Howie Roseman - Master Chessplayer?

Stryker44

Reaction score
Do you all think Roseman knew after Chip Kelly cut off his balls that it would be a temporary setback, and that once Kelly failed he would be able to implement his master plan once and for all?

trickamsterdam

Reaction score
Do you all think Roseman knew after Chip Kelly cut off his balls that it would be a temporary setback, and that once Kelly failed he would be able to implement his master plan once and for all?
Skins fans are arguably the least knowledgeable in the league. They typically write threads like this that sound like satire-- but they're dead serious.

They deserve Snyder as owner, he is one of them.

Stryker44

Reaction score
Skins fans are arguably the least knowledgeable in the league. They typically write threads like this that sound like satire-- but they're dead serious.

They deserve Snyder as owner, he is one of them.

Snyder has no master plan, only plans of failure. He prefers hiring yes men who worship him over real football men.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I think the whole world outside Philly knew Chip was destined to fail. I was celebrating his hire. His college offense was basically predicated on snapping the ball quickly before the defense was set. There was no way that garbage was going to work in the pros......and then he started unloading a lot of their star players. It was golden while it lasted.

Pape

Reaction score
Roseman got lucky and hit on nearly every free agent acquisition he made in 2017. That is rare - he did sign some really good players - still wishing the Pats had been able to hold onto Chris Long, unfortunately he wanted to move on. But prior to this year, he wasnt anything special, he was just good. Just like all the other guys out there trying to find pieces that fit the puzzle.

Aven8

Reaction score
Roseman got lucky and hit on nearly every free agent acquisition he made in 2017. That is rare - he did sign some really good players - still wishing the Pats had been able to hold onto Chris Long, unfortunately he wanted to move on. But prior to this year, he wasnt anything special, he was just good. Just like all the other guys out there trying to find pieces that fit the puzzle.

Well you can't say that Long moved on for the money can you?

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

How is that luck? I don't think evaluating players who fit your system and then finding a way to get them on your team qualifies as "luck". He did the same thing the Pats have been doing for years and nobody is calling you guys lucky.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
How is that luck? I don't think evaluating players who fit your system and then finding a way to get them on your team qualifies as "luck". He did the same thing the Pats have been doing for years and nobody is calling you guys lucky.

Well. Then the head coach would have had input into picking up players that fit the system.

C42

Reaction score
Well. Then the head coach would have had input into picking up players that fit the system.
Actually the Joe Douglas hiring was huge.

Howie has always been a master with the contracts. We’re never worried about our cap with him. But I feel like Douglas has done wonders for him evaluating the talent. I read somewhere Howie might get a new title and Douglas could get the GM title next.

GenoT

Reaction score
“Howie Roseman - Master Chess Player”

Sure...right up until Philly flames out in the postseason. Then everybody there will be calling for Pedersen and Roseman to be fired.

Please see: Falcons, Atlanta

Pape

Reaction score

1. People call the Pats lucky all the time.
2. How many times does a team bring in multiple free agents and have them all work out? It rarely happens, hence "Lucky". Honestly, its not a jab at him - being lucky is not a bad thing.

Pape

Reaction score
Well you can't say that Long moved on for the money can you?

Nope. He moved on due to playing time. Thought he could find a better defense that would use him more in line with his skill set. As I said, I was sorry to see him go, the Pats missed his talent and depth this year. And hes an all around good guy to boot. It was a pleasure to have him around, even if it was for a single year. I cant say enough good things about Chris Long.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1. People call the Pats lucky all the time.
2. How many times does a team bring in multiple free agents and have them all work out? It rarely happens, hence "Lucky". Honestly, its not a jab at him - being lucky is not a bad thing.

It takes a lot of football intelligence and hard work to get "lucky" in the NFL. You think Dallas is just "unlucky" that we haven't seen super bowl since 1995?

Pape

Reaction score
Yes it does take hard work. And that hard work does not pay off all the time. Hence "Lucky" or "Unlucky".

Roseman was in Philly making the calls in 2016 - Go look at that free agent class and see how well they did. They didn't perform nearly as well as the 2017 crop fo free agents did. Did Roseman work any less diligently in 2016 vs 2017? One way to describe that, at least for me, is 'Lucky". It worked. They won the Super Bowl. Think they have a hammerlock on every Super Bowl going forward? Yeah, I don't either.... So I have no problem characterizing this years success as lucky.

And no, I think Dallas isn't unlucky. To be lucky or unlucky, you have to have a semblance of "knowing what you are doing". I think Dallas has a poorly managed front office, who's decision makers are not in tune with the needs of the franchise actually are. You all had a vast talent drain on defense going into 2017 and your biggest free agent acquisition was a wide receiver. Go Figure.... You knew you had issues in the Secondary - or you should have - and you ran with what? two rookies and a 30 years old free agent? Hence 7th to 22nd in one year...

C42

Reaction score
Yes it does take hard work. And that hard work does not pay off all the time. Hence "Lucky" or "Unlucky".

Roseman was in Philly making the calls in 2016 - Go look at that free agent class and see how well they did. They didn't perform nearly as well as the 2017 crop fo free agents did. Did Roseman work any less diligently in 2016 vs 2017? One way to describe that, at least for me, is 'Lucky". It worked. They won the Super Bowl. Think they have a hammerlock on every Super Bowl going forward? Yeah, I don't either.... So I have no problem characterizing this years success as lucky.

Wasn’t that when we brought in McLeod, Bradham, and Brandon Brooks? Those are three under the radar signings that turned how huge for us. I thought it was a great crop besides Chase Daniel (although I think that was probably more of Pederson’s call).

Pape

Reaction score
Wasn’t that when we brought in McLeod, Bradham, and Brandon Brooks? Those are three under the radar signings that turned how huge for us. I thought it was a great crop besides Chase Daniel (although I think that was probably more of Pederson’s call).

It could have been. I may be confusing 2016 and 2015 - checking now.

the point is, its not a put down to say a team gets lucky on its personnel dealings. Some work some don't. To me thats the luck element

ghostdog

Reaction score
They did the same thing in 2016 as they did last year. Sign good players to make good one year deals to see how they perform in the system. The ones that do get long term deals. Brooks, McLeod last year and Jerrigan and Jeffery this year. But you nailed it with the addition of Joe Douglas. He is from the Ozzie Newsome talent evaluation tree. They want straight football players. Guys who love the game. They have a proven track record that was just proven yet again.

Reactions: C42

Pape

Reaction score
They did the same thing in 2016 as they did last year. Sign good players to make good one year deals to see how they perform in the system. The ones that do get long term deals. Brooks, McLeod last year and Jerrigan and Jeffery this year. But you nailed it with the addition of Joe Douglas. He is from the Ozzie Newsome talent evaluation tree. They want straight football players. Guys who love the game. They have a proven track record that was just proven yet again.

then it wasn't 2016, more 2015. my apologies

C42

Reaction score
then it wasn't 2016, more 2015. my apologies
The Byron Maxwell/DeMarco Murray class. That was horrible. But at least that helped get us Wentz lol. But that was Chip Kelly’s class. Howie just handled the contracts.

Now I feel the evaluators may be Joe Douglas and Doug Pederson helping Howie out. He’s still handling the contracts and trades as that’s his specialty.