How many point will our defense give up this season?

conner01

Reaction score
If you give up 4 points less
And with a healthy oline score 5 points more you have a huge improvement in your record
If you score 5 points more you will likely have a bit more TOP which helps the defense
If you are scoring TD instead of FG that puts more pressure on the other team to score which can cut down on run plays. That along with better defense of run plays help force a team to abandon the run which helps the pass rush and keeps the safeties back

Doomsday101

Reaction score
That would be pretty nice.

I think Quinn is the difference maker here, prior to last season defense may have given up some yardage but they kept the point totals down, much of it bend but don't break. Last season was a disaster and Nolan did little to adjust what he was doing. We will see

DFWJC

Reaction score
I think Quinn is the difference maker here, prior to last season defense may have given up some yardage but they kept the point totals down, much of it bend but don't break. Last season was a disaster and Nolan did little to adjust what he was doing. We will see
If they hold teams to 20, on average, you might have an 11-6 or even 12-5 season. :omg:

Right now I'm seeing 10-7...which is still decent

The offense will have to break that 2-3 year trend and learn how to score on good defenses too. They've been below league average for a while now vs defense ranked in the upper half.
But I think they will.
:flagwave:

Last edited:

Dre11

Reaction score
Last year it would've been 19th (we were 28th)

I guess if league-wide scoring goes back to 2019 levels, I’ll say 24.1 (or 5 pts lower)

which is why numbers can be decieving sometimes, if cowboys give up just 1 less td a game on average, they're top ten in scoring all the way from 28.

Dre11

Reaction score
If they hold teams to 20, on average, you might have an 11-6 or even 12-5 season. :omg:

Right now I'm seeing 10-7...which is still decent

The offense will have to break that 2-3 year trend and learn how to score on good defenses too. They've been below league average for a while now vs defense ranked in the upper half.
But I think they will.
:flagwave:

think that was they're average on 2019

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
How much improvement do you expect by the defense this year? How many points do you expect them to give up this year in total? How many less points will be scored against us this year?

The Dallas Cowboys gave up 473 points for a 29.6 points per game. That’s a lot of points.

I’m expecting them to improve by at least 5 points per game this year at a minimum. I really expect it to average 7 points per game less.
average of 24 points per game....

plasticman

Reaction score
Well, if the Cowboys were average, the 16th ranked defense last season in points against was the Bills at 375. Expanding that number to reflect a 17 game season would make it 398 or 23.5 points a game.

I'm going to go a little lower and say 382 which would be equivalent to the 10th place defense this season if they had played 17 games..

ESisback

Reaction score
How much improvement do you expect by the defense this year? How many points do you expect them to give up this year in total? How many less points will be scored against us this year?

The Dallas Cowboys gave up 473 points for a 29.6 points per game. That’s a lot of points.

I’m expecting them to improve by at least 5 points per game this year at a minimum. I really expect it to average 7 points per game less.

397 points

ESisback

Reaction score
I think they give up 5 PPG less easily. The change in scheme will do that.
We will still need to see how all the changes gel though.

I think overall they will be between 22 to 25 PPG. They may be 25 to 28 for the 1st 3 or 4 weeks, then it should drop to average that 22 to 25.
But could be playing the last 3 to 5 weeks giving up 20 to 22 if all goes well.

However as @Verdict mentioned, with Dak on the field again, and better sustained drives, less turnovers, that should be worth 3 PPG less. So we could see a difference of 8 PPG less by mid season.

I agree, although older players like Tyron Smith could be banged up down the stretch, handicapping the offense. There are all kinds of variables that could come into play.

TwentyOne

Reaction score

450+

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I came up with 408 before reading any answers. 24 points a game.

That's probably optimistic but when you add Chauncey Golston you get hopeful.