CFZ How would you grade this year's FA class?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
- Trades do not normally include in FA, .. but these are similar to the Robert Quinn type low risk high reward trades .. mere late round draft picks for established plug and play vets

- LB - they are banking on Clark and maybe another LB prospect. Otherwise we will have just decent -serviceable LB impact. No difference maker in LVE and we
dunno what will become of Clark, but an offseason will help.

- i think we will pick up both another TE and another RB (mid round) and expect that RB to be another Mclay- Pollard find. We have two vet RBs on just one year deal.
and the world is besetting Bijah Robinson to the Cowboys at 26th ..(which i think Eagles will pounce him first)
For what it is worth, i don't think Robinson is a "generational " RB. and i don't think he's quite pre-ACL Barkley, but at No.26th, I do agree with selecting him at that spot.

- And that TE will only be picked high if they think he is a blue chipper in the 1st rd, or a well regarded to pass up in the 2nd or 3rd round.
ME: i am not for drafting a TE in early rounds just for us having a new TE - only if he is blue chipper or well regarded ..and there's no Kyle Pitts.in 2023 draft.
Still believe another veteran linebacker might be signed

baltcowboy

Reaction score
No…it couldn’t. Two years in a row and lost essentially the same way to the same team hurts.
The Dak haters would tell you both games was Dak’s fault. I thought the same way until I rewatched both games. The offensive line was destroyed two years ago by San Francisco front seven. The Cowboys replaced Williams and La’El. This year it was the lack of skill players. They got rid of Zeke and brought in Cooks. The line actually played ok but San Francisco’s linebackers took over the game in the second half.

ghst187

Reaction score
B+
They brought back the entire defense to run it back, plus Gilmore. Defense should be fun to watch this season, especially with Big Hank at NT at the start of the season.

Offense is kinda blah for me, although I think Cooks was a decent pickup. Cutting Zeke was addition by subtraction, and I hope draft a good RB. Lastly, the Cowboys get an A+ for individual signing of QB1.5 Cooper Rush!
That’s where I’m at. B+
I was very very pleasantly surprised that they were even active in FA but they definitely also made some very smart moves as I was blown away at what we paid for about all the additions. Gilmore was a steal. Hankins was dirt cheap. I’m surprised but happy we brought Wilson back. I see the glaring mistake as being signing LVE instead of Wagner though. Was worth paying up IMO.
Offense was good, shocked they actually cut Zeke. Kept Pollard and Rush. Thought Cooks was a very shrewd move…got him dirt cheap. Maybe he’s not as big a signing as Hopkins or Odell would’ve been but we gave up hardly anything and even got the Texans to pay half his salary. Hopkins would’ve easily cost us at least a 2nd and Odell would’ve cost double the salary. I don’t know if any OGs that’s would’ve made sense for us as plug in starter so I expect that will be a day 1 or 2 pick. I wish we had made a play for a proven K.
Overall, had added Wagner and a K, I’d be at an A+

fairviewfarmer

Reaction score
I was expecting 1 big WR in either fa or the trade market, thought OBJ was the favorite. Wanted both Hankins, Robinson to fortify the NT position and thought they would either resign Lve or sign Bobby Wagner.

What they did:

-Did add a veteran receiver via the trade market in Cooks, but were also able to restructure his deal.
-Lve was resigned, but surprisingly they also were able to keep Donovan Wilson
-Probably the biggest surprise was them adding a legitimate #2 corner in Gilmore
-Just did resign Hankins back, but it doesn't appear Robinson is in play, rather they are going to bring back Watkins
-Cooper Rush was also an important resigning.
-They were able to restructure Tyron Smith Contract based on his availability.
-Smartly they decided to move on from Zeke all together

-Nobody likes to see the tag used for a running back
-Did lose Shultz, McGovern, Brown
-Failed to find a kicker

Have to give the front office an A- grade. They were able to retain their key defensive role players, added a legitimate #2 WR/CB and made some good decisions about veteran contracts. All this and they still have room to do even more, along with Zeke's money coming in June.
F. Should have Let Pollard and LVE walk.

Mr_437

Reaction score
That’s where I’m at. B+
I was very very pleasantly surprised that they were even active in FA but they definitely also made some very smart moves as I was blown away at what we paid for about all the additions. Gilmore was a steal. Hankins was dirt cheap. I’m surprised but happy we brought Wilson back. I see the glaring mistake as being signing LVE instead of Wagner though. Was worth paying up IMO.
Offense was good, shocked they actually cut Zeke. Kept Pollard and Rush. Thought Cooks was a very shrewd move…got him dirt cheap. Maybe he’s not as big a signing as Hopkins or Odell would’ve been but we gave up hardly anything and even got the Texans to pay half his salary. Hopkins would’ve easily cost us at least a 2nd and Odell would’ve cost double the salary. I don’t know if any OGs that’s would’ve made sense for us as plug in starter so I expect that will be a day 1 or 2 pick. I wish we had made a play for a proven K.
Overall, had added Wagner and a K, I’d be at an A+
Excellent post. That's not bad at all, just missing Wags and a K. LG is certainly getting drafted. For the way the Cowboys go about FA it was a great job by the FO.

stiletto

Reaction score
I kind of feel like they just have done a plug and play. I think Gillmore is an upgrade to Brown and I think adding Cooks put the team back to 2021 when they still had Cooper. The O-line and D-line still have a lot of question marks. Hopefully they have a great draft and don't reach on "bargains" of formerly injured players. Need 2 or 3 guys that will upgrade people, especially in the trenches.

Jarntt

Reaction score
In the past two drafts, the top 2 down NT's have come off the board in rd 3. Could Mazi go higher? Sure, but that would be a reach for that type of player.
Jordan Davis was the top NT last year and went 13 overall

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The Dak haters would tell you both games was Dak’s fault. I thought the same way until I rewatched both games. The offensive line was destroyed two years ago by San Francisco front seven. The Cowboys replaced Williams and La’El. This year it was the lack of skill players. They got rid of Zeke and brought in Cooks. The line actually played ok but San Francisco’s linebackers took over the game in the second half.
I agree man. I get people want to blame Dak but the Cowboys as a whole got outplayed by a better coached team.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Jordan Davis was the top NT last year and went 13 overall
He was an athletic freak and made a little impact yr 1. Travis Jones was the next and he went in rd 3, having a better rookie season

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Easy A for me. They kept two key pieces on defense, and added two quality vets at positions we desperately needed.

Last year's defense was championship caliber IMO. If you can hold Tom Brady to 13 points in the playoffs, and Kyle Shanahan to 19 points, you can win it all. We brought that unit back intact and shored up the positions we needed most.

Jarntt

Reaction score
He was an athletic freak and made a little impact yr 1. Travis Jones was the next and he went in rd 3, having a better rookie season
Actually even On the Eagles DL which was absolutely stacked and even though he was hurt and missed time (only played 13 games) and played for a while at less than 100% he did make an impact. If he was on our team the impact would have been that much bigger. But, regardless, my only point was correcting your error that no NT went until the 3rd round which is how your comment read to me. Going #13 overall is obviously a far cry from 3rd round. if you mean the best NT went in the 3rd round I also totally disagree. But even if you want to portray that, it’s no reason to think that means selecting a NT in the 3rd round this year makes sense because Jones went in the 3rd round last year. Lastly, I’m not suggesting we take a NT in the 3rd round so don’t read my thoughts that way but if the team feels NT is the best value there I also wouldn’t complain

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Actually even On the Eagles DL which was absolutely stacked and even though he was hurt and missed time (only played 13 games) and played for a while at less than 100% he did make an impact. If he was on our team the impact would have been that much bigger. But, regardless, my only point was correcting your error that no NT went until the 3rd round which is how your comment read to me. Going #13 overall is obviously a far cry from 3rd round. if you mean the best NT went in the 3rd round I also totally disagree. But even if you want to portray that, it’s no reason to think that means selecting a NT in the 3rd round this year makes sense because Jones went in the 3rd round last year. Lastly, I’m not suggesting we take a NT in the 3rd round so don’t read my thoughts that way but if the team feels NT is the best value there I also wouldn’t complain
Taking a two down player in round one is a real bad investment. Players who usually go that high can rush the passer like a Vita Vea who is an elite starter. Davis offers zero pass rush abilities

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I'm really surprised there has not been much talk about Benton here at all !
Go to the draft board, he has been discussed. He is more the type that the Cowboys would target as he has 3 down potential with pass rush abilities. Our DL coach went up there to see him at his pro day.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
B so far.

Hank isn't enough at DT to really go far in the playoffs and even if they draft a guy it'll be late rounds and he'll need time to develop.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
I was expecting 1 big WR in either fa or the trade market, thought OBJ was the favorite. Wanted both Hankins, Robinson to fortify the NT position and thought they would either resign Lve or sign Bobby Wagner.

What they did:

-Did add a veteran receiver via the trade market in Cooks, but were also able to restructure his deal.
-Lve was resigned, but surprisingly they also were able to keep Donovan Wilson
-Probably the biggest surprise was them adding a legitimate #2 corner in Gilmore
-Just did resign Hankins back, but it doesn't appear Robinson is in play, rather they are going to bring back Watkins
-Cooper Rush was also an important resigning.
-They were able to restructure Tyron Smith Contract based on his availability.
-Smartly they decided to move on from Zeke all together

-Nobody likes to see the tag used for a running back
-Did lose Shultz, McGovern, Brown
-Failed to find a kicker

Have to give the front office an A- grade. They were able to retain their key defensive role players, added a legitimate #2 WR/CB and made some good decisions about veteran contracts. All this and they still have room to do even more, along with Zeke's money coming in June.
Do Cooks and Gilmore count in the grades? They weren't free agents.