I’d rather the Cowboys lost

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
We are not getting QB Lawrence or OT Sewell outside of those two guys no one else is worth tanking for. So we might as well keep fighting for a playoff spot.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Another genius!

So what you are me advocating is not making a culture where losing is unacceptable? You want a team that thinks it’s ok to lose when it’s for the greater good? And you would be the first one to cry about being mediocre when you designed the plan that made them mediocre to begin with.

that’s like telling your kids not to smoke when you are puffing away on a smoke. It not only makes you a hypocrite it is doomed from the start.

Losing is never acceptable. Period. Anything other than standard is a complete waste of time and anyone that advocates other wise is an idiot.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
So what you are me advocating is not making a culture where losing is unacceptable? You want a team that thinks it’s ok to lose when it’s for the greater good? And you would be the first one to cry about being mediocre when you designed the plan that made them mediocre to begin with.

that’s like telling your kids not to smoke when you are puffing away on a smoke. It not only makes you a hypocrite it is doomed from the start.

Losing is never acceptable. Period. Anything other than standard is a complete waste of time and anyone that advocates other wise is an idiot.
I’m a fan. Your a fan. The players and the coaches of course are going to try to win.
As a fan hoping we lose meaningless games so we have a much better opportunity to improve our team in the future is common sense for many of us. It’s very immature and illogical to think meaningless wins this year will help the team in the future, especially when your drafting much later. Look at Miami. They were 3-13 last year and this year are fighting for a playoff birth. Their draft position last year, #3, helped them immensely this year. Losing so many games last year, DID NOT stop them from having a successful season this year!

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
I just don't understand this mentality at all. I want to WIN. When you go to work do you screw up projects in hope you'll screw your co-worker to get somebody.... that you hope, by luck of the draw, will be better?

Look at the Jets. Picking high every year. Cincinnati, same boat. Some here think that we should lose? I'm sorry, despite any explanation you have on losing, I'm not on that team. If you like the feeling of losing because it may make us better later on.... how do you approach day to day mundane existence? I'll lose today and make things better tomorrow? That makes absolutely no sense. You want better today, and even better tomorrow. At least that's how I see it.

Contrary to the rationale, who wants to lose? I like when the Cowboys win. We are not a good team, but I would never want us to lose. Ever. Regardless of our record. A high draft pick guarantees us nothing, but a win gives some hope that we can build off of that. It also makes you feel good at the end of the day. I don't understand the mentality of losing on purpose to win later on. We can get any highly touted player you want, but if you follow the NFL draft, and the players drafted top ten, it does not guarantee nothing. Bottom line to me, it is Jerry and Stephen. It has been over 25 years that we've done anything of substance, and tanking, on top of their sorry ability of managing the team is the problem. It will continue in my opinion. So, enjoy the wins because when it matters, the losses come when we don't want them to. An unexpected win here and there, as a Cowboy's fan is gravy in my book, although the pages are plenty empty where it counts.
If we have good enough players, because we take advantage of drafting in the top 5, we will not have to worry about a losers mentality. Miami is fighting hard to make the playoffs this year. Last year they finished 3-13.

You can settle for meaningless wins now and mediocrity in the future, but I want a Super Bowl win in the future. Delayed gratification this year gives us a better chance of making the big game in the future, though I know most of the win now fans do not comprehend this at all.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In the history of the NFL the team picking #4 in the draft has picked better players than the team picking #10. How do some fans not understand this.
Fans know this already. What some fans do not seem to know or acknowledge is that:

1. Whoever Dallas picks at any position, even fourth or higher, will not necessarily be a better player than his peers drafted after him (another possibility recorded in past drafts)
2. Jerry Jones is still the general manager
3. Teams create their draft boards according to their particular insights (e.g. scouting, etc.)
4. Jerry Jones' track record for giving the green light on which players are picked has been questioned by outsiders practically as often for players who succeed along with players who do not succeed
5. There is only one Jerry Jones. And no one (especially no one on CowboysZone for certain) is pulling his strings

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
What we did was dumb today. What was the win for? Honor? Integrity? Because winning against not only a meddling, weak Bengals team that is missing their QB sad and sorry, but it messed up our draft pick in the process. AND BEFORE anyone says “Oh oh a high draft pick means nothing!!” We could’ve traded down that high draft pick for more picks!! It’s clear as day that our secondary is depleted and that we need more players on defense/O-line in case someone goes out with an injury. A surplus of (good) draft picks will help with that tremendously. However, Dallas cannot even tank right. We will be the 5-6 draft pick AT BEST. If we win against Philly, we’re looking to be anywhere from the 9-12 pick. How stupid.
Thats a hard call when you think about it, whats a coach supposed to do, how can you even begin to be a leader if your teaching players to lose?
Im one of the biggest advocates for tanking at this point, but this is a rough territory.
I would just like to hear from one person that knows how to convince a locker room to quit.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Thats a hard call when you think about it, whats a coach supposed to do, how can you even begin to be a leader if your teaching players to lose?
Im one of the biggest advocates for tanking at this point, but this is a rough territory.
I would just like to hear from one person that knows how to convince a locker room to quit.
You don’t get it! The players don’t tank. The fans, the ones that understand delayed gratification, hope we lose so we get a top 5 pick, instead of a top 10-13 pick.

bigE79

Reaction score
A REAL fan is willing to take a little pain for the good of the franchise. Obviously your not willing to do that. Your nothing more then a casual cheerleader. You dont have the stomach to understand whats best for this team.

Lets just get to the bottom line. Im rooting for a top 5 pick and your rooting for the 19th pick. What kind of fan are you? Eagles fan maybe?
A little pain? .it's been 26 frigging years of pain.

diamonddelts

Reaction score
What we did was dumb today. What was the win for? Honor? Integrity? Because winning against not only a meddling, weak Bengals team that is missing their QB sad and sorry, but it messed up our draft pick in the process. AND BEFORE anyone says “Oh oh a high draft pick means nothing!!” We could’ve traded down that high draft pick for more picks!! It’s clear as day that our secondary is depleted and that we need more players on defense/O-line in case someone goes out with an injury. A surplus of (good) draft picks will help with that tremendously. However, Dallas cannot even tank right. We will be the 5-6 draft pick AT BEST. If we win against Philly, we’re looking to be anywhere from the 9-12 pick. How stupid.

THIS

75boyz

Reaction score
One more meaningless win like this last one and good bye top 5 pick!

Just a shout out to you for standing your ground and doing your best to explain the greater good concept to the masses.

The ultimate decision makers are the Jones Dynamic Duo. And that is unfortunate. But the simple inability to grasp that higher ranked players will be available with a higher draft slot in every round based off this year's losing record seems so simple to understand.
The higher your draft pick corresponds with the probability of the higher ranked player on your draft board being available.

Players aren't guaranteed. This current FO braintrust picking the right choices when their turn comes is also not guaranteed.

But do you not want the highest ranked player available at your spot on every round so as to at least have a 50-50 shot at selecting him?

Like I said, whether Jerry and Son pick him or not is a separate issue.

The point is to have the highest choice available.

I follow you bro and agree wholeheartedly. I mean I guess you gotta consider the full spectrum of CZ poster mentalitys here so it ain't too shocking to read some of the responses.

McKDaddy

Reaction score

the players on the team who are good enough understand. the ones who don't understand won't be here any way. (at least they shouldn't be)