How often does a legal reclamation player work out?

bb721

Reaction score
It doesn’t matter how often it happens. If it’s low risk, potential high reward, I’m fine with hoping lightning strikes once in a while. If it doesn’t we’re no worse off.

ArtClink

Reaction score
Did Aldon Smith sleep with your wife or something?
You seem obsessed with smearing this guy. It’s kind of strange.

No smearing required. You have read Aldon Smith rap sheet right? My recommendation is for you to let your daughter go out with him since you are not bothered by his "minor" scrapes with the law. Even better, maybe he can date one of the Jones girls. Obsessed with winning is all Haze is concerned with.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Jerry fancies himself as a gambler and a humane purveyor of hard-luck and ex-criminal types. The most recent ones fit that category to a "T." However, if that's what "turns his crank," there's little to nothing we can do but to hope for the best and await the results. Fortunately, they are mostly low-risk and high reward types in nature, so the chances of catastrophic results are minimal. It's, actually, a fairly intriguing trip for those free of hapless worries! o_O

Last edited:

superonyx

Reaction score
No smearing required. You have read Aldon Smith rap sheet right? My recommendation is for you to let your daughter go out with him since you are not bothered by his "minor" scrapes with the law. Even better, maybe he can date one of the Jones girls. Obsessed with winning is all Haze is concerned with.
I only have 3 sons. Seems kind of weird to smear players based on wanting your offspring to lay down with them or not.

I’m familiar with his “rap” sheet. In fact the OP posted another thread already smearing him over that. So this second attempt isn’t about winning.

your defense of his obsession makes you sound as obsessed as he is.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Well....serious question- which players did I leave out that had legal problems and worked out here?
Are you talking about before we signed them or after.

Even in Landry era we had some problem talent.

Is there a risk factor ? Sure. But what’s the investment related to potential return ??

But since you asked . We had Michael Irvin, Erik Williams , Nate Newton to name a few off the top of my head. All problem players. In this era would have been suspended. I’m sure I’m missing some.

The difference is in order to manage problem talent is the right discipline must be in place like with Landry and Jimmy. That’s what we have been missing.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Looking at the history of the Dallas Cowboys under Jerry Jones, there have been more than a few times Jerry rolled the dice on a player who had major legal problems that caused them to either be suspended or even sit out a year (or more) from the NFL.

Before getting into the names of past examples, let’s take Charles Haley And TO off this list. Sure Haley was “troubled” and considered a pain to work with. But he was never banned from the league for an arrest for off field behavior. He was obtained in a trade from the niners in ‘92, and despite being difficult in the locker room at times was a huge reason the Cowboys won those SBs in the 90s. But never compare Charles Haley’s situation or behavior to someone like Aldon Smith.

And Terrell Owens? Sure he eventually became a locker room cancer, but he was not a guy getting arrested and suspended from the league like the guys we’re about to list. Haley and TO we’re difficult but they weren’t guys with a long rap sheet.

So now we can talk about the guys this organization has taken in as “Reclamation projects”. Players who have had major legal or substance problems causing them to miss games due to suspension- some even for a full season or more. Here are some of the names I could remember:
  • Ryan Leaf-
  • Tank Johnson
  • Alonzo Spellman
  • Dimitrius Underwood
  • PacMan Jones-
  • Josh Brent-
  • Rolondo McLain
  • David Irving-
  • Randy Gregory- I actually like this kid and think he still has a chance. He’s tested positive for weed several times but no arrests for DV or other things besides weed.
  • Greg Hardy
  • Aldon Smith- at least 6 arrests including domestic violence, making a terroristic threat at LAX, and multiple DWIs.
I’m sure I’ve forgotten some names. How many of these guys were “worth it” and made major contributions to our success, especially in the playoffs? You could possibly argue that Irving and Ro McClain were contributors, but they were so unreliable, you couldn’t count on them being there for long stretches.

So out of that list...maybe two guys...occasionally helped us win. Please don’t say I’m saying we only need “choir boys”. Of course we have and will always have some troubled players. But isn’t there at least some line that can’t be crossed?

Tell me again why this organization keeps doing this stuff? It can’t be because it has worked so well in the past.

Randy Gregory does not have legal problems and is the only one on your list that required a premium draft pick.

How many on your list cost more than they contributed?

Greg Hardy was very good on the field but Garrett couldn't handle him. He played on a per game pay plan and earned what he got paid.

David Irving was acquired for free and was a good contributor until that last season when he only played 1 or 2 games.

Rolando McClain was good on the initial contract. They gave him another contract but then he retired.

Josh Brent was a minimum cost player.

The Cowboys traded a 4th and 6th for Adam Jones but they got the the 6th and a 5th back because Jones didn't meet the conditions of the trade (i.e. Total cost was swapping a 4th for a 5th).

I don't recall any significant cost for the others on your list.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I don't recall any significant cost for the others on your list.

Wasn't Ryan Leaf more of a tryout than anything else? I don't remember those games but he only started three games for Dallas in Quincy's rookie year.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
like i said i am not your research assistant. He spoke about it. don't believe me i do not care.

You made a claim without any proof. You may not care that no one has any reason to believe you. It still is what it is.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Bob's got a point. Out of all the criminal-level headcase players we've tried to resign, none of them gave us any more than 1 effective season, and every one of them eventually bit us in the *** with their problems. Pac-Man's the only one I can think of who truly turned it around and kept his nose clean, and he didn't do that until he was off the Cowboys.

Fact is, no team even took a look at Aldon Smith for the last 5 years, despite him looking like a Hall of Fame level player on the field. They were that certain he was going to screw up and get suspended again, and the only reason they want to sign him now is that the new CBA personal conduct policy will lower the blowback when it inevitably happens.

The odds of Smith being an effective pass rusher at 31 years old and 5 years out of the league are low - I can't think of any player who's done that. And looking at the troubled players we've brought in in the past, the odds of Smith making the headlines for something stupid and being a pain in our *** is pretty much 100%.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
I don't think Aldon Smith makes the final cut from camp. Add stealing from Jerry to his list of crimes.