Hypothetical Involving 1Tech/NT

Doomsday101

Reaction score
This is true but he is moved around to take advantage of vulnerabilities. He is not moves around for position flex, which is what is being discussed here. I.E., he isn't moved from a penetrating difference maker to a guy who is schemed to simply eat blocks. Kind of a different thing all the way around.

No they allow their DT to attack not just hold blocks, my point is you have talent like a Donaldson it puts a lot of pressure on offense because the man in not just a pass rusher he is a run stuffer as well. Pretty much in the same mold as a Randy White

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
No they allow their DT to attack not just hold blocks, my point is you have talent like a Donaldson it puts a lot of pressure on offense because the man in not just a pass rusher he is a run stuffer as well. Pretty much in the same mold as a Randy White

Yeah, no. The point is that the scheme we have now is reliant on a Two Gap guy who is able to shut down the middle. That's not Donald and it's never been what he is asked to do so the point you are trying to make really doesn't matter, in context to the discussion. 3tech does not mean pass rusher. 3tech is a move guy who creates penetration. He is not a 2gap player who eats blocks and guess what, Donald is not a NT/1Tech and he never has been. The day he becomes that is the day he will likely be cut from an NFL team. That's never who is going to be.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let's suppose you kept EVERY player we currently have on the defense BUT added a sure fire top five 1 Tech/NT to the current defense. What do you think the impact of it would be on the defense, with the new coaching hire?
I had two separate three year starters at that position. They were each about 6'3", 290 lbs and both benched over 500lbs and squatted over 600lbs by their senior years. They each had a defensive end teammate make the all state team, one was one vote away from being Defensive MVP in the State of Texas. It would free up our edge rushers and by taking to blockers would free up our LBs. It would make a big difference. I'll put a pic of one of those kids as my avatar in a minute. Look closely and see what he is sitting on.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This is where I am going to differ with you. Our run defense INSIDE is what is killing us. If we fix that, this defense is going to be vastly improved.

That is where we agree. But I think it takes more than 1 DT to fix it. Our 3T and RDE are still really undersized vs OL and their penetrating style makes them vulnerable to zone blocking and being taken out of the play. Atleast in the same style defense we had been using.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm a big proponent for the addition of a huge, strong and mean 1T. I think that immediately helps our DL. But, as has been said already, they have glaring problems in all three levels of the D. They have got to improve the LB corps with a talented ML at least and they MUST get a talented, ball-hawking FS! These three additions together make this defense much improved.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Let's suppose you kept EVERY player we currently have on the defense BUT added a sure fire top five 1 Tech/NT to the current defense. What do you think the impact of it would be on the defense, with the new coaching hire?

Not much. We got a lot of problems.

cowboyec

Reaction score
you would hope it would improve our run defense...make life a lil easier for our LBs and get us off the field on 3rd down.
but who the hell really knows.

quickccc

Reaction score
Both of these guys are 3T and can penetrate.

Donald leads the league in sacks almost every season.

and then think about the fellow teammates besides Donald on the DL .. Suh and Brocker. Two guys that are known more of their run defense than pass rush.
Especially with Suh at this stage and age of his career. That further helps out Donald when it comes to team defense vs the run.

In Fletcher Cox, you have a 3 tech role that has always been notable run stuffer, even though he doesn't always show up as often as a pass rusher as he used to
And you look at Philly's LBs and they are nothing special. Decent at best.
But they are decent enough to finish off what the DL does in the trenches to allow the backers to operate and keeps them in ranks among better run defenses in NFL

I believe the key has always been with Philly does in their DL, albeit Philly has been going thru 1 tech guys the last few years, Hargrove is the currently the most recent
added one, and in the past it's been injury prone Tim Jurnigan.

But it does matter the level of performance of a dominant 1 tech. He cannot solo make the run defense better by himself as it does go by overall team performance
but as a guy that demands double team, he does help a lot with the dirty work, occupying the lanes for "capable" LBs to flow freely to the action and lessen the traffic.

And also if we look up the contracts of the better 1 techs per FA, and see if they don't get paid for such terrific clog lane dirty work ...

quickccc

Reaction score
Huge. Right now, I don't believe we have a starting NT/1tech that fits this scheme. That guy is pretty critical to making the entire defense work. That would be a very valuable piece if we had that.

But I'm curious, when you say top 5, are you saying spend a top 5 pick on one or one of the top 5 in the NFL right now?

I would not spend a top 5 pick on one but I'd love to have a guy who is top 5 at the position.

I wouldn't invest in a first round pick for a 1 tech role guy either. Not for a 4-3 scheme.
But 2nd to 4th rounder, yes I would. But to pick a 1 tech that high in the early rounds, i'd have to believe he's really exceptional in this one area.

as far as FA in getting a top five 1 tech in the NFL ,.. if i'm really interested in getting a top notch FA 1 tech, ..I know most likely i'm gonna have to pay high dollar contract for one.
i'm not gonna get one on a dollar store bargain the way Stephen likes to shop for and gamble on.

quickccc

Reaction score
Let's suppose you kept EVERY player we currently have on the defense BUT added a sure fire top five 1 Tech/NT to the current defense.
What do you think the impact of it would be on the defense, with the new coaching hire?

So We're keeping EVERY player on a defense that was among the worst defenses in NFL history and we're expecting ONE solo guy to help the new coaching staff turn us around ?
I'm thinking we're needing to replace at least 5 to 6 players with better players.

DL
RDE - Aldon Smith ??
3 tech - Gallimore/Hill
1 tech - ?? ..(Woods ??)
LDE - DLaw

LBs
Leo ? - Gregory
mike - Jaylon ??
Will- LVE

Secondary
LCB - Diggs
SS - Wilson
FS ???
slot - Brown ??
RCB ??

visionary

Reaction score
As much as I am a fan of getting a great DT1T, I have to agree that the impact would be little

the players in defense right now are total garbage. We essentially only have 2 DEs that would be starters on a good defense. Nothing else. You can’t plug in one piece in the middle of this trash heap and expect to see a major impact

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As much as I am a fan of getting a great DT1T, I have to agree that the impact would be little

the players in defense right now are total garbage. We essentially only have 2 DEs that would be starters on a good defense. Nothing else. You can’t plug in one piece in the middle of this trash heap and expect to see a major impact
I agree, but that shouldn't discourage the FO from taking the best player on their board, hopefully a player of need. This team has got to start building a championship style defense and it may take a few years. There is definitely a need for a space eating, huge tackle that will take blocks away from the DE's and can play the run. Many holes to fill!

visionary

Reaction score
I agree, but that shouldn't discourage the FO from taking the best player on their board, hopefully a player of need. This team has got to start building a championship style defense and it may take a few years. There is definitely a need for a space eating, huge tackle that will take blocks away from the DE's and can play the run. Many holes to fill!

no of course not

I’m saying they need to pick several players in FA and draft to get this defense to ge really competitive. Just picking a 1 DT will not be enough

and I dont think it’ll take a few years. As I’ve outlined before we can make a significant impact this year through FA and draft if we’re smart

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
no of course not

I’m saying they need to pick several players in FA and draft to get this defense to ge really competitive. Just picking a 1 DT will not be enough

and I dont think it’ll take a few years. As I’ve outlined before we can make a significant impact this year through FA and draft if we’re smart
I agree it can be done more rapidly, but will take careful drafting and FA hiring. I hope they understand the needs of a great D.

Beaker42

Reaction score
This is where I am going to differ with you. Our run defense INSIDE is what is killing us. If we fix that, this defense is going to be vastly improved.
I think we can get 3 and possibly 4 starters on D this draft but we have to be smart.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
I feel like it’s been a long standing thought that if we just had that guy to flog the middle it’s make everyone on the defense’s job easier and they would be better because of it

kskboys

Reaction score
Of the two answers, neither of us said that lol.

A 1T doesn't really matter, regardless of the coach.
Then why to the teams who are always super bowl contenders think they do? Reid, Bellychickens, Harbaugh.

Name one winning franchise who believes the NT doesn't matter.

kskboys

Reaction score
GB's D didn't come together until they found Kenny Clark. Nnadi in KC, Lotuleilei in BUFF, Brandon Williams in BALT.

Very very seldom do you see a super bowl contender w/o a good NT.

Casual fans don't see the need for NT because he doesn't put up stats.