How will the coaches fix the run game (if possible)? It's bad

EJK24

Reaction score
Well....I know what I would do......@least on first down

LDE- Gohlston
DT-Osa
NT-Mazi
RDE-Kneeland

On first down....we are too small on the edges.....and are getting fooled on stupid playaction roll outs. Have our defensive ends..stay home...keep containment.

Depending on down and distance....anything over 7 yards.....I'm blitzing.....and bringing in our speed package

LDE-Parsons
DT- Kneeland
NT-Osa
RDE-D-law
I'm pretty sure he means what can we do to run the ball and have some semblance of a rushing attack..stopping it is also an issue though.

plasticman

Reaction score
The number that I think is most important when discussing run defense is average yards per carry, especially on first down.

Under McCarthy, the Cowboys appear to have a history of starting out with a porous run defense. At this same point last season, the Cowboys defense allowed 5.3 yards a carry. So far, this season, they are averaging 5.4 yards a carry.

Both the 2020 and 2021 seasons started out with the defense giving up more rushing yards after three games.

The other two teams rounding out the bottom five for rushing yards allowed are the 2009 and 2016 seasons, two of the better years in recent history.

Please notice I said the Cowboys run defense appear to be weak early in the season. That's the thing about statistics. We don't always remember specific circumstances that may have contributed to certain numbers. Could it be that the Cowboys were so far ahead in some games that garbage time runs wasn't a priority?

In most cases, history shows that the run defense improved as the season progressed. This usually isn't the result of a new acquisition through trade. It certainly isn't a retired player coming back and setting the world on fire.

It's pretty simple, the players have to learn the new defense under Zimmer and the defensive coaches have to teach.

Finally, there is one other, more silent issue. That would be the departure of Aden Durde and Joe Whitt, two excellent defensive assistant coaches. Durde was the Cowboys defensive line coach and current DC for the Seahawks. Whitt was the secondary coach who followed Quinn to Washington and is their DC.

Blackrain

Reaction score
There is no fixing the run game in season. They completely blew it offseason and all the world predicted it just like all the world predicted we wouldn’t be able to stop the run.
Absolutely spot on post

No more really needs to be said it's over and done with till the end of the season.

BHendri5

Reaction score
It's not as bad it looks or seems, it really never has been it has always came down to the players staying true to their assignments for the most part and the other part is that they were actually over powered by the opponents players,(old adage is they get paid like our players ) majority of the time our players play hero ball and doesn't do their assignments

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
There is no fixing the run game in season. They completely blew it offseason and all the world predicted it just like all the world predicted we wouldn’t be able to stop the run.
It should be the last time anyone uses the "fans don't know football" line ever again, but sadly, they'll keep using it despite proof to the contrary.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Through the first three games, we are 30th in rushing, only ahead of the Bears (31st) and the pitiful Raiders. So far, we have rushed 62 times for a total of 221 yards, a 3.6 ypc. In contrast, Barkley has rushed for 351 yards on 63 carries for 5.5 ypc., and Henry, has rushed for 281 yards on 56 carries for 5.0 ypc. Both have four TD's. Both were available, and we could have at least tried to get one of them.

While we don't have Philly's o-line, our line isn't bad. Why can't our coaches scheme like other coaches and get our RBBC into some open space? Surely our talent isn't so deficient that we can't do better than 3.6 ypc., right? Maybe?
...listen to what Nate says about why then can run the ball. "They dont run it enough in games". They cant harmonize together
It could be fixed, but again MM has no clue how to utilize the talent that we actually do have at RB.
Could we see Deuce in an actual will executed screen play?
Would that be too much to ask, putting a handsy speedster in some space?

kskboys

Reaction score
The number that I think is most important when discussing run defense is average yards per carry, especially on first down.

Under McCarthy, the Cowboys appear to have a history of starting out with a porous run defense. At this same point last season, the Cowboys defense allowed 5.3 yards a carry. So far, this season, they are averaging 5.4 yards a carry.

Both the 2020 and 2021 seasons started out with the defense giving up more rushing yards after three games.

The other two teams rounding out the bottom five for rushing yards allowed are the 2009 and 2016 seasons, two of the better years in recent history.

Please notice I said the Cowboys run defense appear to be weak early in the season. That's the thing about statistics. We don't always remember specific circumstances that may have contributed to certain numbers. Could it be that the Cowboys were so far ahead in some games that garbage time runs wasn't a priority?

In most cases, history shows that the run defense improved as the season progressed. This usually isn't the result of a new acquisition through trade. It certainly isn't a retired player coming back and setting the world on fire.

It's pretty simple, the players have to learn the new defense under Zimmer and the defensive coaches have to teach.

Finally, there is one other, more silent issue. That would be the departure of Aden Durde and Joe Whitt, two excellent defensive assistant coaches. Durde was the Cowboys defensive line coach and current DC for the Seahawks. Whitt was the secondary coach who followed Quinn to Washington and is their DC.
2016: Terrell McClain. Quality NT. Also had Irving. Thing is, we were absolutely awful against the pass(26th) so there was no reason to run against us.

LysleE

Reaction score
Don’t know that it can be fixed this season: the offensive line has been revamped with two rookies with no improved depth; and the run game itself has been ineffective given the lack of a feature RB…Zeke and Cook are nowhere near the players they once were.
Lastly, Jerry himself says that RB is not a position of need, so it appears that issue won’t be addressed in the near future.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
I don’t see them fixing the running game at a macro level. The scheme, the personnel, the playcalling etc… all are working against it.

Can they do better marginally than what we have seen? Yes. I think we will see some games where we can establish more consistency in the ground game— but anytime we face a decent D— we will be forced into the same one dimensional production that we have seen become a pattern.

It is maddening to watch JJ and Fam run this once proud franchise into the ground. All we can do is watch the Titanic sink (again)

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
They need to stick with one guy ....... every time one of our RB's gets 5-11 yards ...... they take him out to "give him a breather"

That is not how playing RB works.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
I liked what romo and Marion barber used to do wherein it was a series of shotgun and delayed option handoffs . It spread things out and eliminated a lot of the cluster up front

If deuce is gonna have any success he needs something liek that . And maybe let hunter be the 2nd tightt end

krs1bro

Reaction score
Without a running game I would implore the dink a dunk passing game sprinkled with enough intermediate and deep passes. The offense has to keep DC's defense off the field as long as possible. Zim gets out schemed to the point of embarrassment. Put Mazi on IR or the bench and just start trying out DT's daily to see if they hit on something other than the garbage on current roster. GM JJ should know this, right? Der.... don't think so.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Draft D next draft, immediately and often.
we need to draft a RB within the 1st three rounds next year. Id go Dline, RB, Dline. We need some damb beef up front. We are and have been getting gashed up front for years now. While we sure can draft DBs, we cant draft Tackles worth s crap.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
They won’t…it’s a coaching issue combined with a talent issue. Neither one can be fixed atm.
coaching issue....lol. Cmon.. Zimmer and Mac hav ebeen in the league for 50 years or o combined. I dont want to hear about coaching. coaching is not the problem.

jujoboys

Reaction score
You play to your strengths. Use the passing game to set up the run. McCarthy is trying to establish the running game first so the other team can just load up in the box and shut down our JAG RBs. Running on 1st down constantly is just a waste of time because we don’t have RBs that are a threat. Come out aggressively passing and force teams to move their safeties back and then hit them with a run. This RB by committee is working out about as good as the time they decided that WR by committee was a good idea.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
The other team knows what our run plays are.

our offense is basic.

A Gap blast

WR End around

so simple.