I’d rather the Cowboys lost

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
No one is saying that.

Now, turn this around. Would you rather have Chase Young or Chaisson? You're basing your entire way of thinking on only one example.

Just because good players can be found throughout the draft, that does not negate the fact that the more toward the front you pick, the better the chances of getting better players.
Common sense is hard for fanatics.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
That’s right I want the best draft pick we can get. Sorry if you don’t agree. A fan since 1963.
Hells Bells, so do I. They aren't going anywhere and they sure as hell aren't going to be in the playoffs so MM should grow a pair and start playing all the young ones!

kskboys

Reaction score
OK and then we can forget about a list a mile long of players taken as high as the very 1st pick in the draft that turned out to be busts. All the players that the draft gurus and sporting world have said those players would be big stars in the NFL but ended up as busts. To many people think there's some unwritten guarantee that high draft picks can't be or won't be busts but there is no such guarantee. I'm interested in what teams draft what players but I don't get all excited about any of them until I see how they preform in the NFL. The reason I hold off is the hugely vast majority of players these draft picks play against in college are players who never even make it into an NFL training camp. So is it easier to look good against lesser talent or better talent like in the NFL?
Of course, that's obvious.

However, pointing at a few busts and successful players taken later does not point toward it not matter where you draft. That would be a non sequitar, or does not follow.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Of course, that's obvious.

However, pointing at a few busts and successful players taken later does not point toward it not matter where you draft. That would be a non sequitar, or does not follow.

What I've said are reasons why tanking for a higher draft pick does two things. One it starts a culture on the team that winning is not important to the team, and in fact they prefer it for better draft picks. Second tanking will anger both players and coaches who will want out of the team as soon as they can.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
What I've said are reasons why tanking for a higher draft pick does two things. One it starts a culture on the team that winning is not important to the team, and in fact they prefer it for better draft picks. Second tanking will anger both players and coaches who will want out of the team as soon as they can.
It’s not tanking when fans want their team to lose games at the end of the year so they improve their draft capital!
Players and coaches are still playing and coaching hard.

Also, it is completely legitimate for a HC to start playing younger players at the end of the year if his team has NO shot in the playoffs.

Finally, if this team gets better players through the draft we don’t need to worry about a losing culture. We will have better players to put on the field. See Miami last year. 3-13, now they are fighting for a playoff spot!

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Cincy should have won this game easily, a spare of a QB goes up and down the field, a 13 and 15 play drives resulting in zero points for Cincy, three turnovers where Dallas scored 17 points off of them..

I don't want Dallas to win another game, I want the highest draft pick possible and either take an elite player or trade back for a boat load of picks.....
I also hope this will open Jerry's eye's as to how poor his and sons GM judgment actually is. What?...Wait?...Naaaaa, not a chance!!!

kskboys

Reaction score
Disagree about the culture. That's simply fanstuff, doesn't really happen.

Now, there are teams who have a bad culture, of that there is no doubt. However, it is not attributed to trading away good players or playing less talented youngster.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
It’s not tanking when fans want their team to lose games at the end of the year so they improve their draft capital!
Players and coaches are still playing and coaching hard.

Also, it is completely legitimate for a HC to start playing younger players at the end of the year if his team has NO shot in the playoffs.

Finally, if this team gets better players through the draft we don’t need to worry about a losing culture. We will have better players to put on the field. See Miami last year. 3-13, now they are fighting for a playoff spot!

And drafting higher is no guarantee of getting better. See the two decades of the browns picking high and how long the jets have picked high to see that picking high is no guarantee of getting better. There is a list a mile long of players coming out of college that the draft gurus and sporting world proclaimed that will be big stars in the NFL who were drafted as high as the very first pick in the draft to any number there after that turned out to be busts. As far as fans wanting their team to tank really aren't fans to start out with, or at least are just fair weather fans. I as a true fan root for the Cowboys to win every game and I accept where in the draft they end up. The HOF is loaded with players that weren't taken within the top 5 picks, one not until the 17th round and 16 who weren't even drafted.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Disagree about the culture. That's simply fanstuff, doesn't really happen.

Now, there are teams who have a bad culture, of that there is no doubt. However, it is not attributed to trading away good players or playing less talented youngster.

Nobody knows for sure but I'd guess that the losing culture comes from the players who see younger inexperienced players playing while experienced players are sitting on the bench. The players then start to think that the team is more interested in drafting higher than winning which will cause those that have contracts ending to want out and go to teams who want the best most experienced players playing and not auditioning their young talent during games that count. Unfortunately creating a losing culture isn't just a fan thing, it really does happen.