I almost felt sorry for Garrett

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is CowboysZone! We have to keep the conversation as dumbed down as possible.

We do that by choosing someone we don't like in the organization and blaming the loss on them.
Not blaming him, in a way i'm blaming Jerry. Or, is that to dumb for you to understand?

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
I'm not trying to dumb down the conversation but I literally had this observation to my wife while watching the game last night ……"seriously, does he do anything but stare angrily at the field. What is his job now?" And it's a serious question because I feel over the years the FO has pared down everything where we got rid of his hand picked OC in Linehan and we have an old time DC. We hired a "boy wonder OC" to create something new from their old burning heap...so what does he do? I'm assuming its game management. Fire the kids up. Shrug

Reactions: BAT

glimmerman

Reaction score
He looked like a neutered cat on the sideline. Every time they showed him, he had a blank look on his face. I guess Jerry has taken all of his authority. He wore a headset, but I never saw him talking to anyone. He yelled at the refs a couple of times, that about all I saw him do. It would be nice to have a real head coach that can take over a game when he needs to.
He should have challenged the Elliot fumble. Looked like his knee was down before the ball came out..

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So, execution by the players has nothing to do with it?

We see the OC and QB up against a real team and the HC gets the blame? Some are actually blaming him for the offense last night? So what do you think happened, the Joneses got tired of seeing success and told Garrett to stop Moore and his antics?

At what point do posters consider their lofty opinions were based on the really bad teams that they played with MIA and WAS fighting for the top pick? They played a tough team last night in their stadium and the Saints defense is better this year and they stuffed the Cowboys #1 weapon and that's the HC's fault?

I am not a Garrett fan but that was a team loss last night against a team on the same level with the Cowboys. If that game is played in Dallas, maybe that's reversed but those fans had been ready for that game for quite some time and their players feed off the energy created by their fans. Good teams lose there all the time.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I'm not trying to dumb down the conversation but I literally had this observation to my wife while watching the game last night ……"seriously, does he do anything but stare angrily at the field. What is his job now?"
His career rests on a first year OC that struggled last night. Playcalling was iffy but had some mistakes that were on the players. And the refs didn’t help us.

khiladi

Reaction score
Garrett has effectively been neutered from play-calling since 2014, when Jerry stripped him of those duties. He’s been the same way on game day since 2014.

Most of his work now is politics behind the scenes.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not trying to dumb down the conversation but I literally had this observation to my wife while watching the game last night ……"seriously, does he do anything but stare angrily at the field. What is his job now?" And it's a serious question because I feel over the years the FO has pared down everything where we got rid of his hand picked OC in Linehan and we have an old time DC. We hired a "boy wonder OC" to create something new from their old burning heap...so what does he do? I'm assuming its game management. Fire the kids up. Shrug
He's not the Clapper anymore, he's the Scowler.

glimmerman

Reaction score
So, execution by the players has nothing to do with it?

We see the OC and QB up against a real team and the HC gets the blame? Some are actually blaming him for the offense last night? So what do you think happened, the Joneses got tired of seeing success and told Garrett to stop Moore and his antics?

At what point do posters consider their lofty opinions were based on the really bad teams that they played with MIA and WAS fighting for the top pick? They played a tough team last night in their stadium and the Saints defense is better this year and they stuffed the Cowboys #1 weapon and that's the HC's fault?

I am not a Garrett fan but that was a team loss last night against a team on the same level with the Cowboys. If that game is played in Dallas, maybe that's reversed but those fans had been ready for that game for quite some time and their players feed off the energy created by their fans. Good teams lose there all the time.
Moore kept running the ball to the same place. No screens or tosses. Just run right into them. Those 2 fumbles killed us. Cooper isn’t 100% and pushed off a few times. Dak needed to keep a few of those and run it himself. We never really stretched them out. He never had time to take any deep shots.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
His career rests on a first year OC that struggled last night. Playcalling was iffy but had some mistakes that were on the players. And the refs didn’t help us.
I didn't see them help NO either, sloppy game like most of the ones I've watched.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Two eyes?

Nope, that doesn't work. You can't reasonably decide Garrett has nothing to do with the offense when it successful, and he is the one pulling the strings when it's not. Well, I guess you can if you aren't concerned about fairness or logic and the goal is only to turn whatever happens into an indictment of one guy.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Moore kept running the ball to the same place. No screens or tosses. Just run right into them. Those 2 fumbles killed us. Cooper isn’t 100% and pushed off a few times. Dak needed to keep a few of those and run it himself. We never really stretched them out. He never had time to take any deep shots.
The D had something to say about that. It's not all on what the Cowboys didn't do, they weren't playing one of those patsies like in the first 3 games.

I am seeing a general overreaction to what was revealed last night and will probably be further revealed with real competition as we progress through this season. In order for Moore to be Wunderkind, his QB needs the run game and a cleaner pocket. DC's are not going to give them that going forward.

We knew there would be bumps and some thought this would just roll along and that was Kellen Moore's official welcome to the NFL last night. Good to get this "it doesn't always go according to plan" in the 4th game to prepare him for more adversity. And good to get the players' heads out of the clouds and back in the game, going to be more like that.