How many players away from a legit championship level D?

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Let's assume, Dan Quinn doesn't leave for another HC position. What is still needed to transform this defense into championship level?

Although the scheme has changed, let's go look back at the legion of boom personnel in Seattle where Quinn was their DC:

DE-Avril, Bennett (Gregory, DLaw if both are back are comparable, think DLaw can kick inside as well)
DT-McDaniel, Mebane (more space eater run players then pass rushers, Osa fits, need for another one)

LB-Wagner, Wright, Smith (1 superstar, 1 good linebacker who can play all the spots, need that 2nd LB)

CB-Sherman, Maxwell (We have Diggs who is a ballhawk like Sherman, jury is out if we have our other starting corner on the roster, keep in mind we are more of a man press scheme now)

S-Earl Thomas, Chancellor (I believe Kearse is a similar player to Cam, can do it all inside the box, yes, we need a legit FS and doesn't have to be as good as Earl.

Based this comparison, summary of what I believe is needed to make this D into championship level:

-Need to resign both Gregory and Kearse. Figure out how to also retain DLaw.
-Find another quality space eater for the interior of the DL
-Draft a quality LB who can play next to Parsons, but also has the ability to multiple LB positions
-Need another star DB and a quality role player, doesn't matter which position

2 key pieces at LB/DB and a few good role players
I don’t think it actually has anything to do with the players. As individual positions. It’s just the quality of the team. Even though I would like to upgrade the defensive tackle position

JBS

Reaction score
Question.. Who is this team that has a championship level D you speak of?

Dallas can defend as good as anyone in this league RIGHT NOW.

All of your takes aren’t good but this one is. You have a clear understanding that this defense that the manority of the people on this board desire doesn’t exist in todays game. I’m not ready to say that this defense is good enough just yet, but let me see a few games with tank, parsons, and Gregory getting after the qb. They very well might be.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Jamal Adams wishes he was a 6’4 ballhawk

Im so glad Dallas avoided that mistake. They tried to get Adams and what a huge setback for our team that would’ve been.

Im not sure what draft it was but I think Adams would’ve cost us Lamb.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let's assume, Dan Quinn doesn't leave for another HC position. What is still needed to transform this defense into championship level?

Although the scheme has changed, let's go look back at the legion of boom personnel in Seattle where Quinn was their DC:

DE-Avril, Bennett (Gregory, DLaw if both are back are comparable, think DLaw can kick inside as well)
DT-McDaniel, Mebane (more space eater run players then pass rushers, Osa fits, need for another one)

LB-Wagner, Wright, Smith (1 superstar, 1 good linebacker who can play all the spots, need that 2nd LB)

CB-Sherman, Maxwell (We have Diggs who is a ballhawk like Sherman, jury is out if we have our other starting corner on the roster, keep in mind we are more of a man press scheme now)

S-Earl Thomas, Chancellor (I believe Kearse is a similar player to Cam, can do it all inside the box, yes, we need a legit FS and doesn't have to be as good as Earl.

Based this comparison, summary of what I believe is needed to make this D into championship level:

-Draft a quality LB who can play next to Parsons, but also has the ability to multiple LB positions

I would say 4. An accomplished defensive tackle, a linebacker to pair with Parsons, a pass rusher alongside Gregory (yes), and a quality safety.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
All of your takes aren’t good but this one is. You have a clear understanding that this defense that the manority of the people on this board desire doesn’t exist in todays game. I’m not ready to say that this defense is good enough just yet, but let me see a few games with tank, parsons, and Gregory getting after the qb. They very well might be.

I think the problem with my takes are my thinking is usually so far advanced that it takes awhile for other to catch up.

For example me saying Pollard could be a top 10 back in the NFL if he received more volume before the season even started probably seemed like a bad take then but slowly a lot of you are at least seeing it.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I still believe we need to upgrade a few spots, now they don't have to be stars, but better role players. Think Quinn has done a tremendous job with bringing in a more modern scheme and winning with a mash unit up front.

What you are really asking is what it takes to have a dominant defense.

That is different than championship defense.

Some seasons there are not any truly dominant defenses.

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/review-of-super-bowl-champion-defensive-rankings.489191/

JBS

Reaction score
I think the problem with my takes are my thinking is usually so far advanced that it takes awhile for other to catch up.

For example me saying Pollard could be a top 10 back in the NFL if he received more volume before the season even started probably seemed like a bad take then but slowly a lot of you are at least seeing it.

You call Dak a system qb. Pollard is a system Rb. He also isn’t good enough in pass protection to carry the load every down. Secondly, your takes that you claim are so far advanced, specifically your take on Dak, has never materialized. Not to mention you flip flop on him left and right. But that’s a separate topic. Let’s see what this defense can do when healthy.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

If the question is "What they need for a dominant defense", then:

Retain Dan Quinn.

• Add 1 more Super Star player at any position:
    • Add DT Chris Jones to this defense and it would be dominant.
    • Add prime years Earl Thomas to this defense and it would be dominant.
    • Add prime years DWare or Von Miller to this defense and it would be dominant.
  • Assuming that getting a Super Star in 2022 is unlikely, then:
    • Add Borderline Pro Bowl FS. Could be a draft pick or FA.
      • Can Wilson become that player?
      • Is Anthony Brown an option at FS (10x better tackler than Kazee, Fast).
    • Add Borderline Pro Bowl DT. Could be a draft pick or FA.
      • It is possible that Hill and Odighi become Pro Bowl type players.
    • Retain Gregory.
    • Retain Kearse.
    • Retain or replace Vander Esch (He is playing better than fans believe).
      • Maybe that is Jabril C. but they need another near-starter caliber player for depth.
Note:
- They don't need more CBs for 2022.
- There is good probability that Joseph is an upgrade over Brown.
- All 3 starters are under contract for 2022 (Diggs, Brown, Lewis).
- Nahshon Wright appears to at least be a good depth player.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
You call Dak a system qb. Pollard is a system Rb. He also isn’t good enough in pass protection to carry the load every down. Secondly, your takes that you claim are so far advanced, specifically your take on Dak, has never materialized. Not to mention you flip flop on him left and right. But that’s a separate topic. Let’s see what this defense can do when healthy.

Pollard has physical gifts if you haven’t noticed. Calling him a system player is silly.

I don’t care about his pass pro either. You guys make too much of that. Like having a runner that isn’t effective is worth not playing a guy who can take it to the house.

Zeke can still have that role as well or Dallas can go sign some fullback or RB off are street who specializes in it and not pay 15 million a year lol.

What do you mean my take on Dak never materialized? He’s exactly what I have said he is lol.

He’s a good solid system Quarterback is all and not worth 40 million a year. He can be elite when everyone around him is carrying him. He’s not a carry the team type of player. How is that not obvious after 5 years now of him needing so much help in order to be decent?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We need another LB. I’m not sure whether I’d prefer a thumper or an athletic sideline to sideline LB to go with Parsons. Cox might be the sideline to sideline type that’s good in coverage. I hate that he got injured. We also need a big run stuffing DT. I hope Bohanna can be that. He’s only a rookie and hopefully will develop into a force. Time will tell.
They won't play a thumper type that is not at least average in coverage.

Quinn prefers LBs with above average range.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let’s see how much the defensive tackles improve with both Gallimore, Hill back as well. Think poor linebacker play is the cause for our poor run defense at times

Vander Esch has been playing better each week but Neal has struggled in run defense.

Kazee and Malik Hooker have had far too many whiffs on tackling attempts.

Quinn's front 7 defensive scheme with frequent stunts will get gashed on occasion if the offense runs the right play at the right time.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

Also, the defense has been pretty good all year and after the Vikings game and hold the Chiefs under 20 at their house I can’t believe the defense still gets questioned.

Our defense has been a strength all season and it would look even better if our offense would start converting 3rd downs and scoring more points.

It’s like our offense can hang our defense out to dry and when they do you guys want to blame the defense even when part of their problem is our offense keeping them on the field.

Jarntt

Reaction score
We need a DT that can take up blocks and stop the run. Our DL just doesn't clog the middle like a lot of other teams do. We also need at least one and probably 2 LBs (Cox will hopefully be one of those). Lastly we still need another CB (maybe that will be Joseph) . Brown made some good plays last week, but still got beat for a long TD and on way too many plays was way too deep. I don't excuse him for getting caught in the traffic on the TD as he saw at the snap how many other guys were around and played it like he was totally unaware and was too far to the outside and made it easy for his guy to cut in and lose him. The short passes were open in front of him all game. It's just always one step forward, two steps back with this guy.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
They won't play a thumper type that is not at least average in coverage.

Quinn prefers LBs with above average range.
Oh I know. By thumper, I’m talking about one in the Rolondo McClain mode. A big physical LB that can really move. But as I said, those guys are pretty rare.

kskboys

Reaction score
I would say 4. An accomplished defensive tackle, a linebacker to pair with Parsons, a pass rusher alongside Gregory (yes), and a quality safety.
Only thing I would add is two quality DT backups. Must have quality play at DT when your starters are resting.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Not far to be honest. This is assuming that Cox can be the guy to play alongside Parsons at LB.

We need a REAL corner to replace Brown and then either a DT or stud FS.