How many Red Kettle fines do we get?

GMO415

Reaction score
Found this on the turkey leg celebration https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...ak-prescott-cowboys-celebrate-tds/ar-AA1krqu0:

In Thursday's 45-10 win against the Washington Commanders, the Cowboys paid homage to Thanksgiving.

Hours before kickoff, stadium staffers placed four turkey legs in each of the four kettles in the end zones to be used just in case.

After KaVontae Turpin's 34-yard touchdown catch from Prescott upped the Cowboys lead to 38-10 with 5:59 remaining, Prescott pulled out a turkey leg in celebration and took a giant bite.

"We talked about it as probably a 2-3 daylong process of whether it be a 15-yard penalty and whether [coach Mike McCarthy] would accept it," Prescott said. "I actually go talk to coach before every game and sure enough I caught him as he was talking to [owner and general manager Jerry Jones], and so I mentioned it. Of course, Jerry liked it so, yeah, at that point my direction was just make sure we're up and the game was in hand."

McCarthy is no stranger to celebrations. He was the New Orleans Saints offensive coordinator when Joe Horn pulled out a cellphone to celebrate a touchdown in 2003.

"I just told them that game better be well out of hand before we start pulling turkey nuggets out of a kettle can," McCarthy said. "That was a little different pregame for me."

Prescott initially considered the celebration on a 15-yard touchdown pass to CeeDee Lamb and subsequent 2-point pass to Lamb that made it 31-10 with 10:32 remaining.

"If you watch I'm kind of like, 'Is it time? Can we do it?'" Prescott said. "I'm like, 'No, we'll get another one.' Sure enough, right after I threw the one to Turp I was like, 'Yeah, let's go for it.' And so, it was good."

Instead, he and Lamb settled for an old-fashioned alley-oop into the kettle.

The Cowboys were not penalized, but a fine is always possible. Jones was pleased with the win and the attention the celebration will bring to the Salvation Army.

"This maybe one of the top, maybe right there at the top days I've ever had with the Cowboys," Jones said. "It has everything to do with the fact that the Salvation Army is such a benefactor, but it also has a lot to do with a guy named [DaRon] Bland, break an NFL record like that with all that and so I just don't know that I've had a day like this. And I'll include them all. I'll put some Super Bowls in there. I don't know if I've ever had a better day with the Cowboys than today."
I love it

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There should be no fines, but there will be.

On Bland's pick 6 record, there should not be any fines. That was an NFL record, and it promotes a good cause for the Salvation Army and the NFL.
It would be a black eye on the NFL to do so.

On the turkey leg thing, it will get a fine, because they will say it was a preplanned celebration and using the turkey legs as a prop.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Turp went into the kettle at the direction of Dak.. I hope Dak picks up his fine, Dak makes about 40 times more than Turp I am sure. Jerry should pick up any fines on the D side of the ball for Bland going in.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

On Bland's pick 6 record, there should not be any fines. That was an NFL record, and it promotes a good cause for the Salvation Army and the NFL.

On the turkey leg thing, it will get a fine, because they will say it was a preplanned celebration and using the turkey legs as a prop.
Although I think the kettle fines are stupid, and instead the league should set it up that players who use it for celebrations have to "donate" a specific amount to the Salvation Army, I agree with you on the Bland record. The league should look at the significance of what happened and not levy a fine. If the NFL just has to fine someone for it, it should be a team fine paid by the Joneses. They certainly shouldn't fine Bland, since he was put in the kettle by teammates.

If they want to fine the turkey leg thing or the alley oop to Lamb, that's more understandable.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Turp went into the kettle at the direction of Dak.. I hope Dak picks up his fine, Dak makes about 40 times more than Turp I am sure. Jerry should pick up any fines on the D side of the ball for Bland going in.
I think there already was an agreement in place that the wealthier players on the team would pay the fines.

conner01

Reaction score

They should have left a wing or something for Bland. He got an empty kettle lol

rags747

Reaction score
I’m thinking no fines as the pub for the league was through the roof Plus it’s just additional advertising for the Salvation Army. If I’m wrong then the league is more ***** than I thought!

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The fines go toward programs for former players. Some of them may need the Salvation Army, but I don't think it gets the fine money. It should, though.
Sorry, I was thinking of when Zeke matched the fine, with an equal donation to the Salvation Army.

Mannix

Reaction score
I agree, but my point is that the Packers aren't getting preferential treatment. I'm not saying you said they are, but some people think they are, and your post would probably strengthen that point of view.
Sorry, but yes they do.....they went 9 1/2 straight games in 2016 without getting ONE holding call against their OL.....they are protected and promoted on every front.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Sorry, but yes they do.....they went 9 1/2 straight games in 2016 without getting ONE holding call against their OL.....they are protected and promoted on every front.
We were talking about treatment regarding the Lambeau Leap not being penalized.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
What do you expect from the no fun league. Players need to shut up and get ready to play in New Delhi or Beijing. Some more Black Friday games too.