How Will the Passing Tree Routes Change?

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Hopefully it means fewer routes where WRs stop and fewer out routes just short or at the sticks.
One of the big improvements under Moore was that 3rd-down passes were usually targeted beyond the line of gain.

3rd-Down target depth past line of gain

2018 -1.0 yards (34th)
2019 +2.1 yards (11th)

Some of that was due to improved pass protection over 2018, but even in previous seasons, Dak had never ranked above 20th.

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
McCarthy might do well to work diligently with Dak on his slants and crossing routes. Seems as though such routes were among his weaknesses with us. That should prove interesting. Hopefully, he'll learn to effectively hit them in stride. It's much about timing and anticipation. MM is reputedly good about working with his QBs on such things, though. I'm fairly optimistic it'll all be worked out but we'll see. ;)

Agree with this as far as Dak's accuracy on slants and crossing routes. Strangely he does pretty well on his outs and sideline routes (accuracy). Seems those routes with the receiver slashing over the middle he frequently throws behind his guy.

GenoT

Reaction score
If anyone here had a clue, they’d currently be on an NFL coaching staff.

:muttley::laugh:

FanSince71

Reaction score
Yea he flat out said we were running the West Coast offense.

That’s not how I read it, but there’s been so much info the past several days that I suppose I could’ve interpreted it wrong or maybe jumbled some different reports together.

I know I can’t post an entire article from The Athletic, but Jon Machota had an article about what will likely change and what will likely be similar. This excerpt is from the similar section:

2.) Overall offensive scheme. McCarthy said Thursday that the goal is for Moore to continue calling plays. If there was going to be a significant switch over to the West Coast offense that McCarthy had been using, the head coach would continue calling the plays like he did for almost his entire time in Green Bay. But McCarthy said what Prescott has done in Dallas’ offense is so important that he will adjust to the language the Cowboys have been using.”

Glean from that what you will...

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Agree with this as far as Dak's accuracy on slants and crossing routes. Strangely he does pretty well on his outs and sideline routes (accuracy). Seems those routes with the receiver slashing over the middle he frequently throws behind his guy.

Yep -- that's exactly what I had in mind as something that occasionally gives him problems. Sometimes, he'll tend to throw behind his receiver. It takes repetition and lots of it, to develop the proper rapport in a QB's timing and anticipation with each individual receiver being targeted. They all differ in speed and their preference as to ball location.

Last edited:

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Garrett's system is about timing and reads. The WR and the QB have to see the same thing and do what they are supposed to do and the QB has to be able to get the ball out on time to a spot. The WCO is more about hitting moving targets, use misdirection to get the D going one way and then hit a moving target going against the grain. Dak is not a good fit for either system though. He showed some improvement with his anticipation throws though last year so that is a positive. He still struggles with his accuracy though. And don't give me his completion rate nonsense either. There were a lot of balls caught last year that were not accurate passes, especially with moving targets, in the WCO, the ball being in front is what is needed, a ball on the back hip or high and wide, is not going to do much good, even if it is caught.

It will be interesting to see how they incorporate what Dak does do well. He is really good when he only has to get the ball and throw it, which is sorta the WCO offense so that helps, but he needs to hit the WR/TE/RB in stride, a 3 yard crosser thrown accurately can go for 15, a 3 yard crosses thrown behind goes for 3, both count as a completion though. He is also good at throwing on the move, so that should be a staple as well.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
That’s not how I read it, but there’s been so much info the past several days that I suppose I could’ve interpreted it wrong or maybe jumbled some different reports together.

I know I can’t post an entire article from The Athletic, but Jon Machota had an article about what will likely change and what will likely be similar. This excerpt is from the similar section:

2.) Overall offensive scheme. McCarthy said Thursday that the goal is for Moore to continue calling plays. If there was going to be a significant switch over to the West Coast offense that McCarthy had been using, the head coach would continue calling the plays like he did for almost his entire time in Green Bay. But McCarthy said what Prescott has done in Dallas’ offense is so important that he will adjust to the language the Cowboys have been using.”

Glean from that what you will...
Kellen is calling plays but we are running the West Coast offense.....is that not close to word for word what he said?

Beaker42

Reaction score
Now that all the coaching staff is in place, what will the passing tree routes look like? I see the Bill Walsh West coast offense where the QB 3 step, 5 step, and 7 step drops dictate the timing and distance of receivers (Think Jerry Rice). What do you see?
Nobody here really knows that.

Beaker42

Reaction score
McCarthy might do well to work diligently with Dak on his slants and crossing routes. Seems as though such routes were among his weaknesses with us. That should prove interesting. Hopefully, he'll learn to effectively hit them in stride. It's much about timing and anticipation. MM is reputedly good about working with his QBs on such things, though. I'm fairly optimistic it'll all be worked out but we'll see. ;)
Yes, he should be prepared to work with a 4yr starter on his mechanics and tendency to throw low, high, behind and too far in front of our WR’s.

cern

Reaction score
My expertise is hindsight. Ask me after several games next season.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Now that all the coaching staff is in place, what will the passing tree routes look like? I see the Bill Walsh West coast offense where the QB 3 step, 5 step, and 7 step drops dictate the timing and distance of receivers (Think Jerry Rice). What do you see?
I see us needing more possession receivers than we have.

Our WRs are not possession receivers.

I am going to mention resigning a guy like Dez to help that. I know that has been discussed profusely already.

But if he has anything left, give him a shot. Big, physical, can beat single coverage, can go up for catches, etc.

Also, the TEs needs to be featured more. In the WCO, passes need to be thrown quickly and routes that are 10-15 yards deep to move chains and maintain possession is essential.

Our defense in 2020 will be hard pressed to stop other teams. The more they are not on the field the better we will be.

So I do not know about route trees per se' but the passing game emphasis will change alot.

Expect less RPO as now we know Dak has shoulder histories and they are not going to risk the injury risk.

That's my take.

:angry:

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Possession receivers still have to run good routes. So no Dez. I can see them drafting a bigger wr though.

I see us needing more possession receivers than we have.

Our WRs are not possession receivers.

I am going to mention resigning a guy like Dez to help that. I know that has been discussed profusely already.

But if he has anything left, give him a shot. Big, physical, can beat single coverage, can go up for catches, etc.

Also, the TEs needs to be featured more. In the WCO, passes need to be thrown quickly and routes that are 10-15 yards deep to move chains and maintain possession is essential.

Our defense in 2020 will be hard pressed to stop other teams. The more they are not on the field the better we will be.

So I do not know about route trees per se' but the passing game emphasis will change alot.

Expect less RPO as now we know Dak has shoulder histories and they are not going to risk the injury risk.

That's my take.

:angry:

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Garrett's system is about timing and reads. The WR and the QB have to see the same thing and do what they are supposed to do and the QB has to be able to get the ball out on time to a spot. The WCO is more about hitting moving targets, use misdirection to get the D going one way and then hit a moving target going against the grain. Dak is not a good fit for either system though. He showed some improvement with his anticipation throws though last year so that is a positive. He still struggles with his accuracy though. And don't give me his completion rate nonsense either. There were a lot of balls caught last year that were not accurate passes, especially with moving targets, in the WCO, the ball being in front is what is needed, a ball on the back hip or high and wide, is not going to do much good, even if it is caught.

It will be interesting to see how they incorporate what Dak does do well. He is really good when he only has to get the ball and throw it, which is sorta the WCO offense so that helps, but he needs to hit the WR/TE/RB in stride, a 3 yard crosser thrown accurately can go for 15, a 3 yard crosses thrown behind goes for 3, both count as a completion though. He is also good at throwing on the move, so that should be a staple as well.
Good points.