CFZ How would you grade this year's FA class?

ICP

Reaction score
because we feel like it .. why not? you do you realize we have been a winning team for a while, been to the playoffs 4 of the 6 seasons daks been healthy, daks top 5 in wins since 2016, having to add very little to stay at the level of b2b 12-win seasons. A Minor retool is all team that been winning is far different from teams that haven't made the playoff's, won division, or had an above 500 season is a decade or more lit the jets .far more moves are needed. Even Washington , they finished last and making more moves then most of their division. umm of course they are.. they finished last.

we are Better today right now then we were last year going into the season In most opinions.

think is it better to have,

at wr- Lamb first time #1 with Brown at 2 LOL Tolbert at 3 LOL or now Lamb year 2 #1, Gallup healthy, Cooks, and then the rest added later.
At OL- Tyler rookie LT -McGovern forst time L:G starter-and Streele first time RT starter NOW Tyker is now expereinced-New LG- TB at center seems to be vastly improved-Martin-Steele now comfortable at rt
RB- Zeke gone pollard taking over 1 with jones, malik, and Dowdle plus the draft, so younger and faster at rb
NEW OC OLC and MM calling plays.

that why we consider these moves an improvement and very good and we are 4 weeks into the offseason with 6months to go..

does that do not resonate with most of you complainers? Weve been winning and have chance to farther improve.

2019 Garret and the team melts down the back end of the season, he gets fired.9-8
MM hired 2020- c19 lost horrific amounts of Players to injuries; Dak and the OL =lost season, Nolan fired
2021 Quinn hired rebuilt defense, won the division 6-0 in the divisions 12-5 and a playoff berth
2022 12-5 2nd round of playoff's, wasnt happy fired Moore and a lot of other staff people, moved on from zeke, McGovern, maher, gifford and Brown added better players already with more coming

seems to me we are improving under MM and they are still making changes, havent been as complacent with players and staff
Good grief, the Op asked about the FA class, ALL I was saying is that Cook and Gilmore arent 'Technically' Free Agent additions. Do I like that they were added? Yes I do, I also like most of the additions this year with the exception of LVE. Next time you call someone a complainer maybe pull your head out of whatever dark location it might be and actually read what they are saying

blueblood70

Reaction score
Good grief, the Op asked about the FA class, ALL I was saying is that Cook and Gilmore arent 'Technically' Free Agent additions. Do I like that they were added? Yes I do, I also like most of the additions this year with the exception of LVE. Next time you call someone a complainer maybe pull your head out of whatever dark location it might be and actually read what they are saying

most here understand the difference between a FA and a Trade but its still was his intent meaning grade the off season moves ..i stand by my last statement, your reply meant to be a complaint "they do what they always do" meaning not getting big enough names, expensive FA Fans covet...

they all wanted Wagner, Ramseys, Dhop, and a big DT with a prominent name. none were signed, so many are upset. Your reply Implied that for sure. that's what i call a a passive aggressive way of complaining lol
last offseason, all we heard was it was a historically bad offseason, and they went 12-5 and the 2nd round

now its we are over selling how good its been..now im worried LOL

ICP

Reaction score

most here understand the difference between a FA and a Trade but its still was his intent meaning grade the off season moves ..i stand by my last statement, your reply meant to be a complaint "they do what they always do" meaning not getting big enough names, expensive FA Fans covet...

they all wanted Wagner, Ramseys, Dhop, and a big DT with a prominent name. none were signed, so many are upset. Your reply Implied that for sure. that's what i call a a passive aggressive way of complaining lol
last offseason, all we heard was it was a historically bad offseason, and they went 12-5 and the 2nd round

now its we are over selling how good its been..now im worried LOL

That mind-reading ability would come in handy if you actually know what you were talking about. I've wasted enough time on you

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I was expecting 1 big WR in either fa or the trade market, thought OBJ was the favorite. Wanted both Hankins, Robinson to fortify the NT position and thought they would either resign Lve or sign Bobby Wagner.

What they did:

-Did add a veteran receiver via the trade market in Cooks, but were also able to restructure his deal.
-Lve was resigned, but surprisingly they also were able to keep Donovan Wilson
-Probably the biggest surprise was them adding a legitimate #2 corner in Gilmore
-Just did resign Hankins back, but it doesn't appear Robinson is in play, rather they are going to bring back Watkins
-Cooper Rush was also an important resigning.
-They were able to restructure Tyron Smith Contract based on his availability.
-Smartly they decided to move on from Zeke all together

-Nobody likes to see the tag used for a running back
-Did lose Shultz, McGovern, Brown
-Failed to find a kicker

Have to give the front office an A- grade. They were able to retain their key defensive role players, added a legitimate #2 WR/CB and made some good decisions about veteran contracts. All this and they still have room to do even more, along with Zeke's money coming in June.
B+. I think they got very good value in the trades. Gilmore should give us a good season for a 5th and is someone younger CB's can emulate. Cooks should give us a good two years for a 5th and 6th. The Wilson contract was good value. He'll finish it. Im neutral on LVE.

I thought they should have done more in FA, even if they used trades instead. Thats why I dont give it an A.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
B+. I think they got very good value in the trades. Gilmore should give us a good season for a 5th and is someone younger CB's can emulate. Cooks should give us a good two years for a 5th and 6th. The Wilson contract was good value. He'll finish it. Im neutral on LVE.

I thought they should have done more in FA, even if they used trades instead. Thats why I dont give it an A.
My only issue, is I rather them adding more at NT then just Hankins.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
My only issue, is I rather them adding more at NT then just Hankins.
They have mentioned the draft when speaking about adding DT's for the run defense. I dont see that happening in the first two rounds, but round 3 could be a possibility if Benton is there

Cowboyny

Reaction score
They have mentioned the draft when speaking about adding DT's for the run defense. I dont see that happening in the first two rounds, but round 3 could be a possibility if Benton is there
You saw that Hankins contract, I'm a doubter outside of day 3. Benton is also one of my favorites, but I need to see it to believe it!

TheCritic

Reaction score
I agree with the A- grade. But honestly, the whole talent acquisition process is less of a concern than whether Dak can be fixed.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
This is being picky and using literal themselves:

Quality of free agents signed - C
Quality of offseason acquisitions - B
Quality of contracts signed and traded for - A-

DanA

Reaction score
In terms of all the off-season moves
A+
  • Stephon Gilmore: He's a huge upgrade that gives us arguably the best secondary in the league. A fantastic deal
  • Brandon Cooks: He fills a massive hole and has a lot of traits missing in our receiver room. The price was great

B:
  • Donavan Wilson: In a vacuum, it's an A but I've dinged it a little on resource allocation grounds. It's great to add a playmaker but with Kearse/Hooker and playing Mukuamu more there were other areas we could have spent the money.
  • Tony Pollard: The key player on our offense last season that we couldn't afford to lose. We simply couldn't afford to lose him but the price is a little high relative to the market.
  • Jonathan Hankins: We had to address the run game so this was a critical signing. It was the floor of what needed to be done. I would have liked someone closer to the ceiling.
  • Chuma Edoga: It looks like a good deal for a versatile backup

C
  • Leighton Vander Esch: We get our leader back who played solidly. Bobby Wagner hands down would have been the guy I signed and it would have been a B if that wasn't an option. The neck still scares me.
  • Dante Fowler: He had solid production last year and he's a bargain price. I just think 3m spent on a 4th choice DE is a bit of a waste
  • Cooper Rush: It's good to have a backup QB that has won games. 2m is another solid deal
  • Ronald Jones: It gives us coverage at the position. It's not a move I would have done but I don't hate having insurance
  • Rico Dowdle: The price is right and it adds competition. He played a similar role to Noah Brown on special teams so may have a road in that way
  • CJ Goodwin: A good special teams
  • Trent Sieg: No idea

Combined I'd give it an A- Well above what we usually have done (although recent years haven't been terrible). If it's me I would have signed:
  • Dalvin Tomlinson (14.25m to Cleveland)
  • Bobby Wagner (7m to Seatle) instead of LVE
  • If required I would have sacrificed any (or all) of Wilson, Fowler, and Ronald Jones to fit Tomlinson.

blueblood70

Reaction score
That mind-reading ability would come in handy if you actually know what you were talking about. I've wasted enough time on you
but you still replied.,.Irony.. this place is time wasting venture at best. you will fit in fine.. check the ego, its unbecoming.. :muttley: :laugh:

blueblood70

Reaction score
Combined I'd give it an A- Well above what we usually have done (although recent years haven't been terrible). If it's me I would have signed:
  • If required I would have sacrificed any (or all) of Wilson, Fowler, and Ronald Jones to fit Tomlinson.
that's why fans cant be GMS we got 3 for one all whom were and will continue to be important to our team,. I grade that last bullet point an F

also, you do realize Bob wasn't coming here for 7mil that was Seattle hometown discount to finish his career there he would have wanted 2 plus years at 20+ mil total type contract, why do fans not understand how that works sometimes. A player like Wagner looked for money first , when he wasn't being pursued hard enough , he settled to go back and finish it where it started.

Tomlinson might have been a nice idea but sacrificing 2-3 players for him is Again, why a fan can be GM with salary capped league and a roster limit.. Wilson and Fowler were big parts of our D last year. maybe another way to land Tomlinson but im betting they had long meetings discussing these moves and found it best to go the way they did, hopefully the draft can land us a NT/1T of the future. we can hope..

BUT ill trust those actual football minds in meetings of the minds and this is the decision they made for the sake of the team are more correct then fans and their wish lists.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
I was expecting 1 big WR in either fa or the trade market, thought OBJ was the favorite. Wanted both Hankins, Robinson to fortify the NT position and thought they would either resign Lve or sign Bobby Wagner.

What they did:

-Did add a veteran receiver via the trade market in Cooks, but were also able to restructure his deal.
-Lve was resigned, but surprisingly they also were able to keep Donovan Wilson
-Probably the biggest surprise was them adding a legitimate #2 corner in Gilmore
-Just did resign Hankins back, but it doesn't appear Robinson is in play, rather they are going to bring back Watkins
-Cooper Rush was also an important resigning.
-They were able to restructure Tyron Smith Contract based on his availability.
-Smartly they decided to move on from Zeke all together

-Nobody likes to see the tag used for a running back
-Did lose Shultz, McGovern, Brown
-Failed to find a kicker

Have to give the front office an A- grade. They were able to retain their key defensive role players, added a legitimate #2 WR/CB and made some good decisions about veteran contracts. All this and they still have room to do even more, along with Zeke's money coming in June.
this sounds about how i'd see things. they didn't get the big name splash some people measure success by, but they filled needs with quality in their needed roles, kept our backup qb who proved they're certainly worth keeping, and letting zeke go i also think was a solid move.

i loved schulz but we seem to find TE's easily enough.

failing to find a kicker doesn't bother me much. ours did just fine except for one game. im all for bringing competition into camp but im also all for letting him show it was a freak accident / head game he lost. im not ready to write him off yet.

blueblood70

Reaction score
In terms of all the off-season moves
A+
  • Stephon Gilmore: He's a huge upgrade that gives us arguably the best secondary in the league. A fantastic deal
  • Brandon Cooks: He fills a massive hole and has a lot of traits missing in our receiver room. The price was great

B:
  • Donavan Wilson: In a vacuum, it's an A but I've dinged it a little on resource allocation grounds. It's great to add a playmaker but with Kearse/Hooker and playing Mukuamu more there were other areas we could have spent the money.
  • Tony Pollard: The key player on our offense last season that we couldn't afford to lose. We simply couldn't afford to lose him but the price is a little high relative to the market.
  • Jonathan Hankins: We had to address the run game so this was a critical signing. It was the floor of what needed to be done. I would have liked someone closer to the ceiling.
  • Chuma Edoga: It looks like a good deal for a versatile backup

C
  • Leighton Vander Esch: We get our leader back who played solidly. Bobby Wagner hands down would have been the guy I signed and it would have been a B if that wasn't an option. The neck still scares me.
  • Dante Fowler: He had solid production last year and he's a bargain price. I just think 3m spent on a 4th choice DE is a bit of a waste
  • Cooper Rush: It's good to have a backup QB that has won games. 2m is another solid deal
  • Ronald Jones: It gives us coverage at the position. It's not a move I would have done but I don't hate having insurance
  • Rico Dowdle: The price is right and it adds competition. He played a similar role to Noah Brown on special teams so may have a road in that way
  • CJ Goodwin: A good special teams
  • Trent Sieg: No idea

umm fowler as the 3rd choice 30% of the snaps put up Gregory numbers atn3M hes a steal.. depth is very important and rotational guys keep the rest fresh and cover us for injury insurance, Armstrong, tank and Fowler not much difference so they cover each other well..then add Parsons and Sam and that what we need... Yes, Wagner is better then LVE but guaranteed hes not coming here for 7mil that hometown finish up my career as a Seahawk deal.. he would ahve wanted 11 here like the rams gave him. they went with younger and less expensive.
.I would have bene ok with Wagner here over LVE but trust they did it for good reason and DQ had big say and iof he chose LVE over wagner his old LB, must be a reason.

the way DQ uses his box S in wilson and kearse as hybrid LBs they both are good duo down there.. hookers not a box guy and the only true FS we have on the roster that can start.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
this sounds about how i'd see things. they didn't get the big name splash some people measure success by, but they filled needs with quality in their needed roles, kept our backup qb who proved they're certainly worth keeping, and letting zeke go i also think was a solid move.

i loved schulz but we seem to find TE's easily enough.

failing to find a kicker doesn't bother me much. ours did just fine except for one game. im all for bringing competition into camp but im also all for letting him show it was a freak accident / head game he lost. im not ready to write him off yet.
I wonder if they are done, have space and more coming after June 1st

LysleE

Reaction score
It all sounds great on paper, but let’s see how they play within the framework of Dallas’ game plans for a few week before passing judgement.
While the FA signings appear to go a long way in strengthening and providing depth to positions of need…let’s not get ahead of ourselves;
Hoping this year Dallas is able to rise above the mediocrity and ascend into the playoffs…but after 27 years of futility who knows.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Defense still 1 good DT away in my opinion, also need another high-end corner as both Joseph/Wright fails last yr when given the opportunity.
Bland, Diggs, Gilmore gives you a very good (dare I say great) cornerback grouping. Jourdan Lewis will be back and is a good #4. Izzy Mukuamu was starting to flash at the end of last season and figures to slot in as your 5th CB.

I wouldn't doubt that they are looking corner in the first few rounds too. The DB group is going to be rock solid.

The DT group is the weakest on the team IMO. I actually like Osa and Golston as your 3-techs but Hankins and Bohana ain't going to get it done at 1-tech. I imagine they will be adding a veteran and a draft pick at this position going into camp.

This offseason gets an A from me. The Cooks and Gilmore signings get you pro bowl talent for the cost of a late round compensatory pick and they come with reasonable contracts too. I also really liked the decision to retain LVE and Wilson. Those guys are very important to the success of the defense and are your two leading tacklers. Ronald Jones was also a nice pickup on the cheap. Tagging Pollard is the one move I am not so sure about but if you had let him walk, your running back depth chart is Ronald Jones, Malik Davis, and Rico Dowdle. You have no idea what you could get out of those players for a full season.

Letting Schultz and Zeke go was 100% the correct call on both players too.

All in all, the Cowboys have had a very productive offseason thus far. Going into the draft they have no holes in this roster and can just load up on the best players sitting there when they pick.

Last edited: