I’m really proud of Randy Gregory

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can't imagine what having the disease, and having to get the marijuana, while being a star player on the Dallas Cowboys Football. Pretty much knowing you are risking the benefits of that.

So great job Randy getting control of it, and hopefully you reap the rewards of a great football career! Go git em!

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My impression of Randy has always been that he is a sincere guy who wants to succeed, so I am pulling for him.

I admit, however, to feeling he may never be the player people once thought he could be. He's almost 29 and 6 NFL seasons have already come and gone since he was drafted, and he has missed a lot of development time, so I'm a little skeptical.

Here's to hoping he proves my skepticism to be unfounded

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Of all the Cowboys players this year, the guy I’m most pulling for is Randy Gregory. No matter what happens for him this season, I’m already super proud of him. Randy Gregory is a man I admire regardless of his football skills and accomplishments.

When RG was drafted back in 2015, he was a first round talent with major personal issues. Specifically, the mental health challenge known as Bipolar disorder. I don’t know how many NFL players struggle with Bipolar disorder, but the odds of making an NFL career for those who do have this difficult disorder have to be very low.

Most bipolar sufferers struggle with two big things: 1. Admitting and accepting they have it and 2. Will they seek healthy ways to treat it? Almost all bipolar sufferers seek some kind of medication. Legal or not. Some are fortunate enough to find legal medications administered by medical professionals that can balance the brain chemistry that throws them alternately from either a deep depression or an over-excited mania. It can be exhausting. Some use alcohol, marijuana or other substances to help them cope. Gregory used weed because it helped him deal with the highs and lows. And was punished by NFL policy for it.

How do I know all this? Because my wife and I have beautiful daughter in her 30s who is bipolar. We have seen the painful effects bipolar disorder has had on her life for nearly two decades.

I don’t need to go into details. She has an amazing story of incredible struggles, legal problems and even hospitalization. But I am happy to report that our daughter has accepted she has this problem and has been taking effective medications from her doctors that have allowed her to regain her footing again in her life. After nearly a decade of difficulties, she is nearing completion of her bachelor’s degree. She is in a healthy relationship. We are proud of her courage and progress.

Like all Cowboys fans, I’m excited at the reports that RG is having a great camp and has been selected by his teammates to serve on the team’s leadership council. After 5 seasons of struggles like most of us will never understand, Randy Gregory is a hero for just having the courage to fight through all he has faced. If you get a chance to hear him being interviewed as I have, you will be impressed at the quality human being he is. He has worked so hard, against all odds to be where he is now.

Whatever Randy Gregory accomplishes this year on the field will not be as brave as the journey he has traveled to get to today. In my book, #94 has already accomplished more than most of us will ever understand.

Go Randy Gregory! Let’s go Cowboys!
Thanks for sharing with us Bob. Great support helps people cope!

lk8701

Reaction score
This dude would have been the next Jason Taylor if it wasn't for his issues.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I'm glad to see him turning things around, he is fortunate that Jerry was willing to stick by him and not give up on him. I think many other clubs would have cut him loose but Jerry didn't. Really hope to see Gregory have a big season.

This is a common narrative but I'm not sure it's the "only Jerry" hearts and flowers people are making of it. He was a 1st Round talent who has been cheap and on a team seemingly always in need of pass rush help. If we had somehow come into an established rusher on the right edge that wasn't just here on a 1-year rental, Gregory would have been gone awhile ago. I'm sure many teams would have held on to him under our team circumstances, if not to reap "something" out of drafting him. Regardless, the 1st Round talent would have kept him employed somewhere else by a team taking a flyer if we cut him loose.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
This is a common narrative but I'm not sure it's the "only Jerry" hearts and flowers people are making of it. He was a 1st Round talent who has been cheap and on a team seemingly always in need of pass rush help. If we had somehow come into an established rusher on the right edge that wasn't just here on a 1-year rental, Gregory would have been gone awhile ago. I'm sure many teams would have held on to him under our team circumstances, if not to reap "something" out of drafting him. Regardless, the 1st Round talent would have kept him employed somewhere else by a team taking a flyer if we cut him loose.

Fact is he was a 2nd rd because of the issues he had in college so right off the bat some teams were not willing to touch him as a rookie, he lasted until pick 60 of the 2nd rd again teams passed him over because of his problems. We all know Jerry is willing to take a risk that many others will not take. People say that he did not hurt the Cowboys because he was not counting against the cap but the reality is because he was suspended Dallas was forced to address DE more than a few times instead of drafting other needs. Taco Charlton being one of those guys. Had Gregory not been missing game, Dallas likely draft someone else. Right now that is all water under the bridge and I do hope he has a great season but again I don't think many teams would be willing to hold on to a player who was being suspended like Gregory was.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Fact is he was a 2nd rd because of the issues he had in college so right off the bat some teams were not willing to touch him as a rookie, he lasted until pick 60 of the 2nd rd again teams passed him over because of his problems. We all know Jerry is willing to take a risk that many others will not take. People say that he did not hurt the Cowboys because he was not counting against the cap but the reality is because he was suspended Dallas was forced to address DE more than a few times instead of drafting other needs. Taco Charlton being one of those guys. Had Gregory not been missing game, Dallas likely draft someone else. Right now that is all water under the bridge and I do hope he has a great season but again I don't think many teams would be willing to hold on to a player who was being suspended like Gregory was.

Just because no one wanted to take him higher doesn't mean that all teams wouldn't have taken him if he fell lower. That would have been lower risk for potential huge reward. So even if we passed, he was still getting drafted. Plus, he would have been on an even cheaper contract which enhances the chance of keeping him around even through his nonsense if that team needed pass rush help all along. And you make my point for me. If Taco became a bookend DE we wanted to roll with, Gregory would have been gone.

I'm talking cold, hard business here. We all love the feel-good story but where there's a bottom line that is what is addressed first. If you can wrap it in a fluffy blanket, you do that by all means to make it look better but reality is about that bottom line. Gregory isn't here because of some benevolent owner, he's here because we suck at generating pass rush and he could help for cheap .... this year. Trust me, if he balls out and then leaves for free agency, this benevolent owner narrative will be used to beat him over the head as an ungrateful, greedy bastid when nothing could be further from the truth. Circumstances have kept him here, not by Jerry's order.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bob, I have to admit for a second there I thought you were gonna hate on your own daughter.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Alonzo Spellman was one of the first NFL players to go public about BiPolar Disorder. When he went off his meds, he was arrested going down his street, naked with a gun in his hand.

I had an employee that struggled with it and they had to take her off the meds that worked because of the buildup in the kidneys, a common side effect. Getting her balanced with new meds was an eye opening experience and her husband and daughter were worn down. She took 3 times the amount of time any other salesperson took and some of my employees wanted to now why. I should have told them.

I remember when Gregory was first busted by the NFL, his response was how he had let his Mom down and disappointed her but I picture her as Bullet and his wife and while frustration can't help but be a part of it, disappointment, no, I don't think so. But he was not forthcoming on his need for pot.

I made fun of Gregory, well, because that's what I do and called him Ganjory and made light of something very serious, serious enough that he was willing to throw away a NFL career not to feel like he felt. I am pulling for him.

In order to accept mental health problems as real as any other health problem, most either have to know someone or experience that themselves. I am an example of the latter and was diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder and that border is BiPolar but this was 30 years ago when we were taking our younger son through the process of assessment. I used to wonder why my wife demanded I be in every assessment session but I think I know. I was being set up because like Bullet's daughter, I was in denial.

You see, accepting you have a mental issue is hard, almost impossible for some, because of the stigma attached to it by ignorant people. There is something wrong with you that you should correct, snap out of it. Men don't have mental health problems, that's for women with the blues. It is a health issue that carries the additional symptom of shame with it and a kind of aloneness that cannot be described. Many end in suicide because of it.

When I see the reactions to mental health here as I did in the Simon Biles thread or when Dak admitted he was fighting something deep within himself and posters try to make that a flaw within them, it unsettles me a bit. And you don't want someone on the border unsettled, do you? Seriously, either learn more about mental health issues or ignore them but save the ignorant comments about something you know nothing about and be glad you know nothing about it.

Bullet, great thread, as usual, and thanks for sharing about your daughter. I am pulling for Randy and her.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Just so you know, there are more things in life than football. The victory here is that Randy Gregory has turned his life around and is becoming a more productive member of society. I don't care if he never gets another sack. That is still a victory from a personal standpoint for him. Football is another matter, but football is a game. We are celebrating Randy Gregory for turning his life around.
Exactly. I agree complet… wait. We don’t care how many sacks Gregory gets? Let’s don’t get cray-cray here…

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Of all the Cowboys players this year, the guy I’m most pulling for is Randy Gregory. No matter what happens for him this season, I’m already super proud of him. Randy Gregory is a man I admire regardless of his football skills and accomplishments.

When RG was drafted back in 2015, he was a first round talent with major personal issues. Specifically, the mental health challenge known as Bipolar disorder. I don’t know how many NFL players struggle with Bipolar disorder, but the odds of making an NFL career for those who do have this difficult disorder have to be very low.

Most bipolar sufferers struggle with two big things: 1. Admitting and accepting they have it and 2. Will they seek healthy ways to treat it? Almost all bipolar sufferers seek some kind of medication. Legal or not. Some are fortunate enough to find legal medications administered by medical professionals that can balance the brain chemistry that throws them alternately from either a deep depression or an over-excited mania. It can be exhausting. Some use alcohol, marijuana or other substances to help them cope. Gregory used weed because it helped him deal with the highs and lows. And was punished by NFL policy for it.

How do I know all this? Because my wife and I have beautiful daughter in her 30s who is bipolar. We have seen the painful effects bipolar disorder has had on her life for nearly two decades.

I don’t need to go into details. She has an amazing story of incredible struggles, legal problems and even hospitalization. But I am happy to report that our daughter has accepted she has this problem and has been taking effective medications from her doctors that have allowed her to regain her footing again in her life. After nearly a decade of difficulties, she is nearing completion of her bachelor’s degree. She is in a healthy relationship. We are proud of her courage and progress.

Like all Cowboys fans, I’m excited at the reports that RG is having a great camp and has been selected by his teammates to serve on the team’s leadership council. After 5 seasons of struggles like most of us will never understand, Randy Gregory is a hero for just having the courage to fight through all he has faced. If you get a chance to hear him being interviewed as I have, you will be impressed at the quality human being he is. He has worked so hard, against all odds to be where he is now.

Whatever Randy Gregory accomplishes this year on the field will not be as brave as the journey he has traveled to get to today. In my book, #94 has already accomplished more than most of us will ever understand.

Go Randy Gregory! Let’s go Cowboys!
Pulling for him as well
As a person
And
As a player

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Just because no one wanted to take him higher doesn't mean that all teams wouldn't have taken him if he fell lower. That would have been lower risk for potential huge reward. So even if we passed, he was still getting drafted. Plus, he would have been on an even cheaper contract which enhances the chance of keeping him around even through his nonsense if that team needed pass rush help all along. And you make my point for me. If Taco became a bookend DE we wanted to roll with, Gregory would have been gone.

I'm talking cold, hard business here. We all love the feel-good story but where there's a bottom line that is what is addressed first. If you can wrap it in a fluffy blanket, you do that by all means to make it look better but reality is about that bottom line. Gregory isn't here because of some benevolent owner, he's here because we suck at generating pass rush and he could help for cheap .... this year. Trust me, if he balls out and then leaves for free agency, this benevolent owner narrative will be used to beat him over the head as an ungrateful, greedy bastid when nothing could be further from the truth. Circumstances have kept him here, not by Jerry's order.

I agree if he had no talent he would not have been kept, my point is there are teams who would not have waited on him, they would have cut ties long ago and moved on. Jerry has a tendency to give guys extra chances not a secret. You don't have to like Jerry but Jerry has a long history of taking problem players who others teams cut loose and not often has it worked out in our favor. The notion any team would have taken Gregory or stayed with him this long is BS

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I agree if he had no talent he would not have been kept, my point is there are teams who would not have waited on him, they would have cut ties long ago and moved on. Jerry has a tendency to give guys extra chances not a secret. You don't have to like Jerry but Jerry has a long history of taking problem players who others teams cut loose and not often has it worked out in our favor. The notion any team would have taken Gregory or stayed with him this long is BS

It's not BS. It's logic. You are just wanting to use an oft-repeated, feel-good narrative and bend the reality of cold, hard business to suit that narrative. Teams would have taken Gregory and held him if the circumstances warranted it. If they got other long-term options while he had issues, Gregory would have been gone. Just like if we did. We never did and thus Gregory is still here, ironically in the same 1-year scenario we've done the past few seasons with rent-a-players because of him. We'll see what his future holds after this year. Maybe he does well and they want him back or a youngster develops and they determine they want to ride with that guy on the cheap and let Gregory leave. If the former, the team is hoping your same mirage of a narrative helps give them the inside track to re-sign him but will also most certainly be used by you and other fans to beat Gregory with if he leaves via free agency. I speak truth. You not being able to handle it is for you to accept or not. So far you choose not. It happens.