Hypothetical: if we did trade Zeke, what teams would be interested and what offers could we expect?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
First off, sorry for another Zeke thread. I promise it’s my first and my last.

But I thought it would be fun to at least discuss this hypothetical since so many fans would like to see him traded.

The thought has to have at least entered Jerry and Stephen’s minds. Though I am 90% certain Zeke will be signed before the season starts, some of Jerry’s comments show frustration building. That 10% is intriguing.

One thing I’ve never seen discussed amongst the hundreds of “trade him!” is the most compelling aspect of that scenario: if traded, what teams would genuinely be interested and what might Dallas receive in return?
This is not hypothetical. Trading Zeke is a real possibility and the Cowboys are already gathering data on possible trading partners and potential offers, if the need arises. Of course, all this is a behind the door discussion that the media has no access to.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
It's dependent upon the prospective buyer as to what they're willing to pay. Each buyer would likely differ in their preference. Most would try to lowball us at the start. Jerry and Stephen would have to stand their ground to maximize their chances of getting the desired amount. Zeke's past would very possibly be a negative influence upon our opportunity to get the best deal possible, imho.

Last edited:
Reactions: CWR

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
It's dependent upon the prospective buyer as to what they're willing to pay. Each buyer would likely differ in their preference. Most would try to lowball us at the start. Jerry and Stephen would have to stand their ground to maximize their chances of getting the desired amount. Zeke's past would very possibly be a negative influence upon our opportunity to get the best deal possible, imho.
And they're not trading for him if they don't come to an agreement with Elliott on how much he wants. They're not like Jerry...trade draft picks and hope they can sign the player.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
And they're not trading for him if they don't come to an agreement with Elliott on how much he wants. They're not like Jerry...trade draft picks and hope they can sign the player.

I seriously doubt we'd be able to strike a deal that would have us coming away as happy campers. Zeke is a risky prospect, any way you slice it. We had best hope for a reasonable contract to be struck with him. The Dallas FO and Zeke are both standing on shaky ground. I see a compromise deal with him as being our best bet.

Last edited:

Swanny

Reaction score

But I thought it would be fun to at least discuss this hypothetical since so many fans would like to see him traded.

The thought has to have at least entered Jerry and Stephen’s minds. Though I am 90% certain Zeke will be signed before the season starts, some of Jerry’s comments show frustration building. That 10% is intriguing.

One thing I’ve never seen discussed amongst the hundreds of “trade him!” is the most compelling aspect of that scenario: if traded, what teams would genuinely be interested and what might Dallas receive in return?
Not as much as fans would like. A RB that is one suspension from a lifetime ban just won't fetch a boatload.

montgod

Reaction score
Oakland just drafted an RB in the 1st. Although, I wouldn’t mind something like Josh Jacobs + a 3rd for Zeke.

Cleveland has Chubb and Hunt. No way they’d do it.

I suggested this sort of trade in another thread with the additional thought that Raiders will be moving next year to Las Vegas. Adding Elliott and already having Brown (if he actually shows up) is a sure thing to increase ticket sales and excitement around Raiders potential even though doesn't mean more wins. It won't happen, but with Oakland's management, stranger things have happened LOL!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ship him to MIA for a 1st. See how he does behind one of the worst O-lines in the league. Cowboys would end up with a top 10 pick too. Never gonna happen though.

Miami is looking to move up in the draft, not trade away their first rounder.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
After his first three seasons, where he missed 6 games and has 4048 yards of rushing, the price starts at a high one and an additional one. He is the bets running back in the league and the piece for the right team to put them in the driver's seat come play-off time.

You can bet the press is dancing because of this hold out, and Zeke is the bed guy. They get to write tons of content.

But make this trade and the press will go off on the Cowboys as being the dumbest team in the history of the game. Then the team that gets Zeke, depending on the strength of their passing game, will be hailed as the odds on winner of at least one Super Bowl and maybe more.

And a scorned Zeke will tear the league a new rear end to show everyone was wrong about him, especially Dallas. This of the first game at JerryWorld and Zeke makes up his mond he will Randy Moss Jerry and the team on national TV. Because you know for a fact they will flex that game to make this prime time drama.

Zeke goes off for 200 total yards and the fans here will suddenly all claim they believed in Zeke and are surprised Jerry traded him.

There will be plenty of egg for the faces of those people.

You couldn't get any team to give up one first rounder, much less two.

Both sides are stuck with one another here, with no place else to turn.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

No need to apologize, it's the most compelling talking point going on with the Cowboys right now, good or bad. And it's an interesting subject for debate.

In my opinion, there's very little, if any actual chance for a trade. And any talk of even one first round pick, much less more, is fantasy.

But hypothetically, if I had to envision any scenario having the slightest chance, I'd look at two AFC teams - the Texans and the Ravens.

The Texans have cap space and their front office is in disarray. The owner passed away and the son who took over seems in over his head. They fired their GM and clumsily bungled their attempt to hire the guy from New England. Sometimes, teams in disarray will do dumb things in an attempted to wash away the stink.

The Ravens don't have a passing quarterback at all and will essentially be trying to run the Wishbone at the NFL level. They're already a good running team and adding the league's leading rusher would be huge for them. But I'm not sure their new GM would take a risk like that so soon in his watch.

There are too many factors that work against a trade:
  1. Huge contract involved
  2. Draft pick compensation
  3. The players off-field history
I think both parties are stuck with one another.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
This is not hypothetical. Trading Zeke is a real possibility and the Cowboys are already gathering data on possible trading partners and potential offers, if the need arises. Of course, all this is a behind the door discussion that the media has no access to.

....and you got it how?????

CWR

Reaction score
I suggested this sort of trade in another thread with the additional thought that Raiders will be moving next year to Las Vegas. Adding Elliott and already having Brown (if he actually shows up) is a sure thing to increase ticket sales and excitement around Raiders potential even though doesn't mean more wins. It won't happen, but with Oakland's management, stranger things have happened LOL!

Yes stranger things have happened, like thier owners haircut for example. Mike Davis travels 500 miles to get that haircut. That tells me hes capable of anything lol.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
You couldn't get any team to give up one first rounder, much less two.

Both sides are stuck with one another here, with no place else to turn.

The rancor about Zeke ia ridiculous. The idea of trading Zeke is even more absurd.

But to think this guy would not command a premium price for the best running back in the league I find astounding. Then to suggest you couldn't even get a 1 for him...well I have no words to express both be belief this is lunacy and absolutely wrong.

CWR

Reaction score
No need to apologize, it's the most compelling talking point going on with the Cowboys right now, good or bad. And it's an interesting subject for debate.

In my opinion, there's very little, if any actual chance for a trade. And any talk of even one first round pick, much less more, is fantasy.

But hypothetically, if I had to envision any scenario having the slightest chance, I'd look at two AFC teams - the Texans and the Ravens.

The Texans have cap space and their front office is in disarray. The owner passed away and the son who took over seems in over his head. They fired their GM and clumsily bungled their attempt to hire the guy from New England. Sometimes, teams in disarray will do dumb things in an attempted to wash away the stink.

The Ravens don't have a passing quarterback at all and will essentially be trying to run the Wishbone at the NFL level. They're already a good running team and adding the league's leading rusher would be huge for them. But I'm not sure their new GM would take a risk like that so soon in his watch.

There are too many factors that work against a trade:
  1. Huge contract involved
  2. Draft pick compensation
  3. The players off-field history
I think both parties are stuck with one another.

I think you are probably right there's a couple other teams I would add to the mix, but any deal is a longshot.

Which means we are bidding against ourselves. The same goes for Dak. Its gotten to the point where Id resign Coop and let the other two play out thier contracts.

You typically resign players early to keep them from hitting the market and starting a bidding war. Its entirely possible no one else is willing to pay what we are. If these guys aren't going to give us any type of deal for signing then early then we shouldn't sign them early. Dak in particular (who Im a fan of) won't likely get 35+ from anyone on the open market.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The rancor about Zeke ia ridiculous. The idea of trading Zeke is even more absurd.

Surpassed only by the ridiculous talk of getting anything of value for him.

But to think this guy would not command a premium price for the best running back in the league I find astounding. Then to suggest you couldn't even get a 1 for him...well I have no words to express both be belief this is lunacy and absolutely wrong.

Maybe if you could give me the last example of when:
  1. A team traded away a problem child running back, who just dodged another suspension?
  2. Got a first round draft pick to do it?
  3. The receiving team had to then make him the highest-paid player at his position?
Then you'd have a great point, and precedence.

Be sure to let me know when he fetches that price. I'll have absolutely no problem whatsoever telling you how right you were and how wrong I was.

Let me know when it happens.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think you are probably right there's a couple other teams I would add to the mix, but any deal is a longshot.

Which means we are bidding against ourselves.

And I think Stephen Jones has realized exactly that. The Cowboys could never get proper return for what they've invested in Elliott. And no other team would be willing to step up and pay Zeke what he's asking for.

So both sides are effectively stuck trying to make the best deal that they can together. Nobody else wants to get involved in it.

The same goes for Dak. Its gotten to the point where Id resign Coop and let the other two play out thier contracts.

Same here. Cooper is the deal you have to get done. That way you can keep him and still retain the franchise tag to use on the quarterback if it comes down to it. Zeke isn't going anywhere. Play here or not at all.

You typically resign players early to keep them from hitting the market and starting a bidding war. Its entirely possible no one else is willing to pay what we are. If these guys aren't going to give us any type of deal for signing then early then we shouldn't sign them early. Dak in particular (who Im a fan of) won't likely get 35+ from anyone on the open market.

I completely agree.

Reactions: CWR

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Surpassed only by the ridiculous talk of getting anything of value for him.

Maybe if you could give me the last example of when:
  1. A team traded away a problem child running back, who just dodged another suspension?
  2. Got a first round draft pick to do it?
  3. The receiving team had to then make him the highest-paid player at his position?
Then you'd have a great point, and precedence.

Be sure to let me know when he fetches that price. I'll have absolutely no problem whatsoever telling you how right you were and how wrong I was.

Let me know when it happens.

I do not agree with your list.

However, your premise has the same flaw and a great number of positions on this board.

What happened yesterday in this league does not mean it will have the same results tomorrow. While you see Zeke as a player who is worthless, one man's trash is another man's treasure.

The rest of your post is simply condescension. Rather pointless, Stash.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I do not agree with your list.

I invite you to dispute it, point by point if you like.

However, your premise has the same flaw and a great number of positions on this board.

By all means, point out that "flaw". I'm open to changing my mind.

What happened yesterday in this league does not mean it will have the same results tomorrow.

What does this mean? Just because the guy has screwed up multiple times doesn't mean he will again? And that it should all be forgotten?

While you see Zeke as a player who is worthless, one man's trash is another man's treasure.

When have I ever said such a thing? This is a Strawman. And clearly an emotional response.

The rest of your post is simply condescension. Rather pointless, Stash.

I'm not trying to seem condescending whatsoever, and I'm sorry if you feel that way.

You're extremely emotional about this subject, and it's influencing your rational decision making. I'm not sure I understand why exactly.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
My guess ......Bucs, Dolphins, Chiefs, Colts and maybe Bills could all be legit trading partners with Bucs, Chiefs, Colts. No questions we'd get at least 1st. With Zeke, Buc and Bills are 500+ teams.