be worth it t take a job in Buffalo for an extra $2M per year.

Not much difference in making $30M vs $33M per year. It is more than enough money. Quality of life and location and friends and family matter a lot.

I live near Balt. but would love to live in San Diego. I would not jump ship to take a job in San Diego paying $10-20K more per year. Houses here are around $350-400K, $750K in San Diego. My family and friends are near and I have a job that I like and a nice boss. It is not all about money.

I could get an extra $10K if I went into management as a supervisor. That $10K is not worth it to me to supervise people and have to deal with a bunch of stupid stuff.
A lot of its.
I’m of the opinion that it’s hard for us in the lives we lead as fans to put ourselves in the shoes an NFL athlete who has 3-10 years to make the most money they will ever make in their life. I don’t think it’s fair for us to say a guy “should take less” anymore than it would be fair for someone looking at one of our jobs and tell us, “You should take less”. Just not fair for us to say that to these guys.

If I had been underpaid for 4 years and my boss said he wanted me but for less than market value....uh, hale no I wouldn’t take less.
I was a Texas HS football head coach, our jobs were year to year. Luckily I survived 13 years and retired on my terms, but I know the perils of a bad season leads to being cut or taking a 60 % paycut.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A lot of its.

I was a Texas HS football head coach, our jobs were year to year. Luckily I survived 13 years and retired on my terms, but I know the perils of a bad season leads to being cut or taking a 60 % paycut.
I’m retired educator too my friend. (Former teacher, principal and superintendent) I have a son who is a high school basketball coach so I can appreciate what the coaching life is like.

I still believe however that being a HS coach and an NFL QB is not a good comparison. Do I wish players would ask for less? Sure, I guess so. But do I think it’s fair for us to ask them to do that? No I don’t.

StuckMojo

Reaction score
I’m not wanting him to ask for less, I’m just wanting Dallas not to offer more!

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m retired educator too my friend. (Former teacher, principal and superintendent) I have a son who is a high school basketball coach so I can appreciate what the coaching life is like.

I still believe however that being a HS coach and an NFL QB is not a good comparison. Do I wish players would ask for less? Sure, I guess so. But do I think it’s fair for us to ask them to do that? No I don’t.
I was offered a job about 10 years ago, would have made me one of the highest paid coaches in the state. I took a bit of a cut to add an extra coach. Been there done that. BTW, I have also been a head basketball coach....good luck to your son. Education is a very rewarding profession.

plymkr

Reaction score
If it was me it would depend on the position and other factors. I would take less as a QB of the Dallas Cowboys for one reason. Tony Romo. Look at Tony Romo, he's making 17+ million in his after NFL career. He was an above average QB on the Dallas Cowboys and won just one playoff win. Now some of Romo's post NFL success is due to his skill but being the face of America's team helped him greatly. Look at Witten. He sucked at MNF but originally got the job cuz he was a Cowboy. If I was in Dak's position and looking at the former Cowboys QBs post NFL success then I would take less money to try and win the superbowl. Superbowl winning QB from the Cowboys is going to have a lifetime of endorsements. He would make more as a superbowl winning QB than an above average QB when his career is over. So take a little less now to make more later.

If I was a RB, WR or any other position then no I wouldn't take less.

Tom Brady took less money and will have lots of endorsements. Phillip Rivers didn't take less and never won a super bowl. There's something about a superbowl winning QB that will make money after their careers.

That's just my opinion and what I would do in Dak's place. The difference between 33 million and 37 million could make or break a superbowl team. Look at Jay Cutler, Phillip Rivers, etc.

bewp7

Reaction score
i would not and i dont want dak to take less. i just dont want the cowboys to pay him what he wants because i want to see them win a super bowl and i think giving a qb like dak that much money will preclude them from doing that!

Kwyn

Reaction score
The answer is “none of us”

The arguments stating that once you’re rich it doesn’t matter are idiotic

what if I would prefer to donate the money to a charity of my choice?

what if I’m trying to build a business outside of football?

what if I’m trying to ensure generational wealth not just for my wife and children but for my entire family?

It’s easy to spend other people’s money or criticize how they spend it But it’s theirs to do with as they please.

if you don’t like it and want to advocate for redistributing wealththere are a number of nations around the world who would be happy to have you join their workers paradise.

plymkr

Reaction score
i would not and i dont want dak to take less. i just dont want the cowboys to pay him what he wants because i want to see them win a super bowl and i think giving a qb like dak that much money will preclude them from doing that!
I agree. I think Dak is good and an above average franchise QB. But to win the super bowl he'll need help. Like how Trent Dilfer needed help and Peyton Manning needed help in his last super bowl. Without help through a strong defense and supporting offensive players Dak isn't good enough to carry them team to the super bowl.

Kwyn

Reaction score
I do. I've taught for 25 years in a rural district. I've had opportunities to go to larger districts for more money, but my family and I are happy where we are.

I guess it all comes down to what makes you happy. If money makes you happy, then I guess you hold out for all you can get. If you enjoy your co-workers, community, and your job then I say it's not a big deal to take less than market value.
I do. I've taught for 25 years in a rural district. I've had opportunities to go to larger districts for more money, but my family and I are happy where we are.

I guess it all comes down to what makes you happy. If money makes you happy, then I guess you hold out for all you can get. If you enjoy your co-workers, community, and your job then I say it's not a big deal to take less than market value.
you’ve created a false dilemma

your choice wasn’t between take more money so that it could be spent on other teachers salaries

your choice was between take more money or remain in the place/home/job where you are most comfortable but work for less

it’s not even remotely the same

People make career choices all the time based on a very long list of variables.

You didn’t make your choice out of some altruistic notion of giving back to youth employee. You made your choice because it fit your own personal needs.

Kwyn

Reaction score
So winning doesn;t mean a team fitting the best players possible under the budget????? Okay, so then let Dak take all he can get and Dallas doesn't re-sogn Amari Cooper and eventually has to cut some of the o-linemen and see how good Dak is with all that money.
Another fake dichotomy. Dak taking less doesn’t mean Amari gets paid more. It’s quite likely that money goes to any number of other players.

Ir you take less at your job, the boss doesn’t necessarily go and spend it on the guy making less than you the next cube over, thereby ensuring that guy doesn’t leave for another job and instead stays and helps you get out early on Friday

it could go to Curtis on the shipping dock whose happiness or job satisfaction has little or no impact on you whatsoever

plymkr

Reaction score
The answer is “none of us”

The arguments stating that once you’re rich it doesn’t matter are idiotic

what if I would prefer to donate the money to a charity of my choice?

what if I’m trying to build a business outside of football?

what if I’m trying to ensure generational wealth not just for my wife and children but for my entire family?

It’s easy to spend other people’s money or criticize how they spend it But it’s theirs to do with as they please.

if you don’t like it and want to advocate for redistributing wealththere are a number of nations around the world who would be happy to have you join their workers paradise.
But if he takes less then the team will be more successful and he'll be more relevant. If he takes more than can cause the team to be less talented. So if the team is below average he may appear to be below average and endorsements may dry up.

So the question in my mind is would I sacrifice 3 or 4 million in salary if I could make 6-8 in endorsements with a successful team. If I could make 10 million in endorsements and and 33 million in salary with a winning team then that would be 43 million. If I took 40 million a year, handcuffed the team and was on a losing or average team and made no endorsement money then he's losing 3 million a year.

I would take less in salary if I had that money made up in endorsements. There's no salary cap with endorsements and that's where he can clean up. I wouldn't handicap the team for a couple million when I can double that with income from another source. But I would secure that endorsement money prior to signing the contract with the Cowboys. So what I'm saying is if I knew I was getting paid the same amount I wanted, 40 million, I wouldn't care if 30 of it was from Jerry and 10 was from Nike, as long as I got my 40 I don't care. I would make sure that I had the contract signed for that 10 million from Nike prior to signing for less with Jerry.