CFZ How much work do the Jones’ really put in?

MyFairLady

Reaction score
If you owned a professional football team would you hire an 80 year old man to run the show and make all of the most important decisions? Of course not you would laugh in his senile old face. It truly is a complete clown show. Believe you me I love the Cowboys and I defended Jerry for years because of the early 90s success but things have gotten so far off the rails now I fear there is no way to ever truly recover.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Again, they could recognize that they are the common denominator over the last 26 years, and hire the best staff on earth to run the team.
That's a bad theory. After all, you are the common denominator over the course of your Cowboys fanhood and you're still doing it wrong!

Mr_437

Reaction score
I'll say it again, Jones Family vacation is the start of Free Agency if that helps you get a gauge.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
If you're rich and can do a job for as long as you live there is no motivation.

GMs who know they'll be fired if they don't produce have real motivation.

WOW.

So you think people only work because out of fear ?

shabazz

Reaction score
Owners of most companies DELEGATE authority to others who specialize in their departments. The problem is that they ARE involved as wannabe general managers.

Robert Kraft is a good example of an owner that delegated authority to his GM and coaches and probably spent most of his time sampling the entire chain of Asian Orchard Day spas in search of the perfect happy ending……in this case he was the perfect owner

Scottishcowboy

Reaction score
Let's get this out of the way. No billionaire really works. They may show up to the office and consume oxygen but the heavy lifting is all done for them. All Jerry really does is dress himself, wipe his butt and pour his own drinks (maybe).

ehhhhhhh, take it you haven't seen Eddie Murphy in Coming to America?

Bagman

Reaction score
Been saying it for years. The Jones' are far and away the LAZIEST team execs in the NFL. Every other GM is out there, burning the midnight oil trying to find a way to get better. Jerry and Stephen are planning vacations, concerts, tractor pulls and corporate sponsorships. Football is probably #5 on their list of priorities. In fact, by the time they get around to football, Free Agency is usually in its 2nd or 3rd week.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
We all hear Jerry and Stephen tell us they’re 100% dedicated to fielding a winner and they’re continuously searching for ways to improve. 24/7/365, according to Stephen.

But I want to know: how much work do you guys think Jerry and Stephen truly put in, in regards to direct management of the Cowboys roster? No, promotional work and media interviews don’t count.

The Jones family has ultimate job security. From top to bottom, they all know they’ll have, and keep, their job in the family business. And I think we all know what happens to people when they start feeling content and comfortable in their profession.. they get complacent and lazy.

That’s exactly what I think goes on in Dallas.

Despite 27 years of continuous mediocrity, the Cowboys have become the most recognizable and valuable franchise in all of sports. Jerry and Stephen know that and also know that diligence in regards to roster improvement really isn’t even required. No matter how good/bad the team is, millions of fans lap up what the Jones’ give them, and advertisers line up to be associated with the team.

Jerry sure loves to be around when there’s an opportunity to speak to a camera, and Stephen makes sure to be present during owners meetings and other draft & media related endeavors, but on a daily basis, I bet they're MIA. They rely on Will McClay and other REAL football minds to explore the market, and Jerry and Stephen just wait around for the press release so they can take the credit.

How much time, say, in a week, do the Jones’ work? If you ask me, very very little. Probably a few hours per week.

And we wonder why we aren’t good. We have a part-time GM who’s more concerned about revenue and ratings.
You can work all you like but if you don’t have the necessary talent, then it makes little odds!

ESisback

Reaction score
We all hear Jerry and Stephen tell us they’re 100% dedicated to fielding a winner and they’re continuously searching for ways to improve. 24/7/365, according to Stephen.

But I want to know: how much work do you guys think Jerry and Stephen truly put in, in regards to direct management of the Cowboys roster? No, promotional work and media interviews don’t count.

The Jones family has ultimate job security. From top to bottom, they all know they’ll have, and keep, their job in the family business. And I think we all know what happens to people when they start feeling content and comfortable in their profession.. they get complacent and lazy.

That’s exactly what I think goes on in Dallas.

Despite 27 years of continuous mediocrity, the Cowboys have become the most recognizable and valuable franchise in all of sports. Jerry and Stephen know that and also know that diligence in regards to roster improvement really isn’t even required. No matter how good/bad the team is, millions of fans lap up what the Jones’ give them, and advertisers line up to be associated with the team.

Jerry sure loves to be around when there’s an opportunity to speak to a camera, and Stephen makes sure to be present during owners meetings and other draft & media related endeavors, but on a daily basis, I bet they're MIA. They rely on Will McClay and other REAL football minds to explore the market, and Jerry and Stephen just wait around for the press release so they can take the credit.

How much time, say, in a week, do the Jones’ work? If you ask me, very very little. Probably a few hours per week.

And we wonder why we aren’t good. We have a part-time GM who’s more concerned about revenue and ratings.

If that’s your perception, who am I to argue? You can believe whatever you want. Personally, I think they put more into it, but all any of us can really do is speculate.