How many players do you think use GH in the NFL?

JonCJG

Reaction score
percentage wise do you think use GH in the NFL? I would think with all the money involved and pressure to play it must be pretty high.

I would think to 25-35 percent. Do you think that's a little high?

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
It would be hard to say. The NFL has had steroid testing much longer than that other so called sport we hear so much about now (not long enough to have caught the '70's Stealers but that is another subject). And the fact that the testing has been around might have gotten the players away from that mindset a bit more than some sports that are just now implementing the testing. Still with GH being almost undetectable I would be very surprised if it were not somewhat prevalent in the NFL. I would guess that your estimate is about right 30% +/-

My guess is that it is most wide spread in two groups of players; those on the bottom of the roster looking for any edge they can get and those overly egotistical superstars who are desperate to make the HoF. Look for star players whose physical conditioning far exceeds the norm for their position. My guess is that you will find many of your users in that group (that WR who was drafted high by 'Zona and has bounced around the league and is muscled like a bodybuilder would be a good guess). But really these are ONLY guesses.

2much2soon

Reaction score
Look for star players whose physical conditioning far exceeds the norm for their position.

David Boston is the one you are referring to explicitly.
I don't know about others that meet your criteria.
How about the statuesqe WR who often wears tights? He's pretty cut for a WR...
I have never suspected him but he is a bit over the top, physically speaking, for a WR.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
2much2soon said:
David Boston is the one you are referring to explicitly.
I don't know about others that meet your criteria.
How about the statuesqe WR who often wears tights? He's pretty cut for a WR...
I have never suspected him but he is a bit over the top, physically speaking, for a WR.
My goodness...I never would have suggested that. :p:

(But an image of his ripped biceps did flash across my minds eye when I was typing that.)

MONT17

Reaction score
who cares its football!!!

the other spots are trying to preserve records/stats froma an era that GAMBLERS owned... I wish them luck with all that!!! All people would say in the late 90s was that the other sports were so great... thanks to the success of the NFL, the NBA had like 5 new Jordans and the MLB had the "Juiced" Ball... now people wanna cry foul!!!

leave that in those other spots!!!

if football players do HGH and it makes the NFL BETTER I am ALL FOR IT!!!

VirusX

Reaction score
KD said:
percentage wise do you think use GH in the NFL? I would think with all the money involved and pressure to play it must be pretty high.

I would think to 25-35 percent. Do you think that's a little high?

Well thats kind of a trick question. Everyone uses GH, but not everyone suppliments HGH.

2much2soon

Reaction score
JackMagist said:
My goodness...I never would have suggested that. :p:

(But an image of his ripped biceps did flash across my minds eye when I was typing that.)

Yeah, me neither. But in the context of your original post he does fit, doesn't he?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I think the number is rediculously high. I think that every team has a very healthy number of players who do it. I think the drug testing is for the public only. I think that if you want to mask, it's pretty easy to do. The testing curve is always going to be significantly behind the development curve. The companies who develop state of the art suppliments have teams of scientist working on new products designed to circumvent testing. I'd almost guarnatee that the NFL does not spend the kind of money it takes to keep top talent on staff (scientists) specifically for the purpose of testing and finding these latest and greatest designer drugs. It's a song and dance designed to appease the public IMO. The money it would cost to really stay ahead of the curve is considerable. Testing is not revenue producing. It only detracts from the product. It doesn't return investment. I don't see the business side of the NFL doing all it would take to prevent suppliments being actively used in the NFL.

That is my opinion on the subject.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
I would say 80%. Plus various steroids used that either can't be detected or have a masking agent. Lets not kid ourselves.

StoneyBurk

Reaction score
Larry Allen used something , a human cannot bench 700 lbs without drugs. If you don't believe me ask any power lifter

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
I get concerned when I hear Mickey Spagnola talking about various players "looking like a different person" after an offseason.

I'd like to think that each and every of these guys made a drug-free transformation, but that may be naive ....

Larry Allen used something , a human cannot bench 700 lbs without drugs.
:) Actually, Larry Allen couldn't truly bench what he's reported to have benched.

He doesn't use regulation form [e.g., holding the bar to his chest and then pushing up (rather than bouncing the bar), keeping back flat, etc.). He's a remarkably strong human, but his numbers are exaggerated because of the various cheats he employs.

(Not that I would say this to his face).

Eddie

Reaction score
MONT17 said:
if football players do HGH and it makes the NFL BETTER I am ALL FOR IT!!!

ha ha. I totally agree.

I think 100% of the NFL uses hGH. I'm not talking about the peptide stuff from GNC either. I also think almost all use some sort of anabolic substance ... whether they even know what it is or not.

BAZ

Drunken Mick
Reaction score
Eddie said:
ha ha. I totally agree.

I think 100% of the NFL uses hGH. I'm not talking about the peptide stuff from GNC either. I also think almost all use some sort of anabolic substance ... whether they even know what it is or not.

Including kicker's, punter's and QB's?

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
BAZ said:
Including kicker's, punter's and QB's?

Them too. Remember in the MLB, how they said pitchers were at a disadvantage. Well, looks like they were using them too. I wouldn't hesitate to say that I think Roger Clemens does them too.

BAZ

Drunken Mick
Reaction score
dmq said:
Them too. Remember in the MLB, how they said pitchers were at a disadvantage. Well, looks like they were using them too. I wouldn't hesitate to say that I think Roger Clemens does them too.

I find it hard to believe 100% is on them and a bigger deal isn't being made out of it. If it was that high then a lot more people would be dieing and a lot more press would be given to it.

Awesome sig by the way.

Eddie

Reaction score
BAZ said:
I find it hard to believe 100% is on them and a bigger deal isn't being made out of it. If it was that high then a lot more people would be dieing and a lot more press would be given to it.

Not sure why you would think more people would be dying.

hGH and anabolic steroids are pharmaceutical medicines. They have uses in medicine. It's like asking why more people aren't dying of antibiotics.

Anabolic compounds have their side effects, but it's the media which paints a massively misguided picture about the evils of steroids. They find the single guy who grossly misused steroids ... and say, "See, look at this guy. Steroids did this to him!!!".

hGH and other anabolics are administered by physicians and under a physician's care. Do you really think NFL teams would allow players to buy juice from backroom gyms and inject themselves??? This is all taken care of by the organization.

I bet most NFL players don't even know what's being injected into them. They go for a rub down, physician checks his log, then pops the syringe into the player's butt. 2 seconds later. All done. Next.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Eddie said:

hGH and anabolic steroids are pharmaceutical medicines. They have uses in medicine. It's like asking why more people aren't dying of antibiotics.

Anabolic compounds have their side effects, but it's the media which paints a massively misguided picture about the evils of steroids. They find the single guy who grossly misused steroids ... and say, "See, look at this guy. Steroids did this to him!!!".

hGH and other anabolics are administered by physicians and under a physician's care. Do you really think NFL teams would allow players to buy juice from backroom gyms and inject themselves??? This is all taken care of by the organization.

I bet most NFL players don't even know what's being injected into them. They go for a rub down, physician checks his log, then pops the syringe into the player's butt. 2 seconds later. All done. Next.

I think they would be stupid to do business in this manner. All liability would fall on the owners and the NFL if this were the case. No way, no chance, under no circumstances would this be the way it is done IMO. If this were true, the NFL would now be called the Lyle Alzado League. Just don't see it.

I would also question your views on the risks of taking such drugs. To often, the side effects are diagnosed as other things. Heart conditions or complications etc. Guys drop dead in the NFL. They also die young. You push your body in ways it was never designed to work and you will burn it out. That's just how it works.

BAZ

Drunken Mick
Reaction score
Eddie said:

But use can lead to abuse and players injecting themselves. If they can see an improvement why not try for more and gain an advantage? If they are being used so freely and the players can get away with it why not inject more and secure thier place on the team?

DWelch1775

Couch Warmer
Reaction score
I'm so tired of hearing about roids. I think anyone caught with them should be suspened the rest of the year, for the first offense, and terminated for the second.