CFZ How the Cowboys need to improve to contend

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Last night’s win was a perfect example of why teams play 60 minutes to decide the outcome. Going into the 4th qtr, the score was 21-19, and the Cowboys had played 45 minutes of inconsistent football. The bottom fell out for the colts in the 4th with the turnovers.

But a win is a win, and the Cowboys certainly took advantage of the opportunities they had. Kudos to the Cowboys for having the killer instinct late.

As I look at the Cowboys with 5 regular season games left, here are the things I believe this team needs to show some improvement to go into the playoffs strong:
  • Starting games with better offensive execution. This team has a bad habit of starting games poorly on offense. Against the colts, we started with a 3 and out. Two weeks ago against the giants, our first two possessions were punt, turnover. Against GB, we started with a punt on first two possessions. Viking game was the exception. In the playoffs, coming out flat offensively can be deadly as we learned last yr vs niners.
  • Stopping the run. We’ve been vulnerable against the run all this year as well as last year. Our pass rush is top shelf but teams that can run the ball against us are still a problem. It has improved somewhat the last two weeks, but that has been against the giants and colts, not the eagles or niners. I’m still not convinced we have it figured out yet.
  • Reducing penalties. As we saw last year in our lone playoff game, sloppy play kills you in the playoffs. Through 12 games, we are currently the second most penalized team in the NFL behind the 3-9 broncos, with 86 penalties, averaging over 7 penalties per game. Compare that to KC who has 52 penalties through 12 games. We were better against the colts but we still are committing stupid penalties right and left.
  • Having a chip on their shoulders. I wish this team had a bigger chip- a killer instinct that says, “We’re going to smash you in the mouth for 60 minutes.” This team still sleep walks at times and to me too often take whole possessions off on both sides of the ball. If you want to win in the playoffs, you have to want it more than your opponent.
I’m not knocking the Cowboys for being 9-3. They have proven to be better than I thought they were after that colossal egg we laid on opening night. But as we saw last January, the playoffs require a different gear. And if we want to change the story of the last 27 years, these guys need to get even tougher and more committed. And they can- hopefully they will.

75boyz

Reaction score
Yep, to all of your above Bob. The joke surrounding this team this year is that it is consistently inconsistent.
Lapses from stellar performance to being totally inept in any of the 3 phases of football seems to be the constant theme.

So my answer for them is consistency is key.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep, to all of your above Bob. The joke surrounding this team this year is that it is consistently inconsistent.
Lapses from stellar performance to being totally inept in any of the 3 phases of football seems to be the constant theme.

So my answer for them is consistency is key.
Agree 100%. Consistency is the habit of a champion. Unless it’s consistently bad, lol.

Aven8

Reaction score
The biggest thing we need to do is start fast. It has been our downfall for years in the playoffs. When Rogers came here we got down early and than made a furious comeback late only for Cooks to catch that pass on the sideline. Same thing happened last year with SF we finally woke up and it was too late. Playoff football has to be played that way.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Last night’s win was a perfect example of why teams play 60 minutes to decide the outcome. Going into the 4th qtr, the score was 21-19, and the Cowboys had played 45 minutes of inconsistent football. The bottom fell out for the colts in the 4th with the turnovers.

But a win is a win, and the Cowboys certainly took advantage of the opportunities they had. Kudos to the Cowboys for having the killer instinct late.

As I look at the Cowboys with 5 regular season games left, here are the things I believe this team needs to show some improvement to go into the playoffs strong:
  • Starting games with better offensive execution. This team has a bad habit of starting games poorly on offense. Against the colts, we started with a 3 and out. Two weeks ago against the giants, our first two possessions were punt, turnover. Against GB, we started with a punt on first two possessions. Viking game was the exception. In the playoffs, coming out flat offensively can be deadly as we learned last yr vs niners.
  • Stopping the run. We’ve been vulnerable against the run all this year as well as last year. Our pass rush is top shelf but teams that can run the ball against us are still a problem. It has improved somewhat the last two weeks, but that has been against the giants and colts, not the eagles or niners. I’m still not convinced we have it figured out yet.
  • Reducing penalties. As we saw last year in our lone playoff game, sloppy play kills you in the playoffs. Through 12 games, we are currently the second most penalized team in the NFL behind the 3-9 broncos, with 86 penalties, averaging over 7 penalties per game. Compare that to KC who has 52 penalties through 12 games. We were better against the colts but we still are committing stupid penalties right and left.
  • Having a chip on their shoulders. I wish this team had a bigger chip- a killer instinct that says, “We’re going to smash you in the mouth for 60 minutes.” This team still sleep walks at times and to me too often take whole possessions off on both sides of the ball. If you want to win in the playoffs, you have to want it more than your opponent.
I’m not knocking the Cowboys for being 9-3. They have proven to be better than I thought they were after that colossal egg we laid on opening night. But as we saw last January, the playoffs require a different gear. And if we want to change the story of the last 27 years, these guys need to get even tougher and more committed. And they can- hopefully they will.
stated out the bears game 28-7 so it can happen.
MN not the only exception

Games like this happen took the eagles all 6o to squeak out a 17-16 win over these colts, we see dog fights from alleged lopsided matchups all the time. each game is one off.im not worried about how were start its who you close game and weve done that well most games.

Its the CB position im worried about right now.

DenCWBY

Reaction score

On point as always Bob. So many get caught up in stats and records and forget the playoffs is a whole other mindset. Our schedule is not doing us any favors to really know what it takes to win in January.

nobody

Reaction score
Bullet, yeah I'm not seeing a playoff winning team. Dallas is either playing down to their opponents or they just don't have a killer instinct from jump

3 and outs won't win you playoff games, or falling behind to good teams.

I think the coaches are failing to get them focused at the start of games....and part of that might be Jerry's culture. I also think that Kellen Moore often calls a terrible first couple of series that are very predictable.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
Well said, Bob, and I 100% agree.

It's the early playcalling that is atrocious. After watching film on the opponent all week, the Cowboys still come out and do a very predictable run on 1st down, then a very predictable PA pass or run on 2nd down, and then a very predictable play on 3rd down. There's no creativity, no initial plan to exploit the other team's weakness, just vanilla playcalling that most defenses shut down because THEY KNOW IT'S COMING.

So I fault Kellen Moore for not getting more creative in the 1st quarter, especially on the first drive. This dates back to Garrett, so many slow starts.

And yes, still too many penalties, and still have a hard time slowing down the run, especially in a close game when they can't just rush the passer every play.

This team just lacks urgency. And I have to fault the coaching staff AND Dak.

This just doesn't look like a team that can win a playoff game on the road, not starting every game like this...and then thinking they can "turn it on" later. Nope. Against a good team in the playoffs, they'll just stumble along all game, and then they'll get anxious and start committing penalties, and then the sky will fall once they can't stop the run. Many of us see it coming, because we've seen it time and time again. This team "feels" no different.

visionary

Reaction score
Agree Bob

Early offensive execution (pun intended) and run defense are huge gaps however now we need to shore up CB play as well due to injuries

Diehardblues

Reaction score
What usually kills this offense is slow starts and getting behind . Then we have to abandon the run. And opponents can run the ball instead of needing to pass to come back.

And slow starts have been a killer in our recent playoff games . Good news is we have best defense in many years and hopefully can either win it for us or keep us closer if we start slow.

And will need our QB to have his best games on the biggest stages. If we do all of this then we should make our deepest run this era.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This team can win the Super Bowl if Dak and the secondary can hold up. Our two biggest weaknesses right there. Our run D looks good lately.
They looked good last night because they knew Indy had to run the ball and has the “sitting duck QB” in the league.

QB’s like Brady and Ryan are dinosaurs in the NFL.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
The biggest thing we need to do is start fast. It has been our downfall for years in the playoffs. When Rogers came here we got down early and than made a furious comeback late only for Cooks to catch that pass on the sideline. Same thing happened last year with SF we finally woke up and it was too late. Playoff football has to be played that way.
We need to run from the start, this game (and the 49ers game to some extent), shows how defenses will tire in the fourth. Someone has to stop Moore calling passing plays.