I am pretty sure we go safety 1st round next year

Hardline

Reaction score
That would complete this team. I have tried to convince myself the last 4 years or so but I am pretty sure this time.

I will give the FO a pass because of their confidence in iloka but he is not a long term solution.

I am pretty confident that one of the top safties this college season will be ours.
That's what most of you were saying about this draft.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
And sometimes a team can fill 2 needs in one draft, but yet here we are with the need at S still. :lmao2:

You can’t just force a premium pick on a safety or any player if the player doesn’t warrant the pick. That’s the quickest way to end up with a bust. You have to go with the best player available.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
It'll be intriguing to see how SS Donovan Wilson does this year, assuming he's given a chance to play.

If not, back to the board next year. Realistically, it could prove tough getting reps vs. Ioka this season.

Last edited:

Fredbeard

Reaction score
Defensive tackle could still be a need . Collins is in the last year of his contract. Woods and Covington are going to be free agents after this season

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
That would complete this team. I have tried to convince myself the last 4 years or so but I am pretty sure this time.

I will give the FO a pass because of their confidence in iloka but he is not a long term solution.

I am pretty confident that one of the top safties this college season will be ours.
who is this safety that we are going to draft in the 1st round next year? where does he rank compared to other draftees? is he rated as a first round pick?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You can’t just force a premium pick on a safety or any player if the player doesn’t warrant the pick. That’s the quickest way to end up with a bust. You have to go with the best player available.

Yes I know that. But also BPA just does not mean BPA. If a player of need is there, right below another player. Say the BPA was another OL as opposed to a S. You pick the S since you are already stacked at OL.
no way they had all the S's ranked below other players to then trade down, or pass on.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

So we're going to have a bunch of disappointed fans when the Cowboys pass on safeties in the early rounds, again.

Hope springs eternal, I guess.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

Then you must be pretty confident neither are going to be that great and we can snag one of them late in the first round or you’re pretty confident we’re going to have a disappointing season and end up with a top 15 pick.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The Cowboys have had terrible luck drafting safeties through the years. They haven’t had an impact safety since the first few years they had Roy Williams in the early 2000s. They haven’t had a great safety since Woody. I don’t think there’s a position where the Cowboys have had a tougher time finding an impact player at than at safety. However the team has had good luck finding TEs. They always had great TE play during the 70s, 80s, 90s and into the 2000s with Witten. I don’t feel comfortable taking a safety with our first pick unless they check all the boxes or we’ll continue ending up with average/serviceable players at the position.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Seems every year fans been screaming S and/or DT and every year FO ignored them (LOL). But guess what, we spent our highest pick this year on DT and no surprise, many are STILL not happy ( they should've taken a S or why didn't we get both ):banghead:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Go back to the 2012 draft many on the board wanted us to move up for Mark Barron a safety instead of Claiborne. Both players were top 10 busts. The 2012 draft had one of the worst top 10s in draft history. At least 6 of the top 10 went bust.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Go back to the 2012 draft many on the board wanted us to move up for Mark Barron a safety instead of Claiborne. Both players were top 10 busts. The 2012 draft had one of the worst top 10s in draft history. At least 6 of the top 10 went bust.
Facts. Most of these safeties people covet are busts.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Facts. Most of these safeties people covet are busts.

Which is one reason we’ve had such a tough time hitting on one. It’s become even tougher finding one because of the rules. All the rules promote passing. Safeties have to have great instincts. Roy Williams was great when we had him close to the line of scrimmage but once we moved him back into coverage his game went down the drain. Very difficult coming up with an instinctive, ball hawking safety.

Verdict

Reaction score

Needs can change greatly from year to year. Moreover it is better to go BPA rather than force a pick at a specific position.

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
Naw they have other needs. Everything for them is weighted higher than a safety.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Not sure about that. We'll probably go BPA. And we might view RDE as more of an immediate need. Gregory may never play again and i think we only signed Quinn to a 1 year deal.

I think if Quinn is performing mid season, they lock him up for 3ish years.

pansophy

Reaction score

except that they don't think that safety is a crucial position in this defense. More likely we draft CB, TE, or some other spot on offense if we don't resign everyone we have to resign.