CFZ How much work do the Jones’ really put in?

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
I'm with you. I think all this talk about them not caring about winning is crazy. I think they definitely want to win, I just think they have no idea how to actually do it. Imagine these two if this franchise won a Super Bowl again? They'd certainly want to be front and center.

They do have an idea, and have history to back that up. When all Jerry did was stay in his office and sign checks they had a dynasty. When Jerry insisted on being the football guy we have the last 26 years.

And again, if Jerry wanted to win as badly as I do he would step aside. He can stay owner, he just needs to hire a 3 star michelin chef, and let them cook the meals.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Jerry is a great owner and a terrible GM.
He wont fire himself, so we are screwed until he passes the baton to Stephen.
Don't know if that will be an improvement, but there's hope.

I'd argue that makes him a bad owner too. Jerry is good at business, but he won't fire the problem employee that has been improperly managing the Cowboys.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
First of all how much work should they put in. If you’re not micromanaging it’s about hiring the right people. If you’re going to micromanage you better be 24 seven

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The Jones boys eat breathe and sleep improving the Cowboys. What more can they do? The coaches still have to coach and the players still have to execute.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
The Jones boys eat breathe and sleep improving the Cowboys. What more can they do? The coaches still have to coach and the players still have to execute.

Again, they could recognize that they are the common denominator over the last 26 years, and hire the best staff on earth to run the team.

MoistMayonnaise

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score
Let's get this out of the way. No billionaire really works. They may show up to the office and consume oxygen but the heavy lifting is all done for them. All Jerry really does is dress himself, wipe his butt and pour his own drinks (maybe).

foofighters

Reaction score
I am sure they spend a fair amount of time at the facility. However, I'd bet that Jerry is just adding and re-adding his bank book and Stephen is trying not to make his nose bleed from picking his nose all day.

fivetwos

Reaction score
The results don’t prove so, but the last two teams feel like they are better than the last two Garrett teams, so just maybe the Jones boys are working less these days.

In all seriousness, Wil McClay is the actual GM. He brings the opinions of all to Jerry and kid and they decide from there.

The case can be made that several minds are better than one, but in reality, it hasn’t worked…..not for them or any other pro sports franchise.

The idea that Jerry still insists he can pull it off tells you all you need to know about his ego.

nobody

Reaction score

By definition you can't be a great owner if you won't fire the biggest problem holding the team back for 26 years. He won't fire himself as GM and keeps that same incompetent GM in place, ergo he doesn't care enough about winning to swallow is pride and hire someone that will actually do the job.

That means he a fairly decent owner at best. There is no way he's great.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They're way too lazy to really do the job. They're the top two guys in our personnel department and they need the guy under them to attend the post draft press conference to break down the players.

Keep in mind that after drafting Micah, in the press conference that night Stephen admitted he hadn't watched Micah's bowl game but saw some highlights and Brad Sham was really impressed by him.

That should tell you about their work ethic. They just want the title of the gig. They don't want the work that comes with it.
I'm sure they work harder than most on this board.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The Joneses eat, sleep and crap Cowboys and have ever since the Jerry bought the team in 1989. It’s not the lack of work that’s caused the team to spin its wheels the past 2+ decades.

Hardline

Reaction score
Great owners hire great GMs
Jerry is NOT a great owner. And if Will McClay is the defacto GM Jerry needs to officially give him the title and get the hell out of the way

MyFairLady

Reaction score
If you job shadowed those two clowns for a week you would want to blow your own brains out. It would be almost non stop drinking. Throw in some young girls. Lots of insane meals. A few promotional appearances and a few mindless zoom calls to make sure Dak gets his throws and Zeke gets his snaps.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
I'm sure they work harder than most on this board.

They don't
The Joneses eat, sleep and crap Cowboys and have ever since the Jerry bought the team in 1989. It’s not the lack of work that’s caused the team to spin its wheels the past 2+ decades.

If this was true they wouldn't schedule family vacations during the first week of free agency.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
They don't

If this was true they wouldn't schedule family vacations during the first week of free agency.

it is true whether you want to believe it or not. No one puts more work into the Cowboys than Jerry Jones. There’s not an owner out there that comes even close to putting in the amount of work he does. He wears a lot of hats, which is part of the problem with the team. I’m certainly not trying to make excuses for him because I’m as down on him is everyone else but he and Stephen put a lot of work into building this team. Not many thought the team would be worth a crap this season and they are 6-3.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
By definition you can't be a great owner if you won't fire the biggest problem holding the team back for 26 years. He won't fire himself as GM and keeps that same incompetent GM in place, ergo he doesn't care enough about winning to swallow is pride and hire someone that will actually do the job.

That means he a fairly decent owner at best. There is no way he's great.
Agreed, thanks for pointing that out my friend !
:thumbup:

LonnieElam

Reaction score
My best friend worked for the Cowboys for 6 or 7 years. Like, I was given a "tour" of his office in Dysfunction Junction before it was entirely done. I've drank in the new bus (he knows the driver and he came to his wedding and used the bus to take them from the reception to the hotel). He still technically works for the Cowboys, but his whole department got outsourced to another company. Well, that company is owned by a guy that is related to the Jones through marriage somehow. He told me that they hire incompetent family members ALL OVER the organization. He says Jerry and Stephen don't give a darn about actually winning a Super Bowl; they care about making money. He's also said the Cowboys are "run by 2 rich rednecks that really have no clue what they're doing" - but they can make money.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Over the years watching Jerry introduce the participants in the next big boxing match, concert or tractor pull at the stayjum should tells us all we need to know about their full time commitment to the Cowboys front office.

At least Jerry worked hard in his earlier days to get where he’s at. Stephen on the other hand is the laziest/luckiest executive in the NFL. He’s more committed to telling fans why they can’t get big roster moves done than showing us they can. He qualified for his job and maintains it regardless of results based 100% on DNA. Honestly, I believe Jerry is better than SJ and I think JJ is bad and out of touch.

Winning a SB at this point would happen because of Will McClays talent and in spite of the Jones boys. Sadly, we are in the “blind squirrel finds a nut” era.

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
Probably 2-3 hrs tops. The rest is just hanging out with players, chatting, having fun with media stuff unless you want to classify that as work.