Hypothetical: if we did trade Zeke, what teams would be interested and what offers could we expect?

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
I invite you to dispute it, point by point if you like.

By all means, point out that "flaw". I'm open to changing my mind.

What does this mean? Just because the guy has screwed up multiple times doesn't mean he will again? And that it should all be forgotten?

When have I ever said such a thing? This is a Strawman. And clearly an emotional response.

I'm not trying to seem condescending whatsoever, and I'm sorry if you feel that way.

You're extremely emotional about this subject, and it's influencing your rational decision making. I'm not sure I understand why exactly.

Just because something hasn't happened before in the NFL doesn't mean it will not happen in the future.

Or....

No running back EVER won the season rushing title and his team went on to win the Super Bowl. Not one....

Until...

Emmitt did it three times.

So your assertion no team will pay a top draft pick for Zeke and then make him the highest paid player has a flaw. Because it hasn't been done in the past does not mean it won't happen.

I also disagree with the term dodging in your comment about the suspension. Please post proof he was the topic of discussion by the league in regard to a suspension for the rent-a-cop. You can't because that was never made public by the league. Just the talking heads and they speculate at best.

Lastly, I am far from being emotional about this. Fact is I might be the least emotional of most if not all of the people commenting on Zeke.

I see this as business that will get done in its own time and this season will not be affected. I do not believe the team cannot afford to pay all three. They have stated they have been preparing for this, so why should I not take that at face value.

I disagree with the sentiment that Zeke is a trouble maker. Immature, certainly. But this team has had some really bad boys in the past and Zeke is a choir boy compared to some of them. And that includes my favorite Cowboy Michael Irvin.

My opinion is people have been so immersed in the belief this is the year that they have gotten their feelings hurt about Zeke protecting his payday. The animus displayed is of spoiled children that didn't get a toy as mommy was shopping and now and throwing tantrums.

This is the very same rancor that Murray wen through. He stayed loyal and yet the fan base here turned on him the second the season was over. So this is not unique or new. This is a fan base that is intolerant and has no perspective.

And we now live in a world that someone is always wrong in every issue. Your team is being cheated on by a greedy running back who is a trouble maker. Let's just ignore his immense talent and start a character assassination because our feelings are hurt.

I have seen my share of trouble maker players in Dallas. Roy Tarpley was a huge talent that could not stay straight. The team had to just ride that horse until it dropped.

Zeke is not being disloyal. He is making certain that as the best running back in the league he is not going to get left out in the rain when it comes to a pay day. If this was such a travesty then why do the owners capitulate? They don't have to. But they do. Renegotiation are a thing in this league.

No sir, I am not emotional about this at all. I am just introducing logic to this discussion and refuse to get my panties in a wad and start a verbal assault on the running back that is the centerpiece for this offense.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Zeke off field antics >>>>>>>>> . Not worth the headache for most teams forget the pick :lmao:

Zekes off the field antics would not even get noticed in a lot of these cities- they are not the Cowboys !

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just because something hasn't happened before in the NFL doesn't mean it will not happen in the future.

Or....

No running back EVER won the season rushing title and his team went on to win the Super Bowl. Not one....

Until...

Emmitt did it three times.

So your assertion no team will pay a top draft pick for Zeke and then make him the highest paid player has a flaw. Because it hasn't been done in the past does not mean it won't happen.

It has no "flaw". The sad statement that "because something hasn't happened yet" is the flaw. What's next? Because man hasn't yet achieved unassisted flight doesn't mean that won't happen either? Just silly.

I also disagree with the term dodging in your comment about the suspension. Please post proof he was the topic of discussion by the league in regard to a suspension for the rent-a-cop. You can't because that was never made public by the league. Just the talking heads and they speculate at best.

I guess you missed the part where he had a special meeting with the Commissioner and had to release another "apology statement". "Talking heads" didn't make that up.

Lastly, I am far from being emotional about this. Fact is I might be the least emotional of most if not all of the people commenting on Zeke.

You can continue to deny that if you want, but the sheer word volume of your response shows otherwise.

I see this as business that will get done in its own time and this season will not be affected. I do not believe the team cannot afford to pay all three. They have stated they have been preparing for this, so why should I not take that at face value.

I disagree with the sentiment that Zeke is a trouble maker. Immature, certainly. But this team has had some really bad boys in the past and Zeke is a choir boy compared to some of them. And that includes my favorite Cowboy Michael Irvin.

My opinion is people have been so immersed in the belief this is the year that they have gotten their feelings hurt about Zeke protecting his payday. The animus displayed is of spoiled children that didn't get a toy as mommy was shopping and now and throwing tantrums.

This is the very same rancor that Murray wen through. He stayed loyal and yet the fan base here turned on him the second the season was over. So this is not unique or new. This is a fan base that is intolerant and has no perspective.

And we now live in a world that someone is always wrong in every issue. Your team is being cheated on by a greedy running back who is a trouble maker. Let's just ignore his immense talent and start a character assassination because our feelings are hurt.

I have seen my share of trouble maker players in Dallas. Roy Tarpley was a huge talent that could not stay straight. The team had to just ride that horse until it dropped.

Zeke is not being disloyal. He is making certain that as the best running back in the league he is not going to get left out in the rain when it comes to a pay day. If this was such a travesty then why do the owners capitulate? They don't have to. But they do. Renegotiation are a thing in this league.

No sir, I am not emotional about this at all. I am just introducing logic to this discussion and refuse to get my panties in a wad and start a verbal assault on the running back that is the centerpiece for this offense.

All evidence to the contrary.

Reactions: CWR

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
It has no "flaw". The sad statement that "because something hasn't happened yet" is the flaw. What's next? Because man hasn't yet achieved unassisted flight doesn't mean that won't happen either? Just silly.

I guess you missed the part where he had a special meeting with the Commissioner and had to release another "apology statement". "Talking heads" didn't make that up.

You can continue to deny that if you want, but the sheer word volume of your response shows otherwise.

All evidence to the contrary.

Post the meeting where Zeke was being discussed in regard to a suspension. Post anything that says the league made him apologize to the rent-a-cop.

Once again, the rest of your post is conjecture from a point of view of a fan who is angry because he's not getting a player to do what he wants.

I am now done with this..

But, I will add. I posted the reasons why I believe what I believe. Your insult about word count just dovetails with your, "I know you are but what am I," responses.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Post the meeting where Zeke was being discussed in regard to a suspension. Post anything that says the league made him apologize to the rent-a-cop.

It's public knowledge and widely available. Google it.

Once again, the rest of your post is conjecture from a point of view of a fan who is angry because he's not getting a player to do what he wants.

Nice attempt at projection, but I'm nit the guy that wrote a 300 word manifesto on it.

But, I will add. I posted the reasons why I believe what I believe. Your insult about word count just dovetails with your, "I know you are but what am I," responses.

Wow. Pot meet kettle. Nobody's responses here have contained as little revelation information on the subject as yours have. And you have the nerve to call anyone else "emotional".

Through all of these words, you have yet to give me one shred of valid information refuting anything I've said. You speak of "flaws" and inaccuracies with the facts I've presented, but do nothing to refute any of them.

And again, your "I'm done with this" comment belies your emotional investment. I'm just trying to have a conversation and debate here, but I'm unable to get anything of substance from you.

I'm not looking for animosity, but merely conversation.

dckid

Reaction score
First off, sorry for another Zeke thread. I promise it’s my first and my last.

But I thought it would be fun to at least discuss this hypothetical since so many fans would like to see him traded.

The thought has to have at least entered Jerry and Stephen’s minds. Though I am 90% certain Zeke will be signed before the season starts, some of Jerry’s comments show frustration building. That 10% is intriguing.

One thing I’ve never seen discussed amongst the hundreds of “trade him!” is the most compelling aspect of that scenario: if traded, what teams would genuinely be interested and what might Dallas receive in return?

Before the draft is when he should have been traded. Now you wont get much value.
Raiders drafted a guy in the first round, and Gruden wants him to be rookie of the year.
Chiefs would have probably offered two firsts as the last piece to win a title. Not now the wont.
Guys and Gals, please face the reality the RB is a replaceable position in today's NFL. The Gurley contract is terrible ever before his injury. Bell lost 12 million dollars he will never make up. David Johnson & Freeman have under performed their contracts.

Sydla

Reaction score
Oakland just drafted an RB in the 1st. Although, I wouldn’t mind something like Josh Jacobs + a 3rd for Zeke.

Cleveland has Chubb and Hunt. No way they’d do it.

But Oakland has that guy under contract for 5 years at a reasonable number compared to what they'd have to pay Elliott in the next year or two. I think most teams would rather draft a first round TB than trade a first round pick for a TB and then have to pay him $60MM.

Sydla

Reaction score
I don't know. Maybe not the teams in top contention, but Zeke seems like a relatively cheap marquee player to put buts in the seats for a low budget franchise.

He's not "relatively" cheap when/if you hand him an elite, long term RB contract in a year or two.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I do not see any team willing to give up a 1st and pay that salary and for some teams his off the field stuff would kill their interest.

The other problem is that this draft is considered to be one of the deepest at RB in quite some time.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not to hijack but a similar hypothetical (if you don’t mind) in. Redraft right now, who would go higher, Zeke or Amari?

as far as your question, I think we could expect similar to what the Steelers got for AB, and I think it would also take the Raiders to do it. Lol
They were not in the same draft...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Zeke will want to get paid ASAP if he's traded, so it has to be a team with legitimate cap space to at least take some of the signing bonus hit and push the rest back into the later years. Let's say he gets 16 million per year, I'd say at least half that in space to cover this year's lower cap hit:

7031629-cap%20space.png

24 teams.

Saints have Kamara and just passed on resigning Ingram, they're unlikely... that's 23. Panthers have to pay Mccaffrey soon, and it looks like he's their guy, 22. Raiders just drafted Jacobs and Cowboys don't count, 20. Jets just paid Bell, Bengals like Mixon. 18. Browns have 3 good RBs, as do the Commanders, Eagles have depth if anything and probably wouldn't ever pay Zeke what he wants... 15. Zeke is not Andy Reid's type of back and they need to save their money for Mahomes and Hill, 14. Jaguars would probably prefer to gamble with Fournette so they can pay Ramsey, and Colts had a shot at Bell and didn't bother, I guess Mack is good enough...12. If the Chargers won't pay Gordon they definitely won't pay Zeke, and the Bills have like 4 RBs eating up cap... 10. Titans and Texans both have RBs who solidified the starting spot, so they're possible but unlikelies. 8. 49ers have 2 high priced RBs on the roster, but Zeke would be a major upgrade. Would you take Tevin Coleman and a 2? If no, that's 7.

Seahawks and Patriots both took first round running backs in 2018, but I could see either going for him in a surprise move. He's exactly what Seattle had with Marshawn, and Zeke'd definitely make NE a force on offense that they haven't been in awhile. Bears are another outside possibility, he fits them to a T. Packers MAYBE, Ravens doubtfully, and then there's the Dolphins/Lions. If Zeke's just in it for the money, he can go to one of those and watch his career not matter.

The team that makes the most sense is.....

Miami. You just got a top 10 QB for a second round pick, you could stand to lose a 1st. Not like you're building toward anything anyway. Plus, Rosen's about to get destroyed by your terrible O-line, terrible receivers, and you'll lose every game with your subpar defense. Zeke could literally save his career. Plus, look at all that dead money coming off the books for Miami next year. They could sign Zeke to a record deal and have even MORE cap space next offseason than right now.

Good analysis.

Dolphins
If the Dolphins GM is on the hot seat, then he could see it as an instant impact move.
  • Logically it's not a good idea for a bad team.
  • They can likely get a decent free agent RB in March.
  • Their draft pick next season is likely a top 10 pick.

Green Bay
There have been many years where a big time RB in Green Bay could have put them over the top.
- I don't know much about their current GM. It's not a move their previous GM would have made.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Good analysis.

Green Bay
There have been many years where a big time RB in Green Bay could have put them over the top.
- I don't know much about their current GM. It's not a move their previous GM would have made.

They also have a different HC, which means different offensive preferences. Matt Lafleur was Tennessee's OC last year, St, Louis in 2017, Atlanta QB coach in 2015-16. All 3 of those previous instances had dominant run games with star RB's.

Plus, they have been spending money this offseason they never would have before, implying the GM is a very different guy than the last.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Packers: Aaron Jones + 2020 2nd

Aaron Jones in his 8 starts in 2018:
Att: 92
Yards: 503
Yard/Att: 5.5
TDs: 6

Projected to 16 starts:
Att: 184
Yards: 1006
Yard/Att: 5.5
TDs: 12

In many past years a big time RB would have been a great addition to Green Bay; however,
Aaron Jones looks like he might be quite good; although he ended last season on IR and has been suspended before.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
First off, sorry for another Zeke thread. I promise it’s my first and my last.

But I thought it would be fun to at least discuss this hypothetical since so many fans would like to see him traded.

The thought has to have at least entered Jerry and Stephen’s minds. Though I am 90% certain Zeke will be signed before the season starts, some of Jerry’s comments show frustration building. That 10% is intriguing.

One thing I’ve never seen discussed amongst the hundreds of “trade him!” is the most compelling aspect of that scenario: if traded, what teams would genuinely be interested and what might Dallas receive in return?

AggravatingAlarmedAcornwoodpecker-size_restricted.gif

Big_D

Reaction score
Flores is in his 1st camp in Miami and they're big on Kenyan Drake heading into is 4th season.

CWR

Reaction score

I dont think you go meet with the commissioner to discuss your behavior without disciplinary actions being a possibility.

Although its absolutely possible even likely the commissioner had his mind made up prior to the meeting. It would seem likely the meeting was an attempt to tell Zeke to tread carefully.

Tooter_Magee

Reaction score
I do not see any team willing to give up a 1st and pay that salary and for some teams his off the field stuff would kill their interest.

The other problem is that this draft is considered to be one of the deepest at RB in quite some time.

Agree. And look at all of the successful teams. They almost all have multiple RBs and scheme to make it work. It doesn't make sense anymore to bank on one elite RB for 90% of the carries.
Especially with the trend of using the RB more in the passing game.