CFZ How much work do the Jones’ really put in?

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We all hear Jerry and Stephen tell us they’re 100% dedicated to fielding a winner and they’re continuously searching for ways to improve. 24/7/365, according to Stephen.

But I want to know: how much work do you guys think Jerry and Stephen truly put in, in regards to direct management of the Cowboys roster? No, promotional work and media interviews don’t count.

The Jones family has ultimate job security. From top to bottom, they all know they’ll have, and keep, their job in the family business. And I think we all know what happens to people when they start feeling content and comfortable in their profession.. they get complacent and lazy.

That’s exactly what I think goes on in Dallas.

Despite 27 years of continuous mediocrity, the Cowboys have become the most recognizable and valuable franchise in all of sports. Jerry and Stephen know that and also know that diligence in regards to roster improvement really isn’t even required. No matter how good/bad the team is, millions of fans lap up what the Jones’ give them, and advertisers line up to be associated with the team.

Jerry sure loves to be around when there’s an opportunity to speak to a camera, and Stephen makes sure to be present during owners meetings and other draft & media related endeavors, but on a daily basis, I bet they're MIA. They rely on Will McClay and other REAL football minds to explore the market, and Jerry and Stephen just wait around for the press release so they can take the credit.

How much time, say, in a week, do the Jones’ work? If you ask me, very very little. Probably a few hours per week.

And we wonder why we aren’t good. We have a part-time GM who’s more concerned about revenue and ratings.

JayFord

Reaction score
they are dedicated and want to win just as badly as the fans do

Just because they havent doenst mean they dont care, its just the archaic ways they do things that holds them back

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They're way too lazy to really do the job. They're the top two guys in our personnel department and they need the guy under them to attend the post draft press conference to break down the players.

Keep in mind that after drafting Micah, in the press conference that night Stephen admitted he hadn't watched Micah's bowl game but saw some highlights and Brad Sham was really impressed by him.

That should tell you about their work ethic. They just want the title of the gig. They don't want the work that comes with it.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

Just because they havent doenst mean they dont care, its just the archaic ways they do things that holds them back

If you're rich and can do a job for as long as you live there is no motivation.

GMs who know they'll be fired if they don't produce have real motivation.

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
Job security is secure so no need to procure with the Jones clan. They're not getting fired so they don't care, as long as the seats are full and the cowboys are the talk of the NFL then that's enough for them. I wish they realized that if they really produced a super bowl champ or contender then it would be even more lucrative for them. We'd be buying merchandise and filling that stadium like crazy. Everyone would be talking about Dallas all off season. Jerry won't see another super bowl in his lifetime. They have an 8-8 mentality, where they're not good enough to produce a winner but they're good enough to stay relevant.

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
If you're rich and can do a job for as long as you live there is no motivation.

GMs who know they'll be fired if they don't produce have real motivation.
I just wrote the same, I completely agree!

GMO415

Reaction score
Banker hours would be a stretch. Probably no more than 4-6 hours a day on football.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Fear of losing your job is a great motivator. Playing fantasy football with your kids, for as long as you like, has no consequences for failure.

Sure, you'd like to win and get accolades, but if you don't, so what? Still making big bucks and get to try again next year. No worries. :rolleyes:

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think they put in some work(2-3 hours a day) on the personnel side but the problem is…….they don’t really know what they are doing on the football side of things. With no fear of failure, no success will come.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We all hear Jerry and Stephen tell us they’re 100% dedicated to fielding a winner and they’re continuously searching for ways to improve. 24/7/365, according to Stephen.

But I want to know: how much work do you guys think Jerry and Stephen truly put in, in regards to direct management of the Cowboys roster? No, promotional work and media interviews don’t count.

The Jones family has ultimate job security. From top to bottom, they all know they’ll have, and keep, their job in the family business. And I think we all know what happens to people when they start feeling content and comfortable in their profession.. they get complacent and lazy.

Despite 27 years of continuous mediocrity, the Cowboys have become the most recognizable and valuable franchise in all of sports. Jerry and Stephen know that and also know that diligence in regards to roster improvement really isn’t even required. No matter how good/bad the team is, millions of fans lap up what the Jones’ give them, and advertisers line up to be associated with the team.

Jerry sure loves to be around when there’s an opportunity to speak to a camera, and Stephen makes sure to be present during owners meetings and other draft & media related endeavors, but on a daily basis, I bet they're MIA. They rely on Will McClay and other REAL football minds to explore the market, and Jerry and Stephen just wait around for the press release so they can take the credit.

How much time, say, in a week, do the Jones’ work? If you ask me, very very little. Probably a few hours per week.

And we wonder why we aren’t good. We have a part-time GM who’s more concerned about revenue and ratings.
They put in less time than most GM’s and VP’s . I’ve read where a GM might put in 75 hours a week during the season from watching film, meetings, traveling , contract negotiations, etc…very demanding job.

Jethro has admitted to not watching film. He’s apart time GM at best. He spends more time negotiating sponsorships, interviews , weekly radio show , etc.

Basically the Dallas Cowboys don’t have a GM,

Cowboys5217

Reaction score

If the Jones Brain Trust wanted to win as bad as I do they would step aside, and hire the best staff on earth to lead this franchise.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
The thing in sports unlike any other branch is, that you don't have to win in order to stay in business. It's the only way to be able to constantly f*** up and not lose your company in the process.

So I don't know what kind of business man Jerry is outside the Cowboys world. Must be kind of successful due to his fortune. And as a business man he also leads to Cowboys very well.

What he hasn't understood though (or simply ignores as long as the dollars keep flying his way) is, that the fans don't give a rat's arse about his commercial success, but want a Superbowl.

And this automatically makes him the worst owner in the NFL. Don't care how much work they put into team management. Because the amount they do put in, just sucks.

lukin2006

Reaction score
They spend too much time doing radio shows and talking about wanting to win than actually meeting with their staff and working towards winning a Super Bowl…

Acceptablename

Reaction score

Xcode

Would it make any difference. They may not have adequate staff but I doubt it

SlammedZero

Reaction score

I'm with you. I think all this talk about them not caring about winning is crazy. I think they definitely want to win, I just think they have no idea how to actually do it. Imagine these two if this franchise won a Super Bowl again? They'd certainly want to be front and center.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
More time than I would if I was the billionaire owner of whatever it was I owned. Miss me with this nonsense, I'd hire people to deal with this and I'd be on a boat or a golf course every day.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Jerry is a great owner and a terrible GM.
He wont fire himself, so we are screwed until he passes the baton to Stephen.
Don't know if that will be an improvement, but there's hope.

phildadon86

Reaction score

They took a family vacation during the first week of FA a few years back.

That should explain their level of commitment and work ethic regarding this franchise to every fan.