How Many Times Have You Seen The Cowboys Draft Your Guy?

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
1999 = Wayne McGarity
2015 - Geoff Swaim
2018 - Connor Williams
2023 - DeMarvion Overshown

Hmm....I'm sensing a theme!! LOL :grin:
Swaim and I went to the same Juco, but many years apart.

Also, for the question in the OP. Michael Irvin, Troy Aikman and Emmitt Smith are the only players I wanted badly and the Cowboys picked them.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
This is a piggyback off of @VaqueroTD's thread from yesterday:

Since you started following the Cowboys, how many times have you seen them draft the player you wanted in the 1st round? For me, it's been 5 times so far:

1990: Emmitt Smith
2002: Roy Williams
2010: Dez Bryant
2016: Ezekiel Elliott
2020: CeeDee Lamb
twice.

CD. Emmitt.

didn't much care for Roy Williams or Zeke to be drafted that high. I wasn't as high on Dez Bryant.

Thomas82

Reaction score
So are we talking days leading up to the draft, or draft day itself, or both. Anyway....

Dorsett, though in hindsight as the draft was not televised then, as well they traded with Seattle to obtain that choice.
Irvin, Troy, Emmitt.
Ware
Dez, Zeke, Noah Brown

Lately, Overshown, but that was a draft day thing, and a few days leading up to the draft.
It could be either on draft day or leading up to it. I like your list. I'm sure I would have been ecstatic about us drafting TD, but that was 2 years before I was born.

plasticman

Reaction score
Tony Dorsett in 1977. When Tampa Bay took Ricky Bell I couldn't believe it.

I wanted Hershel Walker because I knew there was no way the new league was going to last. When they took him in the 5th round I was thrilled.

I'm a fan of academy teams and I wanted them to take Chad Hennings but I never dreamed they would actually do it.

Aikman in 1989, but that was a no-brainer.

I did want Zeke in 2016.

That's about it.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
Dez Bryant, Ceedee Lamb, and Trevon Diggs are 3 names I was absolutely bullish on during those respective drafts.

Honestly didn't think there was a snowballs chance in hell Lamb or Diggs fell to us.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Tony Dorsett - the reason I'm an apostate Skins fan turned Cowboys lovah!
Emmitt Smith - never dreamed he'd end up on the Cowboys.
Roy Williams - that play against Texas sold me.
Ezekiel Elliott - after he tore Alabama to shreds, I was a believa.

Aven8

Reaction score
Randy Moss……(still blame Irvin for this miss)
Roy Williams
Dez
Demarco Murray
Zeke
Micah

mrmojo

Reaction score
Too Tall
Dorsett
Irvin
Aikman
Woodson
Witten
R. Williams (Safety)
Micah

Motorola

Reaction score
They didn't draft my guy but he did have a short stint with the Cowboys... Randall Cobb... Anyone from University of KY that enters the NFL draft is my guy whether good or not... LOL
Bowl eligible with the next win @ Gamecocks?
What top Wildcats are coming out once the season ends?

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
One more Hurricanes player note: There was this guy you might have heard of that played for them. He tends to go by the stage name "The Rock". Had he been better at football I would have wanted Dallas to draft him. Turns out he was a much better pro wrestler and actor than football player.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
I only remember the ones they missed. Moss. Watt. Metcalf. Lamar Jackson. Justin Jefferson come to mind instantly. The whole 2023 draft

Hadenough

Reaction score
I wanted Parsons since his senior bowl game. I don't know how other teams watched that tape and not want to draft him top 10. Literally wrecked that entire game by himself. I didn't care for the CBs Dallas was interested in (altho Surtain would have been nice too). I wanted Parsons all along and glad we got him.
To be honest I wanted Dallas to AT LEAST TRY and trade up for Lawrence but as things were unfolding and everyone wanted a CB I kept saying Parsons. But hey what do I know I also wanted Watt over Taco.

Flamma

Reaction score
I never had any interest in the draft until 2016. That was the first one I ever watched in full. For some reason I thought it was boring. Now I either take the week off or just that night off. I love it.

2020: Lamb
2021: Parsons

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I seem to recall some hype for Bobby Carpenter but could be wrong?

The Quincy Carter one though for sure shocked the hell out of Cowboys Nation and Draft Reviews.
To appreciate the Carpenter pick , you have to consider that Parcels had a looong history of drafting great linebackers in NY and NE. He rarely ever missed at that position. And if you recall, Bobby looked pretty menacing his rookie year and played really well in the Seattle playoff loss. Parcels was bringing him along slowly on the edge. Then along came Wade Phillips and he tried to turn Bobby into an inside linebacker. End of story. Bobby was never a middle linebacker. We should have traded him the day parcels left the building.

75boyz

Reaction score
I watch my share of college football and draft shows as well.
But only 2 players stand out that got picked in the first round that I truly wanted and thought they would be a great Cowboy.
From different decades.
The first that comes to mind is Tony Dorsett.
And then there was Roy Williams, the safety.

In both cases from watching their stellar college careers I thought we wouldn't be able to get them.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
To appreciate the Carpenter pick , you have to consider that Parcels had a looong history of drafting great linebackers in NY and NE. He rarely ever missed at that position. And if you recall, Bobby looked pretty menacing his rookie year and played really well in the Seattle playoff loss. Parcels was bringing him along slowly on the edge. Then along came Wade Phillips and he tried to turn Bobby into an inside linebacker. End of story. Bobby was never a middle linebacker. We should have traded him the day parcels left the building.
Carpenter was a nepotism pick owing to his dad having played for Parcells back in the 80's. I never thought he warranted a first round pick status but agree he was miscast as an inside backer. He was much better outside.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This is a piggyback off of @VaqueroTD's thread from yesterday:

Since you started following the Cowboys, how many times have you seen them draft the player you wanted in the 1st round? For me, it's been 5 times so far:

1990: Emmitt Smith
2002: Roy Williams
2010: Dez Bryant
2016: Ezekiel Elliott
2020: CeeDee Lamb
Your list is pretty accurate. Ironically I did not like the Emmitt pick. Now he is my all time favorite Cowboy.