How many starting players could we draft?

conner01

Reaction score
if they get one starter out of this draft they will be really lucky
And it’s not important
The key is how many can contribute year one and how many can be future starters
If you draft a DT he’s not likely to start but if he can earn reps and be productive that’s key

conner01

Reaction score
Why does everyone focus on the first year? They just can't get past right now. If you draft a player who ends up a starting player down the road you drafted a starter. So current roster makeup should be irrelevant to this question.

And the chances are still slim that the Cowboys find more than 1 or 2 in this draft. It could be 0.
0 is most likely
But like you said it’s not about starting year one
If you draft a DT he’s not likely to start but does he get in the rotation and show something

DanA

Reaction score
Why does everyone focus on the first year? They just can't get past right now. If you draft a player who ends up a starting player down the road you drafted a starter. So current roster makeup should be irrelevant to this question.

And the chances are still slim that the Cowboys find more than 1 or 2 in this draft. It could be 0.

4 years as a starter is better than 3

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I say it would be possible to come out of this draft with 6 starters. That would be quite the coup with only 6 picks. Not having a 1st rd pick and picking near the end of each round just makes it that much more difficult as does already having a pretty strong roster.

Here are the 6 starting players that I believe conceivably could be beaten out by rookies.

FS, SS, 1 Tech, 3 Tech, TE, and K.

K is easiest of course. Could do it with a 7th rounder. Could probably do it with a UDFA but I am specifically trying to find a way to get 6 starters with 6 picks.

FS and SS are both very possible. SS easiest but I believe we could get a starting FS with an early pick as well.

1 tech - would have to be better than Woods and Covington. Certainly not impossible.

3 tech - would have to beat out Collins and Crawford. This is a little harder but I believe doable.

TE - This is unlikely since Witten is returning but not impossible.

Here is the Mock draft that potentially could end up having 6 starters.

2. Thornhill FS - Easily the starter
3. Willis 3 tech - More talented than Collins and Crawford. Would need to apply himself.
4. Hooker SS - Could beat out Heath and Iloka
4. Daylon Mack 1 Tech - Top recruit that could conceivably beat out woods and Covington.
5. Dax Raymond TE - Older player that is mature enough to grasp responsibilities right away.
7. any number of kickers would have a shot at beating Maher.

It would be amazing to see 6 starters come from this draft with no 1st rd pick, picking late, and having a talented roster already but it is possible. IMO
You drafted Willis. Automatic backup there.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I say it would be possible to come out of this draft with 6 starters. That would be quite the coup with only 6 picks. Not having a 1st rd pick and picking near the end of each round just makes it that much more difficult as does already having a pretty strong roster.

Here are the 6 starting players that I believe conceivably could be beaten out by rookies.

I think we'll be lucky to come away with one. Now injuries to starters could increase that number, but I would guess 1 and they likely wouldn't be a day 1 starter either. A rookie isn't beating out Woods, so even if we draft Juan Thornhill, one of the two will play SS and we likely don't draft another safety. A rookie DT really isn't beating out Collins and or Crawford (if he's moving to 3T full time). Now Collins is hurt a lot, so injury may effect this, but unless we go DT at #58...which likely means we won't get a safety capable of starting early, Collins will start. Now we certainly could get a starting 1T, I just doubt we spend a 2nd or 3rd on one. 4th round or later would definitely not start. TE is kinda the same. I can see a rookie supplanting Witten by the end of the year, but it would likely have to be a 2nd or 3rd rounder. And as far as kicker goes, college kickers often don't translate to the NFL, so I disagree whole heartedly that a number of kickers would beat out Maher. Get an udfa to compete, but get used to Maher imo.

Sandyf

Reaction score

K is easiest of course. Could do it with a 7th rounder. Could probably do it with a UDFA but I am specifically trying to find a way to get 6 starters with 6 picks.

FS and SS are both very possible. SS easiest but I believe we could get a starting FS with an early pick as well.

1 tech - would have to be better than Woods and Covington. Certainly not impossible.

3 tech - would have to beat out Collins and Crawford. This is a little harder but I believe doable.

TE - This is unlikely since Witten is returning but not impossible.

Here is the Mock draft that potentially could end up having 6 starters.

2. Thornhill FS - Easily the starter
3. Willis 3 tech - More talented than Collins and Crawford. Would need to apply himself.
4. Hooker SS - Could beat out Heath and Iloka
4. Daylon Mack 1 Tech - Top recruit that could conceivably beat out woods and Covington.
5. Dax Raymond TE - Older player that is mature enough to grasp responsibilities right away.
7. any number of kickers would have a shot at beating Maher.

It would be amazing to see 6 starters come from this draft with no 1st rd pick, picking late, and having a talented roster already but it is possible. IMO
Could happen but most likely improbable unless the draft falls perfectly for Dallas and it never does for any team. Will be interesting to see what the Dallas board looks like in terms of the guys you have. Just don't think Hooker or Mack are rated that high for them. Guys that fall will be the interesting item and Dallas' intent on trades. I will say this, if Dallas really believes they are close to a Super Bowl then trading the #1 in 2020 will be in play.