CFZ How would you grade this year's FA class?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I agree with most of both of these posts, but I'm not sure kicker is really a need. Maher did have a really bad game in the playoffs, but he was truly outstanding the rest of the season.

I would say filling in the LG spot with a quality player is a big need. I don't really think Chuma Edoga was signed to be the answer there, but he should be good depth at both OG and OT.
Edoga is definitely a depth signing and more to the level of Farniok. The biggest issue with the OL is: will they start all 3 tackles and what contingency plan will they have in place when Tyron misses time? I was ruling out what Jerry said this week, but starting to believe that might be their real plan. If that is the case drafting a starting LG would be their #1 need.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I was expecting 1 big WR in either fa or the trade market, thought OBJ was the favorite. Wanted both Hankins, Robinson to fortify the NT position and thought they would either resign Lve or sign Bobby Wagner.

What they did:

-Did add a veteran receiver via the trade market in Cooks, but were also able to restructure his deal.
-Lve was resigned, but surprisingly they also were able to keep Donovan Wilson
-Probably the biggest surprise was them adding a legitimate #2 corner in Gilmore
-Just did resign Hankins back, but it doesn't appear Robinson is in play, rather they are going to bring back Watkins
-Cooper Rush was also an important resigning.
-They were able to restructure Tyron Smith Contract based on his availability.
-Smartly they decided to move on from Zeke all together

-Nobody likes to see the tag used for a running back
-Did lose Shultz, McGovern, Brown
-Failed to find a kicker

Have to give the front office an A- grade. They were able to retain their key defensive role players, added a legitimate #2 WR/CB and made some good decisions about veteran contracts. All this and they still have room to do even more, along with Zeke's money coming in June.
SO FAR? 6 months before game 1 and pre-draft way too early post for grades alert, you do realize technically FA last until the trade deadline and beyond, players brought in most of the season. i mean clamoring for SUH and others in December was it they will still there. roster will always be in flux but especially pre-draft.

but ill go B+ on roster building this early. no big holes , Kickers easy to find anytime between now and September (mahers still out there :) ), rather pay a RB 1yr rental at FT then overreact and overpay on LTD, likely pollards as gone as we knew Schultz might be, losing brown is NBD moment as i believe Tolbert, SemiF, or TB can take his place.

Yes only Hole i can see the biggest need is LG of the future , drafted high.. however there are players on the roster like Farinok and Chuma, who could at least be a McGovern type. Id like better but this is 6 months before game 1 pre-draft

so this is still in infancy stages on filling out a Team. TC battles will shake out a lot of the ?marks.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Edoga is definitely a depth signing and more to the level of Farniok. The biggest issue with the OL is: will they start all 3 tackles and what contingency plan will they have in place when Tyron misses time? I was ruling out what Jerry said this week, but starting to believe that might be their real plan. If that is the case drafting a starting LG would be their #1 need.
Where is Mazi expected to go....would he be available if we traded down or even Rd2

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Disappointed? I doubt that. I am making suggestions. The Cowboys will probably draft someone we are not even talking about. I have recently watched Smith, McDonald, Mazi, Avili, Washington and Mayer. All of them would upgrade us day 1. I am about to look at the corners because you and some others really want to go in that direction. I did see Forbes and I really am impressed. He might make it to our pick in the second round because of his weight.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Where is Mazi expected to go....would he be available if we traded down or even Rd2
In the past two drafts, the top 2 down NT's have come off the board in rd 3. Could Mazi go higher? Sure, but that would be a reach for that type of player.

starfan1

Reaction score
Kancey doesn't fit what Quinn likes in his lineman due to lack of length. He is a good prospect where I see him drafted ahead of us, but even if there, don't think they would take him.
i thoguht i seen thatthe cowboys had an interest in him perhaps I was wrong

Cowboyny

Reaction score
SO FAR? 6 months before game 1 and pre-draft way too early post for grades alert, you do realize technically FA last until the trade deadline and beyond, players brought in most of the season. i mean clamoring for SUH and others in December was it they will still there. roster will always be in flux but especially pre-draft.

but ill go B+ on roster building this early. no big holes , Kickers easy to find anytime between now and September (mahers still out there :) ), rather pay a RB 1yr rental at FT then overreact and overpay on LTD, likely pollards as gone as we knew Schultz might be, losing brown is NBD moment as i believe Tolbert, SemiF, or TB can take his place.

Yes only Hole i can see the biggest need is LG of the future , drafted high.. however there are players on the roster like Farinok and Chuma, who could at least be a McGovern type. Id like better but this is 6 months before game 1 pre-draft

so this is still in infancy stages on filling out a Team. TC battles will shake out a lot of the ?marks.
Just talking about fa, where the draft to still to come. Think based on prior years with this front office, think they did a much better job then normal.

BKBDAD

Reaction score
I was expecting 1 big WR in either fa or the trade market, thought OBJ was the favorite. Wanted both Hankins, Robinson to fortify the NT position and thought they would either resign Lve or sign Bobby Wagner.

What they did:

-Did add a veteran receiver via the trade market in Cooks, but were also able to restructure his deal.
-Lve was resigned, but surprisingly they also were able to keep Donovan Wilson
-Probably the biggest surprise was them adding a legitimate #2 corner in Gilmore
-Just did resign Hankins back, but it doesn't appear Robinson is in play, rather they are going to bring back Watkins
-Cooper Rush was also an important resigning.
-They were able to restructure Tyron Smith Contract based on his availability.
-Smartly they decided to move on from Zeke all together

-Nobody likes to see the tag used for a running back
-Did lose Shultz, McGovern, Brown
-Failed to find a kicker

Have to give the front office an A- grade. They were able to retain their key defensive role players, added a legitimate #2 WR/CB and made some good decisions about veteran contracts. All this and they still have room to do even more, along with Zeke's money coming in June.
Compared to the last 10 years, I would give them an A / A- The Cowboys can go into the draft with no real weaknesses and can take the best player available. The Cowboys now need to take a page from the old New England Patriots and if they can move up enough to take Bijan, do it! Can you imagine?? But as he gets to the end of his rookie contract, do it all over again with another hot rookie RB! The Patriots didn't pay WR's or RB's during their SB years!

MTCowboyFan

Reaction score
Generally I am pretty happy with the offseason so far but I hate the tagging of Pollard.

In my opinion, they badly misread the RB market and likely could have brought him back on a long-term deal for much less after he explored the market.

If he signed elsewhere, draft the replacement and roll with the rookie, Malik Davis, R Jones, and Dowdle.

I love the way Pollard plays but he isn't an every down back. I just don't think he can take the punishment and a $ 10M cap hit is too much.

Hope I'm wrong but that money could have been put to better use.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Compared to the last 10 years, I would give them an A / A- The Cowboys can go into the draft with no real weaknesses and can take the best player available. The Cowboys now need to take a page from the old New England Patriots and if they can move up enough to take Bijan, do it! Can you imagine?? But as he gets to the end of his rookie contract, do it all over again with another hot rookie RB! The Patriots didn't pay WR's or RB's during their SB years!
I mentioned a trade up in the draft zone, most may not like it, but could see the team moving up to draft him. He would have to get somewhere close though.

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
I agree with most of both of these posts, but I'm not sure kicker is really a need. Maher did have a really bad game in the playoffs, but he was truly outstanding the rest of the season.

I would say filling in the LG spot with a quality player is a big need. I don't really think Chuma Edoga was signed to be the answer there, but he should be good depth at both OG and OT.
Maher became a mess after The League came out saying the use of foreign objects in placing the ball down for a FG attempt is illegal. (rule 11-4-5) .

I was amazed at Maher during the reg season and his accuracy after his previous stint with us. After Maher missed the four straight extra points vs TB I was in shock (kinda). I think that having consistency in that part of the game is obviously hugely important.

ICP

Reaction score
I still don't understand why people are considering Cook and Gilmore as 'Free Agent' additions. Besides those two Dallas pretty much did what they always do which is resign their own and add a couple of depth pieces.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Just talking about fa, where the draft to still to come. Think based on prior years with this front office, think they did a much better job then normal.
again, FA is all season.

its less 4 weeks into the actual offseason FAS still exist, more cuts coming , more FA added can flex all the way into December. But offseason FA lasts up until final roster cuts and the 53 man roster is announced.

way too soon for grades is what I meant and stand behind it..

its just starting. there's like 4 waves of FA. We are in wave 1, post draft wave 2, post TC wave 3, final cut down is wave 4..

blueblood70

Reaction score
I still don't understand why people are considering Cook and Gilmore as 'Free Agent' additions. Besides those two Dallas pretty much did what they always do which is resign their own and add a couple of depth pieces.
because we feel like it .. why not? you do you realize we have been a winning team for a while, been to the playoffs 4 of the 6 seasons daks been healthy, daks top 5 in wins since 2016, having to add very little to stay at the level of b2b 12-win seasons. A Minor retool is all team that been winning is far different from teams that haven't made the playoff's, won division, or had an above 500 season is a decade or more lit the jets .far more moves are needed. Even Washington , they finished last and making more moves then most of their division. umm of course they are.. they finished last.

we are Better today right now then we were last year going into the season In most opinions.

think is it better to have,

at wr- Lamb first time #1 with Brown at 2 LOL Tolbert at 3 LOL or now Lamb year 2 #1, Gallup healthy, Cooks, and then the rest added later.
At OL- Tyler rookie LT -McGovern forst time L:G starter-and Streele first time RT starter NOW Tyker is now expereinced-New LG- TB at center seems to be vastly improved-Martin-Steele now comfortable at rt
RB- Zeke gone pollard taking over 1 with jones, malik, and Dowdle plus the draft, so younger and faster at rb
NEW OC OLC and MM calling plays.

that why we consider these moves an improvement and very good and we are 4 weeks into the offseason with 6months to go..

does that do not resonate with most of you complainers? Weve been winning and have chance to farther improve.

2019 Garret and the team melts down the back end of the season, he gets fired.9-8
MM hired 2020- c19 lost horrific amounts of Players to injuries; Dak and the OL =lost season, Nolan fired
2021 Quinn hired rebuilt defense, won the division 6-0 in the divisions 12-5 and a playoff berth
2022 12-5 2nd round of playoff's, wasnt happy fired Moore and a lot of other staff people, moved on from zeke, McGovern, maher, gifford and Brown added better players already with more coming

seems to me we are improving under MM and they are still making changes, havent been as complacent with players and staff

Last edited: