How many starting players could we draft?

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
I say it would be possible to come out of this draft with 6 starters. That would be quite the coup with only 6 picks. Not having a 1st rd pick and picking near the end of each round just makes it that much more difficult as does already having a pretty strong roster.

Here are the 6 starting players that I believe conceivably could be beaten out by rookies.

FS, SS, 1 Tech, 3 Tech, TE, and K.

K is easiest of course. Could do it with a 7th rounder. Could probably do it with a UDFA but I am specifically trying to find a way to get 6 starters with 6 picks.

FS and SS are both very possible. SS easiest but I believe we could get a starting FS with an early pick as well.

1 tech - would have to be better than Woods and Covington. Certainly not impossible.

3 tech - would have to beat out Collins and Crawford. This is a little harder but I believe doable.

TE - This is unlikely since Witten is returning but not impossible.

Here is the Mock draft that potentially could end up having 6 starters.

2. Thornhill FS - Easily the starter
3. Willis 3 tech - More talented than Collins and Crawford. Would need to apply himself.
4. Hooker SS - Could beat out Heath and Iloka
4. Daylon Mack 1 Tech - Top recruit that could conceivably beat out woods and Covington.
5. Dax Raymond TE - Older player that is mature enough to grasp responsibilities right away.
7. any number of kickers would have a shot at beating Maher.

It would be amazing to see 6 starters come from this draft with no 1st rd pick, picking late, and having a talented roster already but it is possible. IMO

Beaker42

Reaction score
I say it would be possible to come out of this draft with 6 starters. That would be quite the coup with only 6 picks. Not having a 1st rd pick and picking near the end of each round just makes it that much more difficult as does already having a pretty strong roster.

Here are the 6 starting players that I believe conceivably could be beaten out by rookies.

K is easiest of course. Could do it with a 7th rounder. Could probably do it with a UDFA but I am specifically trying to find a way to get 6 starters with 6 picks.

FS and SS are both very possible. SS easiest but I believe we could get a starting FS with an early pick as well.

1 tech - would have to be better than Woods and Covington. Certainly not impossible.

3 tech - would have to beat out Collins and Crawford. This is a little harder but I believe doable.

3. Willis 3 tech - More talented than Collins and Crawford. Would need to apply himself.
4. Daylon Mack 1 Tech - Top recruit that could conceivably beat out woods and Covington.
5. Dax Raymond TE - Older player that is mature enough to grasp responsibilities right away.

It would be amazing to see 6 starters come from this draft with no 1st rd pick, picking late, and having a talented roster already but it is possible. IMO
No way to know but 6 is almost impossible. Most teams are lucky to get 2 or 3 starters in a draft and they’re almost always higher-slotted in terms of top 5-6 picks each round. Where we are picking we’ll be lucky to get 1 let alone 6.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
No way to know but 6 is almost impossible. Most teams are lucky to get 2 or 3 starters in a draft and they’re almost always higher-slotted in terms of top 5-6 picks each round. Where we are picking we’ll be lucky to get 1 let alone 6.

Yep.

I was thinking about it the other day, and I think 2016 got us 5 starters (Zeke, Jaylon, Maliek Collins, Dak, Anthony Brown). That was maybe our best draft in the last 25 years, and I'm pretty sure we had a top 5 pick in every round.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Yea that's not going to happen. A rookie isn't beating out Xavier and most likely Heath either. No way Crawford gets beatout, salary and Captain ensures that. Antwaun Woods might get beat out but i highly doubt it considering that Rod doesnt go after 1 techs high anyways. No way Witten, Jarwin or Shultz gets beat out either. This is nothing but a dream or Madden, it's not reality.

cnuball21

Reaction score

I don’t think Willis and Hooker are available where you have them, but if so that’s a dream haul.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I see. Another picking at the end of each round guy.

It's always funny to read how a team had a good draft because they picked at the top of each round.

Oh and there is a 0.0% chance the Cowboys draft 6 starters. Be happy with 1 or 2.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
In 2019? Only one is likely, at SS, and that's only if we pick him in round 2 or 3. I dont think a project S will start over Iloka at SS.

If you count kicker, then maybe two.

This draft would be a success if it nets us 3 or 4 starters in 2020 or 2021. I think we would like to avoid giving big contracts to either of the Collins and maybe even Jones.

visionary

Reaction score

Apparently zero because I've been told that "were stacked"

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
All things being considered? without much consideration being applied towards the caliber of available draft acquisition's?,,,
( ONE/1) & thats with a strong wind at our backs,full flasks& with the all important smile of fortune's fates upon us,
:starspin::thumbup::starspin:

Last edited:

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
1-4 would be ideal. Our scouts can find gems but our staff might have someone else in mind.

Melonfeud

Reaction score
:starspin::thumbup::starspin:
Sound& reasoned wise reply, B-42:)

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
This draft might bring 1 starter at the most and thatd be only if It was a safety.

Melonfeud

Reaction score
1-4 would be ideal. Our scouts can find gems but our staff might have someone else in mind.
Ol' #38 won't surrender up his position to just any neophyte greenhorn
( laments over that fact are already scheduled & awaiting:lmao:)

* personally? The F.O. has got to appreciate the imperative need of seamlessly reinforcing that OFFENSIVE LINE, thusly affording the full & upmost of given opportunity's for our current strike force of point scoring firepower to establish itself in it's justification's in upcoming contract negotiations:starspin:

* and if that ain't a double edged cuts both ways point of insight?,,, somebody tell me what is,should they feel inclined so:popcorn:

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Ol' #38 won't surrender up his position to just any neophyte greenhorn
( laments over that fact are already scheduled & awaiting:lmao:)

* personally? The F.O. has got to appreciate the imperative need of seamlessly reinforcing that OFFENSIVE LINE, thusly affording the full & upmost of given opportunity's for our current strike force of point scoring firepower to establish itself in it's justification's in upcoming contract negotiations:starspin:

* and if that ain't a double edged cuts both ways point of insight?,,, somebody tell me what is,should they feel inclined so:popcorn:

If OT is pure BPA by leaps and bounds then I guess u gotta take it..

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Are we talking week 1? Because that number is almost certainly 0. Safety is really the only opportunity, barring injury.

DanA

Reaction score
Can’t see a draftee starting at the following positions:
QB
RB
LT
RG
OC
WR1

LDE
MIKE
WILL
RDE
CB1

I also think TE1, RT and CB2 are pretty unlikely. That leaves SWR, WR2, SS, FS, 3T, 1T, LG, NB as positions we could find a starter and then special teams. Safety and DT are they only likely to find positions though if we get a good not great player in the position.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why does everyone focus on the first year? They just can't get past right now. If you draft a player who ends up a starting player down the road you drafted a starter. So current roster makeup should be irrelevant to this question.

And the chances are still slim that the Cowboys find more than 1 or 2 in this draft. It could be 0.