How Many Older Offensive Playcallers Are Having Success in Today’s NFL?

817Gill

Reaction score
Looking at the better offenses the last two years or so, none of them are lead by a playcaller over 55, other than the forever young and innovative Andy Reid. They are all lead by younger minded playcallers much more in touch with todays league.

The Shanahan/McVay tree has done wonders, as well as the Andy Reid tree.

We need our next playcaller, regardless of QB, to be a guy from one of these trees. We desperately need a modern offense to compete regardless of personnel on that side of the ball.

Let’s hope the Joneses find someone from this tree next offseason. Unless this team makes a stark turn, I don’t see the offense being consistent enough to win big. It’s 2023-24 ball, defense can only get you so far.

Mike is likely gone without a shift in scoring and output on O. Dak may be a casualty as well, but it doesn’t matter who we bring in after as long as the coaching is archaic we won’t ever win.

Even Mahomes needs Reid, he wouldn’t be the player he is if he was under a lesser playcaller and schemer.

Last edited:

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
To the point, I have never been less optimistic about the Cowboys this season than right now, because they think the way that the Chargers game went is a legitimate way to contend. It was their first "normal" game, and the conservative nature will be the death of them.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Looking at the better offenses the last two years or so, none of them are lead by a playcaller over 55, other than the forever young and innovative Andy Reid. They are all lead by younger minded playcallers much more in touch with todays league.

We need our next playcaller, regardless of QB, to be a guy from one of these trees. We desperately need a modern offense to compete regardless of personnel on that side of the ball.

Let’s hope the Joneses find someone from this tree next offseason. Unless this team makes a stark turn, I don’t see the offense being consistent enough to win big. It’s 2023-24 ball, defense can only get you so far.

Mike is likely gone without a shift in scoring and output on O. Dak may be a casualty as well, but it doesn’t matter who we bring in after as long as the coaching is archaic we won’t ever win.

Even Mahomes needs Reid, he wouldn’t be the player he is if he was under a lesser playcaller and schemer.
Couldn't agree more, we have had dinosaur schemes here for last 20 years, time for a modern system.

starfan1

Reaction score
i thought i heard in lincoln rileys presser after the USC loss that he said some things regarding NFL that he hadnt previously meaning he may have cracked the door open just a hair where it was previously shut

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
To the point, I have never been less optimistic about the Cowboys this season than right now, because they think the way that the Chargers game went is a legitimate way to contend. It was their first "normal" game, and the conservative nature will be the death of them.
Conservative nature of play calling is better suited for Playoff games as KM went for riskier options ending up big mistakes . but for the whole season conservative play calling meaning you should have a 85 Bears defense or Ravens def which took them to SB ( Trent Dilfer , yikes ), which we don’t have . Don’t mistake me the Def is good but not that good

Rayman70

Reaction score
MM. We ARE 4-2. If we execute what he's calling right, we win. If we don't, we lose.

75boyz

Reaction score

Great post.
Totally agree.

817Gill

Reaction score
The premise is correct but Andy Reid is 6 years older than Mike McCarthy lol
That’s why I mentioned him, he’s a unicorn. He’s exceptionally open to new ideas and innovation. His style of ball was also ahead of its time (pass heavy offense first), so the league has been catching up to him.

There are always elite exceptions, like Reid. McCarthy isn’t in his league.