How much better is this team?

chicago JK

Reaction score
I am not sure. Going into the draft they had glaring holes to add true talent at DT, CB and safety on defense. And maybe DE.

they didn’t add top tier talent at DT Or safety. We will see about CB. Although we have been burned way to much in the past on the off the field character kid with a ton of potential who either didn’t start a lot in college/ or whose production didn’t match his talent. For our cb it is more of the lack of starts. Although it typically does t work out for Dallas.

add to the fact we have an aging offensive line coming off injury issues. A RB who probably saw
His best days and a new 40 million dollar qb coming off a serious injury.

the rest of the NFC east is a mess too but this roster isn’t going to scare anyone looking forward.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
We’re instantly better with Parsons and Joseph. And I’m saying this as somebody who really doesn’t like this draft.

kumizi

Reaction score
Probably not much better unless Kazee balls out and someone surprises at DT.

Parsons is the only plug and play impact guy from the draft. Joseph barely played in college. Even if you're optimistic he can focus on football, it's going to take him some time.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I am not sure. Going into the draft they had glaring holes to add true talent at DT, CB and safety on defense. And maybe DE.

they didn’t add top tier talent at DT Or safety. We will see about CB. Although we have been burned way to much in the past on the off the field character kid with a ton of potential who either didn’t start a lot in college/ or whose production didn’t match his talent. For our cb it is more of the lack of starts. Although it typically does t work out for Dallas.

add to the fact we have an aging offensive line coming off injury issues. A RB who probably saw
His best days and a new 40 million dollar qb coming off a serious injury.

the rest of the NFC east is a mess too but this roster isn’t going to scare anyone looking forward.

I think you're looking at it as a (disappointed) football fan (names and personnel) rather than as a coach who looks at weakness in terms of defensive strategy and schemes and will then look at how best to achieve it.

What we've achieved in this draft is to improve on schemes, looks and options. No longer will we be looking at pass rush coming solely from DE (and occasional 3-tech), we now have options: at LB, a different look Edge ..... and with Bohanna at 1-tech can take 2 blocks and added room/space for the 3-tech.

We've improved in the secondary with Joseph who would probably been a 1st round if he wasnt for Bossman Fat. He may not be plug and play, however, that's the same for vast majority of CB's as its a technical position. There just wasnt the out and out FS's available, ok look at the gaggle of CB's we've got on the roster to back up Kazee.

Oh and the run defense....improved with Bohanna and Parsons (and Cox).

This was a draft to put us in contention and was a totally different approach acknowledging that we have just too many holes to fix every position, so try and draft schemes and some rotational pieces that will help.

Look at DT for instance, were you looking at a 3-tech or NT/1-tech??? The argument is that we're actually weaker at 1-tech (filled with Bohanna)

What Safety were we looking at?? The roster has a number of SS's and what we're lacking is an out and out Free Safety centerfielder

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I think we are much better after FA and the draft.
  • We already had a nice safety in Wilson who can play either spot.
  • We added the young Kazee who was a pro bowl safety in Atlanta, a guy who finds the ball
  • We added Neal who is also young, a player who can play SS or WLB
  • We added the 3rd best DL man vs the run in Urban. I watched him in Chicago...fans are going to love him. We also added depth with Watkins
  • We finally have a true MLB, an athletic stud who is instinctive and plays the right way, a guy who also rushes the QB well when asked.
  • We drafted CBs who are all playmakers who create turnovers. Before the draft, Brown was the fastest player on our roster. Now, he may be 5th at best. There were several CBs in this draft who may prove better than Surtain or Horn in time. We got one of them.
  • We drafted a 64, 212, fast CB from SC who played safety there until they moved hi to safety. He will likely return to safety.
  • We drafted a DT who is never going to be confused with a NT, but he is supposed to be very good vs the run, yet very quick and can provide versatility at 3 tech or end.
  • We drafted a pass rushing DE with some size, a guy who can be part of our DE rotation and rush from inside if asked.
  • We drafted an OT who may be our answer at swing tackle in a year.
  • We drafted a true 1 tech, and the 1 tech names you know were not taken much higher than he was, so maybe he’s the guy to occupy blockers.
  • We drafted a fast, tall deep threat WR who is a redzone playmaker, a guy whose best football is ahead of him and who can replace Gallup next season
I like this draft. We didn’t panic and use picks to move up for CBs who are not shut down corners in a draft full of CBs with speed and playmaking ability. We didn’t move up for a safety that was dropping behind others because teams weren’t happy with his tackling, a guy who was unlikely to walk-in and take Kazee’s spot. There was no Ramsey at CB or Reid/Adams at S this year.

I believe this offseason saw us improve our front 7 on defense. We have a better DL vs the run. We have added better players to the DE rotation, both for pass rush and some bulk vs the run. We added a starting MLB and another situational LB who will shine vs the pass and possibly start down the road. We found 3 DBs and a MLB who are all faster than our fastest player last season.

The draft isn’t just about the upcoming season. We now have players with speed and attitude. It’s up to Quinn to figure out how to use them.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Turnover on defense can’t be a bad thing and our defensive roster has turned over about 50%.

That doesn’t necessarily mean better results but we have a decent chance.

The key to the season is how the OL holds up. We didn’t really add much there and we’re relying on fragile, aging talent.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Sometimes defenses all click and move on a string and fly around and it’s just one of those seasons.

it stinks to waste so many resources on Jaylon and LVE and taco etc. and lose lee and have to start fresh but these no names might just staring flying around and forcing turnovers and it’ll be a great season. We don’t need all pros we just need big plays at key times. They took great athletes I’m hopeful it’ll be a fun season