I’m really proud of Randy Gregory

Doomsday101

Reaction score
It's not BS. It's logic. You are just wanting to use an oft-repeated, feel-good narrative and bend the reality of cold, hard business to suit that narrative. Teams would have taken Gregory and held him if the circumstances warranted it. If they got other long-term options while he had issues, Gregory would have been gone. Just like if we did. We never did and thus Gregory is still here, ironically in the same 1-year scenario we've done the past few seasons with rent-a-players because of him. We'll see what his future holds after this year. Maybe he does well and they want him back or a youngster develops and they determine they want to ride with that guy on the cheap and let Gregory leave. If the former, the team is hoping your same mirage of a narrative helps give them the inside track to re-sign him but will also most certainly be used by you and other fans to beat Gregory with if he leaves via free agency. I speak truth. You not being able to handle it is for you to accept or not. So far you choose not. It happens.

No Im not, Jerry has on occasion had players use his private Jet because of family emergency and or death in a family. He has stood by his players in some of their worst times. Yes he would not do so with a poor player but he has often brought in players whom other teams have given up on and has taken heat for doing it. As for what happens next season with Gregory contract I don't know, 1st off he has a lot to prove he showed signs last season but if he expects to get a big contract he will have to do more than just show signs. As for any type of so called loyalty I don't expect that, I would hope that he would be willing to structure a deal that pays him but also allows the Cowboys to work within the cap but if he choose to leave for bigger money should he have a breakout season, that is just the way it goes. Only narrative I see is your own disdain for Jerry and afraid to give any credit what so ever to Jerry for keeping a player who has been suspended multiple times when many others would have cut him a long time ago. I can promise you I would have cut him after the 2nd time he was suspended.

TheMightyVanHalen

Reaction score
My impression of Randy has always been that he is a sincere guy who wants to succeed, so I am pulling for him.

I admit, however, to feeling he may never be the player people once thought he could be. He's almost 29 and 6 NFL seasons have already come and gone since he was drafted, and he has missed a lot of development time, so I'm a little skeptical.

Here's to hoping he proves my skepticism to be unfounded

That's a fair post! :thumbup:

MarcusRock

Reaction score
No Im not, Jerry has on occasion had players use his private Jet because of family emergency and or death in a family. He has stood by his players in some of their worst times. Yes he would not do so with a poor player but he has often brought in players whom other teams have given up on and has taken heat for doing it. As for what happens next season with Gregory contract I don't know, 1st off he has a lot to prove he showed signs last season but if he expects to get a big contract he will have to do more than just show signs. As for any type of so called loyalty I don't expect that, I would hope that he would be willing to structure a deal that pays him but also allows the Cowboys to work within the cap but if he choose to leave for bigger money should he have a breakout season, that is just the way it goes. Only narrative I see is your own disdain for Jerry and afraid to give any credit what so ever to Jerry for keeping a player who has been suspended multiple times when many others would have cut him a long time ago. I can promise you I would have cut him after the 2nd time he was suspended.

Again, you keep trying to push this benevolent Jerry story and I don't deny Jerry's been good to players but you base this narrative on what exactly? To which other owners are you comparing? Because chances are, you don't have the foggiest idea what other owners/teams do with their players or in taking on reclamation projects, or whether it's at a higher rate than the Cowboys. What you know is that Jerry likes the limelight more than any other owner and he is front and center when anything is written about this team, the one you follow. And more things are written about this team because, you know, ratings and all. So of course you see Jerry doing this more because you aren't looking at what other teams do.

So how can you say Jerry does it more than others and also pretend others wouldn't do the same thing, if not more? You can't. This is why it's a narrative because there is no data except the set you're paying attention to with 31 other sets out there. Again, I'm talking cold, hard business, raw numbers, etc. and you want to throw feel-good stories with no basis around. Narrative. Same as any other CONSPIRACY! theory based on nothing but "I need to see it this way," then just repeat as it gets picked apart.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
He does not have Bipolar disorder ........ this was said by one reporter at draft time in 2015 and has been repeated over and over ....... he has never been diagnosed with it and does not show any symptoms of it ......

His family and the team has repeatably denied this rumor.

The league would have gotten him help if he had this ....... like they did with the other Cowboy players in the past.

Someone ate the cheese.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Of all the Cowboys players this year, the guy I’m most pulling for is Randy Gregory. No matter what happens for him this season, I’m already super proud of him. Randy Gregory is a man I admire regardless of his football skills and accomplishments.

When RG was drafted back in 2015, he was a first round talent with major personal issues. Specifically, the mental health challenge known as Bipolar disorder. I don’t know how many NFL players struggle with Bipolar disorder, but the odds of making an NFL career for those who do have this difficult disorder have to be very low.

Most bipolar sufferers struggle with two big things: 1. Admitting and accepting they have it and 2. Will they seek healthy ways to treat it? Almost all bipolar sufferers seek some kind of medication. Legal or not. Some are fortunate enough to find legal medications administered by medical professionals that can balance the brain chemistry that throws them alternately from either a deep depression or an over-excited mania. It can be exhausting. Some use alcohol, marijuana or other substances to help them cope. Gregory used weed because it helped him deal with the highs and lows. And was punished by NFL policy for it.

How do I know all this? Because my wife and I have beautiful daughter in her 30s who is bipolar. We have seen the painful effects bipolar disorder has had on her life for nearly two decades.

I don’t need to go into details. She has an amazing story of incredible struggles, legal problems and even hospitalization. But I am happy to report that our daughter has accepted she has this problem and has been taking effective medications from her doctors that have allowed her to regain her footing again in her life. After nearly a decade of difficulties, she is nearing completion of her bachelor’s degree. She is in a healthy relationship. We are proud of her courage and progress.

Like all Cowboys fans, I’m excited at the reports that RG is having a great camp and has been selected by his teammates to serve on the team’s leadership council. After 5 seasons of struggles like most of us will never understand, Randy Gregory is a hero for just having the courage to fight through all he has faced. If you get a chance to hear him being interviewed as I have, you will be impressed at the quality human being he is. He has worked so hard, against all odds to be where he is now.

Whatever Randy Gregory accomplishes this year on the field will not be as brave as the journey he has traveled to get to today. In my book, #94 has already accomplished more than most of us will ever understand.

Go Randy Gregory! Let’s go Cowboys!
I have been on the Gregory bandwagon since day 1. Why? I think he is supremely talented. Also he always came across as a smart guy. Had drug issues but he always sounded respectful and smart. None of that gangster attitude I hate. I think Gregory is going to ball out this year.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
So glad he continued to try an get the mental help he needed and that they finally removed the draconian laws that held him down. Legs go randy!!!

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He does not have Bipolar disorder ........ this was said by one reporter at draft time in 2015 and has been repeated over and over ....... he has never been diagnosed with it and does not show any symptoms of it ......

His family and the team has repeatably denied this rumor.

The league would have gotten him help if he had this ....... like they did with the other Cowboy players in the past.

Someone ate the cheese.
That’s actually not true. In his most recent interview, RG said his mental health is “private”.
https://es.pn/2KPaIVq
And…https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...n-2021-he-can-be-a-premier-player-for-dallas/
Couple of points:
1. My understanding has been that he and his family have just said they will not discuss his medical history. Which is certainly understandable. That’s different than what you described.
2. Many mental health disorders are hard to pin down to an exact phrase. Bipolar disorder actually has a broad spectrum of conditions.

waving monkey

Reaction score
I've never had a personal problem with Randy [his a good dude]. I got irritated with his noncompliance for sure. The world pulls for good people.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Again, you keep trying to push this benevolent Jerry story and I don't deny Jerry's been good to players but you base this narrative on what exactly? To which other owners are you comparing? Because chances are, you don't have the foggiest idea what other owners/teams do with their players or in taking on reclamation projects, or whether it's at a higher rate than the Cowboys. What you know is that Jerry likes the limelight more than any other owner and he is front and center when anything is written about this team, the one you follow. And more things are written about this team because, you know, ratings and all. So of course you see Jerry doing this more because you aren't looking at what other teams do.

So how can you say Jerry does it more than others and also pretend others wouldn't do the same thing, if not more? You can't. This is why it's a narrative because there is no data except the set you're paying attention to with 31 other sets out there. Again, I'm talking cold, hard business, raw numbers, etc. and you want to throw feel-good stories with no basis around. Narrative. Same as any other CONSPIRACY! theory based on nothing but "I need to see it this way," then just repeat as it gets picked apart.

What I know is the anti Jerry BS where people around here will not give any credit to anything he does. Jerry takes the heat constantly about taking on players with off the field issues but when things turn in the favor of the Cowboys as it appears to be the case with Gregory well everyone does it and Jerry should get no credit for it. That is a load of BS. I have never had issue with Jerry taking heat but it really is pathetic when so called fans are so hateful towards him they will not give credit when it is due. I see teams like the Pats who may give a guy a chance but any slight screw up and they are gone. Gregory has ben suspended 4 times since being drafted by the Cowboys only playing 38 games in 6 years, he has missed more time than he has played yet Jerry has stuck by him, sorry no I don 't see many teams out there willing to hang on to a guy 6 years with Gregory track record

MarcusRock

Reaction score
What I know is the anti Jerry BS where people around here will not give any credit to anything he does. Jerry takes the heat constantly about taking on players with off the field issues but when things turn in the favor of the Cowboys as it appears to be the case with Gregory well everyone does it and Jerry should get no credit for it. That is a load of BS. I have never had issue with Jerry taking heat but it really is pathetic when so called fans are so hateful towards him they will not give credit when it is due. I see teams like the Pats who may give a guy a chance but any slight screw up and they are gone. Gregory has ben suspended 4 times since being drafted by the Cowboys only playing 38 games in 6 years, he has missed more time than he has played yet Jerry has stuck by him, sorry no I don 't see many teams out there willing to hang on to a guy 6 years with Gregory track record

You didn't answer my question. To what organizations are you comparing this one to know that many other teams would not have held on to Gregory? You mentioned the Patriots as if all teams operate that way. And even they brought in Josh Gordon and Antonio Brown. Any other teams you know of? What I've said is it's depended on team circumstances. If Taco or someone else was a beast on that edge, Gregory would most likely be gone.

And find where I criticized Jerry. I actually acknowledged he's been good to players so you're seeing an attack on Jerry where there is none. My issue is needing to see a feel-good narrative when the reality is it's all about the team's circumstances. If we had options, Gregory would have been gone and there'd have been no feel-good story, only a hateful self-destruction narrative aimed at Gregory. He'll get plenty of hate if he does well this year and then leaves via free agency. That's when we'll see this benevolent Jerry narrative resurface as a weapon to call Gregory greedy and ungrateful when it never really existed. You'll start to see the "he better be grateful" posts especially if Gregory gets off to a good start due to fear he'll leave.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Of all the Cowboys players this year, the guy I’m most pulling for is Randy Gregory. No matter what happens for him this season, I’m already super proud of him. Randy Gregory is a man I admire regardless of his football skills and accomplishments.

When RG was drafted back in 2015, he was a first round talent with major personal issues. Specifically, the mental health challenge known as Bipolar disorder. I don’t know how many NFL players struggle with Bipolar disorder, but the odds of making an NFL career for those who do have this difficult disorder have to be very low.

Most bipolar sufferers struggle with two big things: 1. Admitting and accepting they have it and 2. Will they seek healthy ways to treat it? Almost all bipolar sufferers seek some kind of medication. Legal or not. Some are fortunate enough to find legal medications administered by medical professionals that can balance the brain chemistry that throws them alternately from either a deep depression or an over-excited mania. It can be exhausting. Some use alcohol, marijuana or other substances to help them cope. Gregory used weed because it helped him deal with the highs and lows. And was punished by NFL policy for it.

How do I know all this? Because my wife and I have beautiful daughter in her 30s who is bipolar. We have seen the painful effects bipolar disorder has had on her life for nearly two decades.

I don’t need to go into details. She has an amazing story of incredible struggles, legal problems and even hospitalization. But I am happy to report that our daughter has accepted she has this problem and has been taking effective medications from her doctors that have allowed her to regain her footing again in her life. After nearly a decade of difficulties, she is nearing completion of her bachelor’s degree. She is in a healthy relationship. We are proud of her courage and progress.

Like all Cowboys fans, I’m excited at the reports that RG is having a great camp and has been selected by his teammates to serve on the team’s leadership council. After 5 seasons of struggles like most of us will never understand, Randy Gregory is a hero for just having the courage to fight through all he has faced. If you get a chance to hear him being interviewed as I have, you will be impressed at the quality human being he is. He has worked so hard, against all odds to be where he is now.

Whatever Randy Gregory accomplishes this year on the field will not be as brave as the journey he has traveled to get to today. In my book, #94 has already accomplished more than most of us will ever understand.

Go Randy Gregory! Let’s go Cowboys!
Quite the turnaround for the young man.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One thing in Gregory's favor, he got picked by Booger. I think just about any other owner/GM is going to cut his losses and run just like most did with Josh Gordon.

It's not that Booger has a warm fuzzy for his players that plays in Gregory's favor, it's that stubborn Booger ego that he's not going to give up on proving he's right. He's done it with other players and even a HC.

Would Jaylon Smith be the "cornerstone" of the defense if he hadn't been a risk pick?