Recommended How Romo and Candice told Hawkins about the retirement

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
“So we sat him down to tell him. ‘Hey, come here, bud, we gonna tell you something’. And you try to build up the excitement of the next thing. I’m kind of like, ‘He’s not even going to remember anything’. But Candice is smart about understanding how things can affect him sometimes.

“So we tell him and at first he’s like, ‘Oh, okay, sounds great. Does that mean you’re going to be around more? Oh good, well then you can buy me LEGOs!’

“I’m like, ‘Oh yeah, absolutely, yeah, you’ll get a bunch of LEGOs’. He asks, ‘You can buy them, right?’ I’m like, ‘Yeah I still make money so hopefully we can continue to do that’.

“So he leaves and about 30 seconds to a minute later he comes back and he’s sitting there. He asks us a question. ‘Does that mean you’re not going to play football anymore?’ Candice and I looked at each other, ‘Yeah, that’s kind of what we said’. Did he understand?

“Candice said, ‘Yeah, your daddy’s not going to play, he’s going to talk about it’. So all of a sudden he gets that sad face that kids get. Tears start coming and all of sudden he starts to cry. And as he starts to cry, I’m like, ‘Hey, buddy, its okay. Come here’. So I hold him and stuff. And Candice now is worried and, oh gosh, it’s a big deal.

“All of a sudden, he says ‘I don’t understand why you’re not going to play anymore!’ So we try to explain it. Finally he says, I thought you meant you weren’t going to be able to play football in the backyard with me anymore!

“He was fine about me giving up football, but if I wouldn’t be able to tackle him in the backyard, he was not willing to give that up just yet. So it was kind of funny because it’s like, ‘No, I’m just not playing for the Cowboys anymore’. He’s like, ‘Oh, okay!!’

“Back to LEGOs.”

Full Article Here:
http://www.5pointsblue.com/romos-son-reacts-news-daddy-wont-play-football-anymore/

Virginia-Dave

Reaction score
It has to be bittersweet. He gets to spend more time with his kids, but they'll have very little memory of him playing for the Cowboys. Plus it means he'll never have that post-Super Bowl "bring me my kids" moment. That has to be the dream of every player that has kids, to bring them on to the field after winning it all for the victory hugs. Oh well, hopefully inheriting amazing genes and having a Scrooge McDuck-like vault full of money will help his kids grow up happy. Good luck Romo's!

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I love Romo but his kids have some stupid names. Come on Antonio, respect your culture.

WinnipegBoy22

Reaction score
I really wanted to see him play. It would have been fascinating this year.

But with soon-to-be three kids under the age of 6, it's hard to argue with this decision.
We had 3 under the age of 2, i would love to have retired. You're right hard to argue his decision.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Awesome story. Just from the few videos and stories, you can really tell that Tony is a great dad.

And that is such a typical interaction haha. Definitely keeps things in the proper perspective, I bet.

Gonna miss seeing #9 on that field though. In some ways it seems like yesterday that Bledsoe threw that pick, and we see the kid trotting onto the field in the second half.... And throws a pick, himself!

Awesome memories and an awesome dude.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
That's a really heart warming story that is so very typical of a little guy his age. I'm sure Hawkins will get to see plenty of playbacks of games that Daddy Romo played in during the years ahead. That being the case, he surely won't forget about his dad's career. I imagine that he's going to have a great life ahead of him with the outstanding parents that he'll have at home. What a lucky little kid!

Last edited:

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
shattered-heart-v1.png

Bigdog

Reaction score
Kids are the ultimate cure all sometimes. I know my is. Good luck Tony.
Yes they are. No matter how bad of day I have there is nothing like coming home and seeing your children so happy to see you with their smile on their faces. I remember when the Yankees blew the 3 game lead in ALCS to Boston and I came downstairs after about the 4th inning where the Yankees were getting killed in game 7. My 3 year old said game over dad? I replied might as well be. The Yanks are getting killed. She came over and gave me big hug and said I still love you.