CFZ How would you grade this year's FA class?

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Defense still 1 good DT away in my opinion, also need another high-end corner as both Joseph/Wright fails last yr when given the opportunity.
A young buck Mazi in the 1st and one of those South Carolina kids in the second would do the trick. :thumbup: I know I am flip flopping but we really don’t have to get a guard or tight end early.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
A young buck Mazi in the 1st and one of those South Carolina kids in the second would do the trick. :thumbup: I know I am flip flopping but we really don’t have to get a guard or tight end early.
Did you see how much they resigned Hankins for? That should tell you, they aren't drafting Mazi Smith.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
They signed Vizcaino at K. and yes, they said they would not be opposed to drafting a K.
They have time, a lot of time to address this. Many fans get riled up because they don't address every position day 1 of FA.

I will just wait out the very long off season of player / talent acquisition such as a K. And you know the routine on here....whine whine whine about it, then tear it down after they sign a player....
There should be more kickers that come available after camp breaks, but it would make sense to draft one and move forward with one long-term kicker.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I'll preface this with saying that I am definitely a fan of Diggs, but am I the only one not assuming Gilmore is going to definitely be our "#2 corner" this year? Why is everyone so sure Diggs will be better in 2023? Future years, sure due to the age difference, but this year is a toss up between the two IMO
Teams were avoiding Diggs most of last yr, now they have to either throw against him or Gilmore, so we basically have two #1 corners.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
well I hope at least 1 of the first 2 picks address this
That's all our hope, but we also know this team. Must have clear pass rushing ability for them to consider a high pick at the position.

starfan1

Reaction score
That's all our hope, but we also know this team. Must have clear pass rushing ability for them to consider a high pick at the position.
Im thinking the guy from Pittsburgh has that although I think he was much weaker against the run. Hes only 290 i think

Sandyf

Reaction score
Would be a A- so far. Did a very good job trading for two guys that should make a difference on each side of the ball. Resigned the right guys on defense to keep at least the status quo. Still need some quality backups at CB, IOL, and a starting LG.

Imagine that we probably sign one of two more FA in the next two weeks when those left are willing to sign one year deals especially at the vet minimum to try and show there value for 2024. Appears the coaching staff is higher on what the 2nd and 3rd year guys are going to be like than most fans. Quinn appears to believe Clark, Harper and Cox are really going to be much, much better in 2023 and that Sam Williams is going to be a monster in 2023 at DE. He also appears to like the progress of Joseph, Wright and Mukuamu at CB. Like the resign of Hankins but interior DL still could use improvements.

McCarthy is a bit of an enigma to me. Wanted a speed guy at WR and got Cooks. Wants to run the ball more but you really need a high quality LG to make the OL better. Definitely need another RB that can be available if Pollard not ready or slow to get back in game shape.

There will be as always some guys cut after the draft that we could be interested in such as Derrick Henry or Dalvin Cook at RB. Hopkins at WR could be a guy that is also cut after the draft. If any of those are cut then wouldn't mind seeing a couple of them in Dallas at the right price. Much will depend on how we approach the draft and who we draft.

So far so good, BUT IT AIN'T OVER.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Did you see how much they resigned Hankins for? That should tell you, they aren't drafting Mazi Smith.
You said we need a 1 tech. The best one in the draft is Mazi. Don’t sleep on the pass rushing 3 techs either. We really need a push from the middle.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
You said we need a 1 tech. The best one in the draft is Mazi. Don’t sleep on the pass rushing 3 techs either. We really need a push from the middle.
I said we need a DT. Benton, Dexter are more the types they will consider then just a 2 down run player like Mazi.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Im thinking the guy from Pittsburgh has that although I think he was much weaker against the run. Hes only 290 i think
Kancey doesn't fit what Quinn likes in his lineman due to lack of length. He is a good prospect where I see him drafted ahead of us, but even if there, don't think they would take him.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was expecting 1 big WR in either fa or the trade market, thought OBJ was the favorite. Wanted both Hankins, Robinson to fortify the NT position and thought they would either resign Lve or sign Bobby Wagner.

What they did:

-Did add a veteran receiver via the trade market in Cooks, but were also able to restructure his deal.
-Lve was resigned, but surprisingly they also were able to keep Donovan Wilson
-Probably the biggest surprise was them adding a legitimate #2 corner in Gilmore
-Just did resign Hankins back, but it doesn't appear Robinson is in play, rather they are going to bring back Watkins
-Cooper Rush was also an important resigning.
-They were able to restructure Tyron Smith Contract based on his availability.
-Smartly they decided to move on from Zeke all together

-Nobody likes to see the tag used for a running back
-Did lose Shultz, McGovern, Brown
-Failed to find a kicker

Have to give the front office an A- grade. They were able to retain their key defensive role players, added a legitimate #2 WR/CB and made some good decisions about veteran contracts. All this and they still have room to do even more, along with Zeke's money coming in June.
Nice synopsis.

Kicker and OL are real needs . Always can say OL though even if we have a good starting 5. This game swings on play in the trenches and QB .
I agree with most of both of these posts, but I'm not sure kicker is really a need. Maher did have a really bad game in the playoffs, but he was truly outstanding the rest of the season.

I would say filling in the LG spot with a quality player is a big need. I don't really think Chuma Edoga was signed to be the answer there, but he should be good depth at both OG and OT.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
A. This is best team on paper that the Cowboys have had since the 90s. The defense has no weakness. This is before the draft as well.
Yep, A....especially as we can find Zeke and Schultz's replacements in a draft which is deep in both positions, allowing time to grow behind Tony and Fergurshot.
Also like the way that there's CAP available for a trade line deal.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Yep, A....especially as we can find Zeke and Schultz's replacements in a draft which is deep in both positions, allowing time to grow behind Tony and Fergurshot.
Also like the way that there's CAP available for a trade line deal.
They legitimately can draft best available. I think they are going to pick a guard but if a top 15 player falls, look out. :thumbup: