How often does a legal reclamation player work out?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Uh. Not in Dallas.

He even went on to say it is basically impossible to get better playing in Dallas.

I even went to try and find this and could find nothing. I found Hardy saying that but that is a different situation. Smith was a drunk and did stupid things while drunk.

Hardy seems like a sociopath so it fits that he would not stop as long as he could get away with his bad behavior. You have to want to get better after all.

Obviously there is no guarantee here but Smith would hardly be the first person to have his life destroyed by substance abuse only to turn it around after. His actions indicate he is well on his way.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I think Rolondo McClain is exactly the right example. He cost nothing in picks and salary but gave us one really good year, one OK one and then was gone. Aldon Smith doesn't have to get 20 sacks to make this into a successful move.

If the team success had been better during his one really good year, he would probably be remembered more fondly. Not that it's an exact comparison, but one reason Cowboys fans like the Charles Haley acquisition is because of the success we had when he joined the team. Haley was a locker-room disaster that the 49ers couldn't wait to get rid of, if we had had a weak team or coaching staff, his time here would likely remembered more like Greg Hardy's.

Now, I want to be clear before someone jumps all over that, Haley's faults are not comparable to Hardy's actions. Haley just clashed with coaches and other players, doing things like sticking his naked junk in their faces (although that would be less acceptable now than it was during that time period)

JBS

Reaction score
Mike Vick was pretty good when he got out of jail.

12+88=7

Reaction score
It's Jerry Jones trying to catch lightning in a bottle.

That hardly ever happens.

JBS

Reaction score
How about Mike Tyson? Does he count ;)

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Looking at the history of the Dallas Cowboys under Jerry Jones, there have been more than a few times Jerry rolled the dice on a player who had major legal problems that caused them to either be suspended or even sit out a year (or more) from the NFL.

Before getting into the names of past examples, let’s take Charles Haley And TO off this list. Sure Haley was “troubled” and considered a pain to work with. But he was never banned from the league for an arrest for off field behavior. He was obtained in a trade from the niners in ‘92, and despite being difficult in the locker room at times was a huge reason the Cowboys won those SBs in the 90s. But never compare Charles Haley’s situation or behavior to someone like Aldon Smith.

And Terrell Owens? Sure he eventually became a locker room cancer, but he was not a guy getting arrested and suspended from the league like the guys we’re about to list. Haley and TO we’re difficult but they weren’t guys with a long rap sheet.

So now we can talk about the guys this organization has taken in as “Reclamation projects”. Players who have had major legal or substance problems causing them to miss games due to suspension- some even for a full season or more. Here are some of the names I could remember:
  • Ryan Leaf-
  • Tank Johnson
  • Alonzo Spellman
  • Dimitrius Underwood
  • PacMan Jones-
  • Josh Brent-
  • Rolondo McLain
  • David Irving-
  • Randy Gregory- I actually like this kid and think he still has a chance. He’s tested positive for weed several times but no arrests for DV or other things besides weed.
  • Greg Hardy
  • Aldon Smith- at least 6 arrests including domestic violence, making a terroristic threat at LAX, and multiple DWIs.
I’m sure I’ve forgotten some names. How many of these guys were “worth it” and made major contributions to our success, especially in the playoffs? You could possibly argue that Irving and Ro McClain were contributors, but they were so unreliable, you couldn’t count on them being there for long stretches.

So out of that list...maybe two guys...occasionally helped us win. Please don’t say I’m saying we only need “choir boys”. Of course we have and will always have some troubled players. But isn’t there at least some line that can’t be crossed?

Tell me again why this organization keeps doing this stuff? It can’t be because it has worked so well in the past.

Not talking about any players, but your rationale on some. You brought up about players who got DWI as a reason to dismiss them but then say you think Gregory still has a chance and all he did was smoke some pot. Lets see now, drinking alcohol, if old enough, is not illegal. It is illegal to drive while drunk, but drinking is not illegal. For Gregory, at the time, smoking pot in the state he was in was illegal for anyone at any age. So you dismiss someone who legally drank but then drove drunk but then say it's OK for another player to do something that is illegal and not hold doing an illegal act against him.

MikeB80

Reaction score
I even went to try and find this and could find nothing. I found Hardy saying that but that is a different situation. Smith was a drunk and did stupid things while drunk.

Hardy seems like a sociopath so it fits that he would not stop as long as he could get away with his bad behavior. You have to want to get better after all.

Obviously there is no guarantee here but Smith would hardly be the first person to have his life destroyed by substance abuse only to turn it around after. His actions indicate he is well on his way.

well he said it and I remember it well. He was with the bengals and talked about how he stopped getting in trouble. I would find it myself but i am not your research assistant nor do I care if you believe me or not.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Looking at the history of the Dallas Cowboys under Jerry Jones, there have been more than a few times Jerry rolled the dice on a player who had major legal problems that caused them to either be suspended or even sit out a year (or more) from the NFL.

Before getting into the names of past examples, let’s take Charles Haley And TO off this list. Sure Haley was “troubled” and considered a pain to work with. But he was never banned from the league for an arrest for off field behavior. He was obtained in a trade from the niners in ‘92, and despite being difficult in the locker room at times was a huge reason the Cowboys won those SBs in the 90s. But never compare Charles Haley’s situation or behavior to someone like Aldon Smith.

And Terrell Owens? Sure he eventually became a locker room cancer, but he was not a guy getting arrested and suspended from the league like the guys we’re about to list. Haley and TO we’re difficult but they weren’t guys with a long rap sheet.

So now we can talk about the guys this organization has taken in as “Reclamation projects”. Players who have had major legal or substance problems causing them to miss games due to suspension- some even for a full season or more. Here are some of the names I could remember:
  • Ryan Leaf-
  • Tank Johnson
  • Alonzo Spellman
  • Dimitrius Underwood
  • PacMan Jones-
  • Josh Brent-
  • Rolondo McLain
  • David Irving-
  • Randy Gregory- I actually like this kid and think he still has a chance. He’s tested positive for weed several times but no arrests for DV or other things besides weed.
  • Greg Hardy
  • Aldon Smith- at least 6 arrests including domestic violence, making a terroristic threat at LAX, and multiple DWIs.
I’m sure I’ve forgotten some names. How many of these guys were “worth it” and made major contributions to our success, especially in the playoffs? You could possibly argue that Irving and Ro McClain were contributors, but they were so unreliable, you couldn’t count on them being there for long stretches.

So out of that list...maybe two guys...occasionally helped us win. Please don’t say I’m saying we only need “choir boys”. Of course we have and will always have some troubled players. But isn’t there at least some line that can’t be crossed?

Tell me again why this organization keeps doing this stuff? It can’t be because it has worked so well in the past.

Sure..........because its costing them nothing to do it.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

• Ryan Leaf-
  • Tank Johnson
  • Alonzo Spellman
  • Dimitrius Underwood
  • PacMan Jones-
  • Josh Brent-
  • Rolondo McLain
  • David Irving-
  • Greg Hardy

No need for choir boys, good lad, just non-felons, non-addicts and those who respect women.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
well he said it and I remember it well. He was with the bengals and talked about how he stopped getting in trouble. I would find it myself but i am not your research assistant nor do I care if you believe me or not.

Your assertion, your burden of proof. Thanks for showing that no one has any reason to believe you.