How Many Older Offensive Playcallers Are Having Success in Today’s NFL?

Rayman70

Reaction score
It was a lot more miss than hit. Most of our success came off Dak improvising. That's not a formula we can expect to carry forward.
Mahomes, Allen, improvise. Thats the nature of the QB today. Why is it ok for them but not for Dak?

CWR

Reaction score
Mahomes, Allen, improvise. Thats the nature of the QB today. Why is it ok for them but not for Dak?

I'd encourage it, but it's a problem when improvising is the majority of your positive plays. I'd like to see guys actually schemed open. I dont think that's too much to ask from a coordinator/play caller. Dak bailed MM out Sunday, plain and simple.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I'd encourage it, but it's a problem when improvising is the majority of your positive plays. I'd like to see guys actually schemed open. I dont think that's too much to ask from a coordinator/play caller. Dak bailed MM out Sunday, plain and simple.
I see what u mean. id prefer timing routes. Like Troy during the game said, on schedule type throws planting the back foot on a 3 step drop and releasing it on time. I get it. But until this line can routinely block better, Dak might need 2 play in the way he has been. But your argument is valid. It might take time. I fear Dak will take a big hit if he has to make stuff happen 2 much. Alot can go wrong. So yeah, I'd prefer him in the pocket.

plasticman

Reaction score
Play callers are not independent of their Head Coaches. They call plays within a philosophy dictated by those Head Coaches in the majority of cases. The fact that McCarthy feels he has to call the plays shouldn't be totally attributed to the way Kellen Moore called them. This is probably not why Moore is no longer with the team. If the play caller is the OC then it is but one of many significant responsibilities within the scope of that job.

When I say that the play caller is following the instructions of the Head Coach then an asterisk might be required when referring to the Dallas Cowboys. I don't trust Jerry Jones and I think every Head Coach since Jimmy Johnson has been handicapped by his "assistance".

Kwyn

Reaction score
i thought i heard in lincoln rileys presser after the USC loss that he said some things regarding NFL that he hadnt previously meaning he may have cracked the door open just a hair where it was previously shut
Because he’s been so impressive. Have to so, Riley looks like fools gold.

CWR

Reaction score
I see what u mean. id prefer timing routes. Like Troy during the game said, on schedule type throws planting the back foot on a 3 step drop and releasing it on time. I get it. But until this line can routinely block better, Dak might need 2 play in the way he has been. But your argument is valid. It might take time. I fear Dak will take a big hit if he has to make stuff happen 2 much. Alot can go wrong. So yeah, I'd prefer him in the pocket.

Honestly besides the redzone I felt pretty good about the offense the first few games. Hopefully they come together after the bye. We do need to rediscover the run game. I blamed Zeke for wearing down, but it feels about the same with TP. I long for the 2014/16 ground attack.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Honestly besides the redzone I felt pretty good about the offense the first few games. Hopefully they come together after the bye. We do need to rediscover the run game. I blamed Zeke for wearing down, but it feels about the same with TP. I long for the 2014/16 ground attack.
Its the line. I agree, if we can button that up during the bye, I think we can have success running. Then if we can run well, that helps Dak .

Reactions: CWR

Rayman70

Reaction score
Play callers are not independent of their Head Coaches. They call plays within a philosophy dictated by those Head Coaches in the majority of cases. The fact that McCarthy feels he has to call the plays shouldn't be totally attributed to the way Kellen Moore called them. This is probably not why Moore is no longer with the team. If the play caller is the OC then it is but one of many significant responsibilities within the scope of that job.

When I say that the play caller is following the instructions of the Head Coach then an asterisk might be required when referring to the Dallas Cowboys. I don't trust Jerry Jones and I think every Head Coach since Jimmy Johnson has been handicapped by his "assistance".
I agree. Jerry is a stumbling block. I hope we can overcome him when it matters. I will say this, in like 2 years, dont be surprised if Jerry hires Kliff Kingsbury as HC. He likes him. I know Im looking down the road.

plasticman

Reaction score
....Obviously older OC's have more success than the younger OC's. That's why they have been able to stay in the league longer.

Every season new coaches come into the league and every season slightly used coaches leave the league. It's the good ones that get to stick around and be old coaches.

StarLord

Reaction score
Motion and whatever else is not going to help Dak see the wide open receivers or throw the ball when a sack is coming or help the OL create a time machine and go back to 2016.

817Gill

Reaction score
....Obviously older OC's have more success than the younger OC's. That's why they have been able to stay in the league longer.

Every season new coaches come into the league and every season slightly used coaches leave the league. It's the good ones that get to stick around and be old coaches.
Not really how it goes. Once your age directly impacts your touch you’re no longer effective.

The simple fact is, outside of Andy Reid all the best playcallers are younger because they are in touch with todays game.

The older OC’s have had success, but they no longer currently are performing that way. Some jobs favor innovation and some favor tradition, you’re seeing the real time change from traditional to innovative.

This doesn’t lend itself to 60+ old playcallers who’ve been doing things one way for years. The league is showing you that young/new schematic playcallers are the only ones having consistent success.

We have to deal in fact here, no older offensive playcaller outside of Reid have been in the top 10 of offenses recently. Industries change brotha, offensive playcalling is an innovative one; unfortunately innovation favors new ideas not traditional ones.

817Gill

Reaction score
Motion and whatever else is not going to help Dak see the wide open receivers or throw the ball when a sack is coming or help the OL create a time machine and go back to 2016.
Take your Dak glasses off for a sec. Regardless of who’s the QB, you need a modern offense to win. Simple as that.

Name me the QB who’s had success without one of these new scheme coaches. Look at the last 5 Super Bowl winners. None of them have archaic OC’s. Mahomes wouldn’t win big wirh Mike neither would Brady. Rodgers couldn’t after 2010.

Elite QB play means nothing without almost elite coaching and vice versa. You need modern schemes to win even with the best QB’s.

Dak has absolutely nothing to do with that fact.

StarLord

Reaction score
Take your Dak glasses off for a sec. Regardless of who’s the QB, you need a modern offense to win. Simple as that.

Name me the QB who’s had success without one of these new scheme coaches. Look at the last 5 Super Bowl winners. None of them have archaic OC’s. Mahomes wouldn’t win big wirh Mike neither would Brady. Rodgers couldn’t after 2010.

Elite QB play means nothing without almost elite coaching and vice versa. You need modern schemes to win even with the best QB’s.

Dak has absolutely nothing to do with that fact.
Oh I want tons more motion, MMs offense is dated and static, my point had nothing to do with MMs problems with play calling.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Looking at the better offenses the last two years or so, none of them are lead by a playcaller over 55, other than the forever young and innovative Andy Reid. They are all lead by younger minded playcallers much more in touch with todays league.
Currently, the bottom ten offenses(ranked by total yards as is typical of the NFL) all have offensive coordinators under the age of 54. Their average age is 43.8 with three guys in their 30s and four in their 40s. The average age of the offensive coordinators of the current top ten offenses is 41.3.

plasticman

Reaction score
Not really how it goes. Once your age directly impacts your touch you’re no longer effective.

The simple fact is, outside of Andy Reid all the best playcallers are younger because they are in touch with todays game.

The older OC’s have had success, but they no longer currently are performing that way. Some jobs favor innovation and some favor tradition, you’re seeing the real time change from traditional to innovative.

This doesn’t lend itself to 60+ old playcallers who’ve been doing things one way for years. The league is showing you that young/new schematic playcallers are the only ones having consistent success.

We have to deal in fact here, no older offensive playcaller outside of Reid have been in the top 10 of offenses recently. Industries change brotha, offensive playcalling is an innovative one; unfortunately innovation favors new ideas not traditional ones.

Everything was innovative before it became traditional.

And by the way, you are defining "old" as 60+? How many 60 year old OC's are in the league? By old, I thought you meant past their 40's. Is there more than one OC over the age of 60?

Also, how can you make such a claim about this group of OC's when 25 of the 32 were hired before the 2022 or 2023 season. Only two of them were hired before he 2020 season. The vast majority haven't done anything yet.

I could be wrong. Maybe my age has impacted my touch, whatever that means.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
They had a young guy. Instead of helping him tweak some details to make the offense better they decide to get rid of him and score less points.