1. Read the latest Dallas Cowboys news ..

How Tom Brady is like Muhammad Ali

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Bobhaze, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Bobhaze

Bobhaze Well-Known Member

6,748 Messages
    21,003 Likes Received
    The greatest boxer of all time has to be Muhammad Ali. The self proclaimed “greatest” was the absolute GOAT in boxing. I won’t waste time here discussing his resume. But sadly, Ali continued to box long after his great left jab had left him. At the end of his career he was the saddest thing to watch in boxing.

Tom Brady with his 6 SB rings and innumerable playoff wins and other impressive records has to be the GOAT at QB. Like Ali, he’s earned incredible respect. He’s the best to ever play QB. But he’s almost 43.

And sadly like Muhammad Ali, Tom Brady doesn’t know when it’s over. He’s the GOAT but he’s no longer “the greatest” QB currently playing. Brady can add his name to the many great athletes over the years who don’t know when their greatness has ended. Like Michael Jordan, who played into his 40s. Like Johnny Unitas and Joe Namath who ended their HOF careers in cringe worthy fashion.

Brady should wise up and just retire. Few athletes are as wise as Jim Brown, Barry Sanders or Megatron. All great and all went out at their peak. All the Tom Brady to Dallas talk IMO is a sad joke. The future of the Dallas Cowboys should not be vested in the formerly great but now noodle armed Tom Brady. All this talk is nothing more than negotiating fodder for Dak and Brady.

LittleBoyBlue and ksadler1 like this.
  2. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

51,757 Messages
    49,274 Likes Received
    Should be interesting to see how Brady does next year compared to the Cowboys and Dak.

Daks young and he’s already bottling seasons with a very talented roster.

3. John813

John813 Well-Known Member

14,616 Messages
    19,632 Likes Received
    Be weird to see him outside of a Pats uniform. I think he's just doing this to get a feel of courting/FA and a message to the Pats that he needs more help outside of a small receiver that jumps on Mercedes.

4. Bobhaze

6,748 Messages
    21,003 Likes Received
    I wouldn’t be shocked if no one signs him.

5. John813

John813 Well-Known Member

14,616 Messages
    19,632 Likes Received
    I would. Although I assume his list of teams he would consider is small.

If that Tennesse house shopping rumor had legs I could of seen him thinking about the Titans.

Great run game, line is very good, talent on the outside is young but decent. Good defense and knows the HC well.

While his arm is 42 years old, I would take him over Tannehill for a short term stretch.

Think he re-signs in NE and they draft a guy high. Maybe a faller like Fromm

6. Reverend Conehead

Reverend Conehead Well-Known Member

6,336 Messages
    7,046 Likes Received
    Sounds like you're old enough to remember Namath hobbling around in a Rams uniform. It was totally sad. He hung on too long, and that's what Brady's doing now.

Bobhaze likes this.
  7. Future

Future Intramural Legend

24,741 Messages
    11,506 Likes Received
    He is nothing like Ali. Muhammad Ali transcended sports and is one of the most important icons of equality in American history. Tom Brady is a capitalist.

There are 500 other athletes who have held on too long. Comparing the two is an insult to Ali.

8. Bobhaze

6,748 Messages
    21,003 Likes Received
    I certainly agree that Ali had a much bigger impact on sports and the world than Brady. Come on man, No disrespect intended for Ali. Just saying Ali boxed too long and if Brady keeps playing he will be playing too long.

Buzzbait and Reverend Conehead like this.
  9. cowboygo

cowboygo Well-Known Member

626 Messages
    822 Likes Received
    Would a 2018 Dak led Patriots beat a 2018 Dak led Cowboys? The answer to the question says a lot about what talent really is, and what coaching is as well.

10. ClappingCarrot

ClappingCarrot Well-Known Member

3,756 Messages
    10,589 Likes Received
    Ali was a transcendent, iconic figure in sports. This is like comparing Derek Jeter, who won 5 rings, to Jackie Robinson.

dogunwo and Doomsday like this.
  11. OmerV

OmerV Well-Known Member

20,338 Messages
    16,911 Likes Received
    I certainly don't think anyone will sign him to a long term deal with big guaranteed money.

12. eromeopolk

eromeopolk Well-Known Member

1,924 Messages
    2,100 Likes Received
    This comparison is totally absurd.

Tom Brady never represented his country vs. the world when his country did not consider him a full citizen and won Olympic Gold for his country. Tom Brady never went one on one and defeated the scariest puncher in boxing becoming the youngest heavyweight boxing champion. Tom Brady never stood on moral and religious principles of right to call an unjust war unjust. Tom Brady (who actually cheated) never had his title, livelihood, and status stripped because he stood against unjust power. Tom Brady did not have the prime of his athletic career taken away unjustly as a conscientious objector to war. Tom Brady never had to overcome losing what was call the "fight of the century" and still have the fortitude to continue to win and lose, win and lose, and win and lose proving he was what he said..."The Greatest of All Time".

Tom Brady never took the time out of his schedule to talked a man from off the ledge of a building keeping him from committing suicide. Tom Brady never showed the resolution to change when he was wrong to change to what was right and then promote that change. Tom Brady never went to a dictator and negotiated the release of American hostages. Tom Brady has not been world recognized as the Greatest of All time as an athlete, leader, humanitarian, symbol for peace, truth, and righteousness in every country of the world.

Therefore, I see absolutely no comparison between Tom Brady and Muhammad Ali. Therefore, there is no need for a discussion of who and for whom the term G.O.A.T was originated and used.

13. OmerV

OmerV Well-Known Member

20,338 Messages
    16,911 Likes Received
    You are reading way too much into this. The OP was only making the comparison of a great athlete hanging on too long.

Vandyr, Buzzbait, sean10mm and 4 others like this.
  14. Reverend Conehead

Reverend Conehead Well-Known Member

6,336 Messages
    7,046 Likes Received
    I don't think he insulted Muhammad Ali. He was only talking about hanging on too long and was not comparing how big an impact he had on the sport. For that, it would make more sense to compare Ali to maybe Johnny Unitas or Roger Staubach, or maybe Otto Graham. Ali was a trailblazer for sure, but it doesn't mean he didn't hang on too long.

Buzzbait likes this.
  15. Future

Future Intramural Legend

24,741 Messages
    11,506 Likes Received
    Yea lol. That's fair. I worded that poorly probably.

I just meant that they aren't the same class of athlete so I don't love the comparison, even though I get your point.

Bobhaze likes this.
  16. kskboys

kskboys Well-Known Member

21,758 Messages
    24,077 Likes Received
    I have one problem w/ what you said. Brady is not the hands down goat. He is tied w/ Montana, Graham, Starr, and Unitas. No way to compare, no way to put one ahead of the others.

Bobhaze likes this.
  17. Bobhaze

6,748 Messages
    21,003 Likes Received
    Don’t disagree. I feel like judging QBs will always be subjective. My tip of the cap to Brady is more because of his ability to play best in the biggest of games. But the guys you mentioned are certainly in that discussion too.

18. kskboys

kskboys Well-Known Member

21,758 Messages
    24,077 Likes Received
    Otto Graham won 7 championships. Starr also won 6 or 7, several before it was called the super bowl.

Montana played better than Brady did in big games, and would've lasted much longer if he hadn't been in the league when defenders beat up the QB regularly.

Brady is tied for GOAT w/ 4 other guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bobhaze and 65fastback2plus2 like this.
  19. 65fastback2plus2

65fastback2plus2 Well-Known Member

6,576 Messages
    6,282 Likes Received
    I would...Elway has probably already been on the phone.

20. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member

49,359 Messages
    36,805 Likes Received
    Brady is probably more comparable to Michael Jordan, though not exactly, obviously.
    Team sport,
    6 titles with the same team, one of if the best ever to play his sport