Video: How the Cowboys dynasty lived and died at the hands of Jerry Jones

LittleD

Reaction score
Jerry spent his money to buy the team. He built a wonderful stadium for himself. He's built a city in Frisco. Oh, and his team is the most valuable
franchise in sports. Jerry is not worrying about football when he has so many billions to count.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry wants to win. He spends the money. In fact, he overspends most of time. In my opinion, he wants to win so badly, he just isn't good at it.
I think Jerry wants to win. But not bad enough to stop doing the things that have lead to 24 straight years without even a divisional playoff win. He doesn’t want to win bad enough.

Let me ask a serious question- Is Jason Garrett the BEST head coach we could hire to help us win another championship? With no cap on coaches’ salaries, Garrett is the best HC we could hire? If Jerry believes that, IMO he doesn’t want to win bad enough.

Red Dragon

Reaction score
Such a false narrative that Jerry doesn't care about winning.

Agree. People who push this narrative are nonsensical. If Jerry cares about money, then guess what earns the most money? Wins. Championships.

If the Cowboys hadn't won those Super Bowls, that $140 million investment in 1989 wouldn't be worth the $4 billion today.

The idea that Jerry wants only $$$ and not wins is contradictory.

erod

Reaction score
Agree. People who push this narrative are nonsensical. If Jerry cares about money, then guess what earns the most money? Wins. Championships.

If the Cowboys hadn't won those Super Bowls, that $140 million investment in 1989 wouldn't be worth the $4 billion today.

The idea that Jerry wants only $$$ and not wins is contradictory.
If he truly cared, he wouldn't be the GM.

Sure he cares, as long as they win EXACTLY his way. He's not about to let some big-name coach or other GM take credit. He already won that way. He'd rather lose every year than that.

stowle07

Reaction score
Tell me how many other NFL teams would hire Jason Garrett as their headcoach if they cared about winning and how many NFL teams would hire Jerry Jones as their GM?

I'm no fan of Jason Garrett but if he were to leave or even if he were fired, he would have a new job instantly in the NFL. Some people forget how awful some of the other coaches in the league are.

Garrett is very mediocre, but there are wayyy worse options out there.

ArtClink

Reaction score
Such a false narrative that Jerry doesn't care about winning.

Jerry cares about winning, but its a lower priority than feeling comfortable w the head coach (no hc legends need apply), hiring friends with no winning track record to fill out coaching positions (looking at you Kellen Moore), and being in charge of everything (elite owners delegate to elite coaches).

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
All will be good as long as Jerry continues to fade into the background with Stephen continuing to get more and more power.

Now days, Dallas is the best drafting team in the league. They have the second most wins the past three seasons, and their salary cap is in great shape and they are ready to sign all of their home grown players that they’ve drafted.

This isn’t the 1996-2009 Cowboys anymore.

ClintDagger

Reaction score
Jerry wants to win very badly. But the thing is he wants to feel like he led the team to a title. And that means as owner, GM, and someone who is even contributing in coaches’ meetings. If he lets go and allows someone else be the architect it will be empty to him. It’s not about the Cowboys winning a championship, it’s about Jerry Jones winning a championship. He’ll never live down Jimmy being seen as the real architect in ‘92, ‘93, and even ‘95.

Red Dragon

Reaction score
Jerry is an old man and has very finite time remaining in life. I think he is nearing, or at, the point where he'd be perfectly happy to see someone else architect the Cowboys to a Super Bowl title as long as Jerry is still technically the owner.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry cares about winning, but its a lower priority than feeling comfortable w the head coach (no hc legends need apply), hiring friends with no winning track record to fill out coaching positions (looking at you Kellen Moore), and being in charge of everything (elite owners delegate to elite coaches).
Amen. Good leaders are not afraid to hire people smarter than themselves. I’ve been amazed for years how insecure Jerry is for a billionaire. He could probably hire a HC infinitely more talented than Garrett and he could have long ago delegated the GM duties to someone more qualified and knowledgeable. The fact that he does none of those things says all we need to know about how bad Jerry wants to win.