How Many Times Have You Seen The Cowboys Draft Your Guy?

Ebnorice

Reaction score
Dez. D-law. Mo Claiborne‍♂️ Roy Williams. Taco‍♂️ pollard. Switzer

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The first time I can remember a pet cat getting drafted was in 1975 when the Cowboys drafted Randy White. After that it was a couple of years later when they drafted Tony Dorsett. Watching those guys in college convinced me they would make good pros.

Since when there have been so many. I'll throw some names out there: Todd Christensen, Herschel Walker (when everyone was convinced he wouldn't play in the NFL), Michael Irvin and Leon Lett (because he went to school about an hour from where I lived and no one knew who he was), Flozell Adams (monster in college), Terence Newman and Deuce Vaughn (again lived by me) and...Joseph Randle. Yes the underwear thief because he went to my high school.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
This is a piggyback off of @VaqueroTD's thread from yesterday:

Since you started following the Cowboys, how many times have you seen them draft the player you wanted in the 1st round? For me, it's been 5 times so far:

1990: Emmitt Smith
2002: Roy Williams
2010: Dez Bryant
2016: Ezekiel Elliott
2020: CeeDee Lamb
Honestly, would take me a while to recollect. Would have to go back in the memory banks and review drafts. But I’m not enough of a draftnik that it would go past 2nd round unless I knew them from college. I rarely spent time reading or watching highlights and profiles beyond high rounds.

Agree with Roy Williams, easy one. I think the other choice was Quentin Jammer for us?

Frankly, usually they don’t pick the guy I want. LOL. And I don’t try to be realistic about it either. Most of these guys I list… the Boys never had a shot unless they gave up a lot. Like I said, not much of a draftnik. Just certain dudes stand out to me as freak talents and have that instinct that they are going to make waves at next level. Tony Gonzalez (did not want LaFleur!), Tyler Linderbaum, Randy Moss, Jevon Kearse (da uncle!), Mike Vick, to name a few.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Tony Dorsett, Troy Aikman, Dez Bryant and Zeke.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Dorsett was probably the first one for more.. Unless you count Bob Hayes.. though them drafting him was the reason I became a Cowboy fan. I was ecstatic when they drafted Emmitt and Zeke too. Other than those guys I can't think of many times they've drafted "my" guy very often. Oh yeah Irvin.. I really wanted us to grab him!

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score

Since you started following the Cowboys, how many times have you seen them draft the player you wanted in the 1st round? For me, it's been 5 times so far:

Almost same as me except Emmitt ..... I was a teen who did not watch college ball.

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
They didn't draft my guy but he did have a short stint with the Cowboys... Randall Cobb... Anyone from University of KY that enters the NFL draft is my guy whether good or not... LOL

seamus18

Reaction score

I like your list. I would add Michael Irvin, and Troy Aikman to that list for me.

ATXSRT

Reaction score
I wanted Parsons since his senior bowl game. I don't know how other teams watched that tape and not want to draft him top 10. Literally wrecked that entire game by himself. I didn't care for the CBs Dallas was interested in (altho Surtain would have been nice too). I wanted Parsons all along and glad we got him.

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
They didn't draft my guy but he did have a short stint with the Cowboys... Randall Cobb... Anyone from University of KY that enters the NFL draft is my guy whether good or not... LOL
Felt the same about Leonard Davis. We didn't draft him, but he was, IMO, a very good o-lineman for a few years with the Cowboys.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So are we talking days leading up to the draft, or draft day itself, or both. Anyway....

Dorsett, though in hindsight as the draft was not televised then, as well they traded with Seattle to obtain that choice.
Irvin, Troy, Emmitt.
Ware
Dez, Zeke, Noah Brown

Lately, Overshown, but that was a draft day thing, and a few days leading up to the draft.

Thomas82

Reaction score
I like your list. I would add Michael Irvin, and Troy Aikman to that list for me.
I'm sure I would have wanted them too, but I didn't know anything about the draft until 1990, when I was 10 years old. That happened to be the first one I ever watched.

Thomas82

Reaction score
I wanted Parsons since his senior bowl game. I don't know how other teams watched that tape and not want to draft him top 10. Literally wrecked that entire game by himself. I didn't care for the CBs Dallas was interested in (altho Surtain would have been nice too). I wanted Parsons all along and glad we got him.
I wanted Penei Sewell myself, but I was still happy to have Micah.