How much would Surtain and Moehrig improve the D?

J-man

Reaction score
Assuming there’s no huge addition to the front 7, besides maybe a healthy McCoy, how much better is this D with Surtain at 10 and Moehrig at 44

Secondary would have 4 real starters for the first time in ages. Run D would still be an issue and the pass D would all be manned by young guys aside from Brown in the nickel.

I'd love to get both players. They would great additions to the secondary and really go a long way to helping this defense get off the field. I do think they'd have more effect in the long term vs this season, but great picks non the less.

I believe that the defense needs to be good/sound at all levels, or will just not be very effective. Our secondary isn't great, but it isn't terrible either. Or pass rush isn't great, but it isn't terrible either. But our run defense is terrible. And when you are that weak in one area, teams will exploit it. Which forces you to change what you're doing, which weakens other areas. Effecting the entire defense for the negative.
So, I think for this defense to take a big step forward this year, the run defense needs to be addressed. We need a stud LB and a huge lane clogging, run stuffing NT/1DT and everyone else on D will look better.

ps. I wouldn't count on McCoy coming back or be any good if he does. Besides he's another pass rushing 3T when we need a run stuffing 1T.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Unless DT and LB is upgraded, an improved secondary won't make a huge difference. Fix the run defense, find ways to stop the run with only 6 in the box, then you can get creative with your secondary when you force teams to abandon the run and become one-dimensional

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
When? As rookies, very little.
This. I’d love the long term outlook, but DBs often struggle to adjust to the nfl year one. Diggs is a great example. You can tell he has the talent to be a legit NFL CB, but we had a lot of growing pains too. I think you’d have similar results to what we saw out of this years group with flashes of brilliance. If we get lucky and stay healthy it could be a group that starts to really mesh towards the end of the season.

Gaede

Reaction score
Surtain and Moehrig would be just about as good as it could get.

Draft a couple fat guys on the DL and MLB who understands the sport, and we are solid

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Surtain and Moehrig would be just about as good as it could get.

Draft a couple fat guys on the DL and MLB who understands the sport, and we are solid
Draft a couple fat guys lol. Yall disrespect dt same as Jerry

conner01

Reaction score
They wouldn’t be all you got but they would help a ton
We still have plenty more picks to fill other needs
Including some size at DT

RandyOh

Reaction score
I have a question for those that know this years draft class more then I do at this point. Are the D Tackle prospects available in a 1st round trade back or the 2nd round leaps and bounds better then what we already have in Gallimore? If not then Surtain/Farley and Moehrig may be the best we can do as in getting the best defensive talents possible.

kskboys

Reaction score
Trying to fix a defense that was 2nd worst Vs the run and 20th in sacks with a CB and FS is like trying to dam the Mississippi River with toothpicks...not saying they aren’t good prospects, but unless legit free agents are signed (lol at that thought) for the front 7 the D will be no better.
Could you PLEASE get this memo to Jerry?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have a question for those that know this years draft class more then I do at this point. Are the D Tackle prospects available in a 1st round trade back or the 2nd round leaps and bounds better then what we already have in Gallimore? If not then Surtain/Farley and Moehrig may be the best we can do as in getting the best defensive talents possible.
DT isn't a great position of quality or depth according to those that evaluate drafts. Which means a lot of D players are going to get selected above where they might be picked.

The problem I see with the Cowboys is addressed by any D player that is an upgrade over what they have now. They need help on all 3 units and in this draft the CB's and LB's are above the DT's. Barmore has been rising but I don't trust that, he is inconsistent and part of a team that stresses team D.

Now that the Cowboys have Quinn, be interesting to see which position he's leaning toward. His D isn't one player away, more like five players away.

tm1119

Reaction score
DT isn't a great position of quality or depth according to those that evaluate drafts. Which means a lot of D players are going to get selected above where they might be picked.

The problem I see with the Cowboys is addressed by any D player that is an upgrade over what they have now. They need help on all 3 units and in this draft the CB's and LB's are above the DT's. Barmore has been rising but I don't trust that, he is inconsistent and part of a team that stresses team D.

Now that the Cowboys have Quinn, be interesting to see which position he's leaning toward. His D isn't one player away, more like five players away.

For whatever reason people are pretending like Nixon from Iowa doesn’t exist...really weird to me

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For whatever reason people are pretending like Nixon from Iowa doesn’t exist...really weird to me
He's at 10 on Kiper's list.

The problem with that position and Booger is he doesn't think DT is sexy enough in the 1st round so on their real board, don't know where Barmore and Nixon will fall but chances are, well behind the CB's. They like to say they would have taken Donald but I don't buy that at all.

For whatever reason, the DL players get compared to previous drafts more than other positions.

The mistake is trying to place a draft value on a player. Can he help the D or not? Who cares if they take a player ranked at 18 by the "experts"?

Reminds me of all the railing against picking Yosemite where they did. They got a great player and anchored their OL, I don't care if they picked him at the 1 spot. The object is to get your players, not impress a bunch of people that never picked a player.

stilltheguru

Reaction score

The problem with that position and Booger is he doesn't think DT is sexy enough in the 1st round so on their real board, don't know where Barmore and Nixon will fall but chances are, well behind the CB's. They like to say they would have taken Donald but I don't buy that at all.

For whatever reason, the DL players get compared to previous drafts more than other positions.

The mistake is trying to place a draft value on a player. Can he help the D or not? Who cares if they take a player ranked at 18 by the "experts"?

Reminds me of all the railing against picking Yosemite where they did. They got a great player and anchored their OL, I don't care if they picked him at the 1 spot. The object is to get your players, not impress a bunch of people that never picked a player.
The worse thing about the draft is so called experts and fans overusing bpa and reach. Just look at the reaction from selecting Frederick

RandyOh

Reaction score

Ah okay. So maybe after the top DT or top 2 DTs, the talent falls off to maybe 3rd or 4th round projected tackles? And agreed. We are a good half a dozen players away from having a good defense. Here is to hoping this years draft nets us at least 3 long term starters on defense going forward.

tm1119

Reaction score

Ya I’m not disagreeing...not saying the cowboys will or expecting them to take a DT. I was more commenting that I don’t even see people talking about Nixon like he belongs in the conversation even from a talent standpoint.

tm1119

Reaction score
So after Nixon, the talent drops off significantly?

Ya I don’t think any other DT’s will pop into 1st round contention.

Tufele (USC), Onwuzurike (Wash), Twyman (Pitt) and Marvin Wilson (FSU) are all interesting but probably mid 2/3rd round guys. Shelvin (LSU) is a gigantic NT that is probably a plug and play 2 down starter so he could maybe sneak into 2nd/3rd round contention too.

But info is all over the place in this crazy covid year so opinions seem to vary pretty heavily...won’t surprise me if in a couple months some of the rankings we are looking at now seem silly. I’m trying to take the wait and see approach this year.