CFZ How would you grade this year's FA class?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I was expecting 1 big WR in either fa or the trade market, thought OBJ was the favorite. Wanted both Hankins, Robinson to fortify the NT position and thought they would either resign Lve or sign Bobby Wagner.

What they did:

-Did add a veteran receiver via the trade market in Cooks, but were also able to restructure his deal.
-Lve was resigned, but surprisingly they also were able to keep Donovan Wilson
-Probably the biggest surprise was them adding a legitimate #2 corner in Gilmore
-Just did resign Hankins back, but it doesn't appear Robinson is in play, rather they are going to bring back Watkins
-Cooper Rush was also an important resigning.
-They were able to restructure Tyron Smith Contract based on his availability.
-Smartly they decided to move on from Zeke all together

-Nobody likes to see the tag used for a running back
-Did lose Shultz, McGovern, Brown
-Failed to find a kicker

Have to give the front office an A- grade. They were able to retain their key defensive role players, added a legitimate #2 WR/CB and made some good decisions about veteran contracts. All this and they still have room to do even more, along with Zeke's money coming in June.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I was expecting 1 big WR in either fa or the trade market, thought OBJ was the favorite. Wanted both Hankins, Robinson to fortify the NT position and thought they would either resign Lve or sign Bobby Wagner.

What they did:

-Did add a veteran receiver via the trade market in Cooks, but were also able to restructure his deal.
-Lve was resigned, but surprisingly they also were able to keep Donovan Wilson
-Probably the biggest surprise was them adding a legitimate #2 corner in Gilmore
-Just did resign Hankins back, but it doesn't appear Robinson is in play, rather they are going to bring back Watkins
-Cooper Rush was also an important resigning.
-They were able to restructure Tyron Smith Contract based on his availability.
-Smartly they decided to move on from Zeke all together

-Nobody likes to see the tag used for a running back
-Did lose Shultz, McGovern, Brown
-Failed to find a kicker

Have to give the front office an A- grade. They were able to retain their key defensive role players, added a legitimate #2 WR/CB and made some good decisions about veteran contracts. All this and they still have room to do even more, along with Zeke's money coming in June.
A. This is best team on paper that the Cowboys have had since the 90s. The defense has no weakness. This is before the draft as well.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Nice synopsis.

Kicker and OL are real needs . Always can say OL though even if we have a good starting 5. This game swings on play in the trenches and QB .
The more I hear, the more it's possible that Steele could be more of a backup this yr, cause they don't want to move Tyler away from LT. That tells us, they need a Left Guard starter, draft/fa or within? The #1 fa guard is still on the open market, they can easily fill that need now, but I think they will draft a high guard.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think they are doing fine so far. Nothing real splashy, but nothing stupid either.

I wished they would have done more at the DT position, however there is still time to do so.
So far kept most of their own FA's that they could. Did not lose any FA's that could be considered impact players, but certainly were good depth in some capacity. But those are also the players you expect to lose and can be replaced. It happens to all teams.

I don't think they should have tagged Pollard, he is not worth that much. However, I understand it in a way. As they had to release Zeke to dump the huge cap hit, just as they did with trading Cooper last year, and had to sign Gallup. It was one or the other, same with the RB's, dump the higher paid player.

With Hankins, I think that makes many feel better, or it should from all the posts and threads as usual about the FO. But it also sets them up for BPA in the draft.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
do you think they target Mazi smith ?
No, with the contract Hankins just received, we know how they value the position. My thinking is, either they find a pass rushing DT early on who can play either spot or we are looking again at another late day 3 pick. I am expecting Watkins to be resigned, but still need that one star within the interior. Benton from Wisconsin, Dexter from Florida are better fits then Mazi Smith.

starfan1

Reaction score
No, with the contract Hankins just received, we know how they value the position. My thinking is, either they find a pass rushing DT early on who can play either spot or we are looking again at another late day 3 pick. I am expecting Watkins to be resigned, but still need that one star within the interior. Benton from Wisconsin, Dexter from Florida are better fits then Mazi Smith.
well I hope at least 1 of the first 2 picks address this

Jarntt

Reaction score
-
I'll preface this with saying that I am definitely a fan of Diggs, but am I the only one not assuming Gilmore is going to definitely be our "#2 corner" this year? Why is everyone so sure Diggs will be better in 2023? Future years, sure due to the age difference, but this year is a toss up between the two IMO

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've heard Stephen say that they might be looking for draft a kicker this yr. They did have their special teams coaches at the Maryland pro day yesterday looking at their kicker.
They signed Vizcaino at K. and yes, they said they would not be opposed to drafting a K.
They have time, a lot of time to address this. Many fans get riled up because they don't address every position day 1 of FA.

I will just wait out the very long off season of player / talent acquisition such as a K. And you know the routine on here....whine whine whine about it, then tear it down after they sign a player....

Mr_437

Reaction score
B+
They brought back the entire defense to run it back, plus Gilmore. Defense should be fun to watch this season, especially with Big Hank at NT at the start of the season.

Offense is kinda blah for me, although I think Cooks was a decent pickup. Cutting Zeke was addition by subtraction, and I hope draft a good RB. Lastly, the Cowboys get an A+ for individual signing of QB1.5 Cooper Rush!

NotForLong

Reaction score
I'll preface this with saying that I am definitely a fan of Diggs, but am I the only one not assuming Gilmore is going to definitely be our "#2 corner" this year? Why is everyone so sure Diggs will be better in 2023? Future years, sure due to the age difference, but this year is a toss up between the two IMO
Yes . . . yes you are

bewp7

Reaction score
a+ tbh

they did what u suppose to do with free agency and trade with out over paying and huge long term contract

u obv cant get every need done but they really did do a+ to me and i yell and cry every off season for stuff they do not do