How Many Times Have You Seen The Cowboys Draft Your Guy?

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Will anyone say Quincey Carter or Bobby Carpenter? :lmao:
I was actually a big Kordell Stewart fan back in the day. Just the idea of a running QB, who could also legitimately play RB and WR intrigued me, so, yes, I was a fan of them drafting Quincy.

Everyone knocks Quincy, but he had enough talent, just got caught up in the wrong lifestyle.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I was actually a big Kordell Stewart fan back in the day. Just the idea of a running QB, who could also legitimately play RB and WR intrigued me, so, yes, I was a fan of them drafting Quincy.

Everyone knocks Quincy, but he had enough talent, just got caught up in the wrong lifestyle.
I liked Quincy too.. I feel sorry that he could not outrun his demons but I really thought the Cowboys did the absolute wrong thing by releasing him when he got suspended. The last thing an addict needs is to be cast aside to deal with his demons alone. The Cowboys and maybe the league as a whole did learn their lesson and kinda started keeping guys with the team and thus that structure and brotherhood that is so important for guys facing those kinds of demons. I also think the head games Bruce Coslet played trying to sabotage Quincy so he could insert Hutchinson was dirty as hell too. Carter had talent and simply needed time to sit and learn. Jerry forcing Campo to start him as a rookie was just dumb.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is a piggyback off of @VaqueroTD's thread from yesterday:

Since you started following the Cowboys, how many times have you seen them draft the player you wanted in the 1st round? For me, it's been 5 times so far:

1990: Emmitt Smith
2002: Roy Williams
2010: Dez Bryant
2016: Ezekiel Elliott
2020: CeeDee Lamb
Based on pre-draft opinion, my 4 favorite players ever available in the NFL draft: Not say all were the very best players but they were the ones I was extremely adament about.

The Cowboys drafted 3 of them...

Randy Moss
Jason Witten
Tyler Smith
Tyron Smith

Moss
I thought Moss was the best NFL prospect that I had ever watched.

Witten
I wanted to draft Witten in the 1st. I cussed Parcells when he bypassed him in the 2nd. Couldn't believe they got him in the 3rd.

Tyler Smith
I posted repeatedly about him pre-draft with one thread saying he was Larry Allen-ish.

Tyron Smith
This one was much more obvious. It was between him or Watt for many fans. Tyron's movement skills and physique were the best I had seen for a 300+ pound player.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Since you started following the Cowboys, how many times have you seen them draft the player you wanted in the 1st round? For me, it's been 5 times so far:

One more comment on Tyron...

He is still one of the most freakish body types I've seen for an NFL player.

He could be cast in a re-make of The Hulk or Terminator...

A local reporter said Tyron had benched over 600. With 36-3/8" arms vs 33" for LA, it's almost as impressive as LA's 700...

Unfortunately, I'm convinced that too much time in the weight room has been a big part of his injury issues.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score

I never thought he had that much talent. I was against drafting him because it was obvious he was never going to be anything other than a spare in the NFL.

kskboys

Reaction score
Mostly, they don't. They end up taking injured LB's, druggies, and stiff hipped DB's instead.

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I think we could start a thread on how many times you DIDN'T see the Cowboys draft your guy, and it would be 100 pages long!! :laugh:

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can admit I wanted Manziel in 2014..
tenor.gif

:laugh:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Other (non-unanimous fan/media opinion) that were my top rated at their position in their draft:
Trevon Diggs
- Favorite CB in that draft.

Travis Frederick

CeeDee
- I liked him much more than Jeudy/Ruggs; although I had him well above Justin Jefferson also...

Chidobe Awuzie
- My favorite CB in that draft.
- My top 2 options at #28:
---- Awuzie & Watt
---- Cowboys got Awuzie in 2nd.
---- Cowboys took Taco...

DeMarcus Ware
- I liked him much more than Merriman.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

And to finish with some that were obvious to most people:
Aikman
Irvin
Ken Norton Jr.
Kevin Smith

Zach Martin
- I was disappointed that Aaron Donald was gone.
- My top option going into that draft was not an OG, but ZM was one of the safest players in any draft in regards to nesr 100% probability of being a quality NFL starter.

Micah Parsons
- Easily the Best Played Available at #12.
- Didn't know he would be a DE.

- Roy Williams

- DLaw
- I had him rated late 1st.
- Of quality edge pass rushers, he was the best run defender I had seen.

blueblood70

Reaction score
recently had both corners and parsons as top 3 so that counts they took MP and so far looking like good choice horn is Mia , PS was on the trade block and while very good id take MP in draft do over, even if all 3 were there..

to be honest had no idea who was tyler smith or mazi smith but once i saw the tape and the write ups i was hap[py with both choices and still am..

Overshown
Parsons
Lamb
diggs
Zeke

not going back farther too many drafts to remember my thoughts at the time

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I didn't pay a lot of attention to the draft until the 1990's. Since then the players that actually made me happy when they drafted them were:

2002: Roy Williams and Antonio Bryant
2003: Terence Newman
2005: DeMarcus Ware
2012: Morris Claiborne (yes, I know, I was fooled)
2014: Zack Martin (actually I was happy for anyone not named Johnny Manziel that year, he scared me and for good reason)

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
As an OU alum, Roy and Ceedee are the two that stick out. I was happy about the T-New pick.