CFZ I believe the defense has figured it out

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Since early LAST year, this defense has prided itself on rushing the passer. DQ has constructed the defense all about rushing the passer. And why not with players like Parsons, DLaw and the rest of the defensive ends? They’re deep with pass rushers. Then 2022 started and teams quickly learned that hell yeah, the Cowboys can rush the passer. That’s what they focus on. That’s what they live by. So we’ll just run the ball at them. And it worked. And Dallas hasn’t adjusted. They have continued to base their defense on rushing the QB.

Post Green Bay game.

Finally, we’re hearing that not only the players, but the coaches have realized that basing your defense on rushing the passer ain’t working. We’ve heard from Quinn. We’ve heard from Parsons. We’ve heard from Kearse and we’ve heard from others that things have changed. True, we have a great pass rushing defense, but unless we stop the run on 1st and 2nd downs to force a passing situation, we’re gonna lose. Our pass rushing defense means squat unless we do so. For the first time EVER, the Cowboys have given up back to back over 200 yards rushing. Any defense that can’t stop the run is more than likely gonna lose I don’t care who you have at QB.

Quinn should’ve realized this earlier. That’s on him for not doing so. He has told the team now finally to stop the run on 1st and 2nd downs. They’re still 6-3 and in the thick of things. Many here have quit. Given up. Shame on you.

Last edited:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
And on the opposite of stopping the run, the Cowboys MUST focus on running the ball. We’ve all seen what happens when teams establish the run. It opens up the passing game with play action. A little RPO thrown in. This is football 101 from the leather helmet days. If you want to win championships, YOU MUST BE ABLE TO RUN THE BALL ON OFFENSE, AND STOP THE RUN ON DEFENSE.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Nobody's giving up on anything shame on them for not recognizing this sooner and making some adjustments.

The NFL is an unforgiving place especially for those who play behind the curve and end up behind the chains.

Don't get me wrong I'm elated that Quinn has recognized this problem and voiced his concern but we are playing in the best division in football and there's really not a lot of margin for error this year.

We had more than enough talent to beat the Packers and something should have been adjusted before we were run over in that game.

Blackrain

Reaction score
I subscribe to what Micah was saying which was basically guys were more interested in getting sacks then covering their assignments in the running game.

And of course this makes sense because defensive lineman with big sack numbers command higher prices in free agency and every one of these guys know They are only months from having to test the market so why not up their value.

NeathBlue

Reaction score
We aren’t suddenly going to become a great run defence simply by saying the right things, we need the players to perform in big games when teams are running the ball down our throats… but right now, I don’t think we have the personnel to be able to that and be a great pass defence at the same time.
Our DT’s are average at best and we have issues with our LB’s… Realistically we are still another draft away from getting the defence the right personnel, and a little help from free agency would be nice as well.
And we have to put Diggs on the opponents best WR… if we’d done that last week then the result would likely have been different.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I'm still upset Dan Quinn allowed John Ridgeway to be cut at the early stages of this season. Ridgeway would have come in handy right about now to help stop the run inside between the D-Tackles. All because Dan Quinn was focused way much more in sacking opposing QBs. So upset at him.

I truly hope he can stop opposing teams from continuing to run on us bigly. I don't see how these current smaller/lighter DTs (Gallimore (302) and Odighizuwa (280)) are going to do it. Granted, we have Bohanna (360) and Hankins (325), but Hankins is 30 going on 31 with a lot of wear and tear, and Bohanna is barely in his 2nd year and still learning. It sure would have been nice to still have had 6'5", 335 pound John Ridgeway even if he's a rookie. He could have helped better at plugging up the inside than our much lighter DTs.

Dan Quinn's philosophy is becoming eerily similar to Rod Marinelli's. It's all about rushing the passer. Definitely not good. Hearing him finally admit about needing to concentrate on stopping the run is great, but I find it hard to believe this D will be successful without some more big DT help. I don't understand why the Cowboys stayed pat and refused to even talk to Ndamukong Suh? Sure, the Eagles have yet to disclose how much they agreed to pay Suh for the remainder of this season, but did anyone know the Buccaneers are still on the hook this year for $6.8 million for Ndamukong Suh's remaining contract from when he last played for them last year? This had to have worked out in the Eagles favor to be able to sign him for less the remainder of this season. Meanwhile, the Cowboys stayed still and refused to do anything. If the Cowboys keep struggling to stop the run this 2nd half of the season, Dan Quinn needs to be held accountable. This is inexcusable, especially after everyone knows the Cowboys have been struggling for years to stop the run.

Last edited:

Blackrain

Reaction score
Yep AC I agree letting Ridgeway go and needing beef in the middle just didn't make a lot of sense especially when he seems to be playing meaningful downs for the commanders.
If I'm not mistaken he caused a fumble in the Eagles commanders game when Dallas Goddard got injured.

stinkface

Reaction score
Proof is in the pudding. If we can hold Cook to less then 100 yards we will win for sure. If he puts up 150 yards plus we are going to get stomped. It is rather interesting that before the Chicago game folks were saying out our front seven was dominating and our defense was amazing. Now we are scrubs once again and DQ should be run out of town.

Lots more games to go. We will know a bit more about the run D after this game.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
I think it's Jerry's philosophy to get after the QB. Because we've changed DC's and our problems still remain. We haven't been a good run stuffing team since Parcells left, IIRC.

Many fans here saw Ridgeway as a scrub, because they've been watching this team for so long that they've started to think like it's owner. They want the flashy picks instead of the needed picks. These same fans want to load up on wide receivers instead of replenishing the depth on our offensive line. It's flashy over function to them. But the game is won and loss in the trenches and that's why we need players like Ridgeway.

cowboybish

Reaction score
Since early LAST year, this defense has prided itself on rushing the passer. DQ has constructed the defense all about rushing the passer. And why not with players like Parsons, DLaw and the rest of the defensive ends? They’re deep with pass rushers. Then 2022 started and teams quickly learned that hell yeah, the Cowboys can rush the passer. That’s what they focus on. That’s what they live by. So we’ll just run the ball at them. And it worked. And Dallas hasn’t adjusted. They have continued to base their defense on rushing the QB.

Post Green Bay game.

Finally, we’re hearing that not only the players, but the coaches have realized that basing your defense on rushing the passer ain’t working. We’ve heard from Quinn. We’ve heard from Parsons. We’ve heard from Kearse and we’ve heard from others that things have changed. True, we have a great pass rushing defense, but unless we stop the run on 1st and 2nd downs to force a passing situation, we’re gonna lose. Our pass rushing defense means squat unless we do so. For the first time EVER, the Cowboys have given up back to back over 200 yards rushing. Any defense that can’t stop the run is more than likely gonna lose I don’t care who you have at QB.

Quinn should’ve realized this earlier. That’s on him for not doing so. He has told the team now finally to stop the run on 1st and 2nd downs. They’re still 6-3 and in the thick of things. Many here have quit. Given up. Shame on you.
Suh could’ve helped us in the middle for the rest of the year but instead we let the Eagles in their middle even more.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
If the Cowboys give up 150+ rushing yards against the Vikings and it contributes to a loss, DFW fans need to call the media to film them picket outside of Cowboys Headquarters at The Star. That bad media coverage will definitely get under Jerry's skin and hopefully cause him to do something to help fix this run D before the season is lost.

plymkr

Reaction score
Or maybe some of us actually want to see change, instead of just hearing about it.
Bingo! I'm so sick of the 24/7/365 PR campaign that is the Dallas Cowboys. Shut up and produce on the field. Stopping the run is a pretty important aspect of winning games. When you don't stop the run in 2020, or 2021, or this year then you deserve criticism. Instead of adjusting or playing better we constantly hear about how we'll make changes or so and so is in the best shape of their life. 27 years of being a joke and talking instead of producing. Talk is cheap, get results and there will be less criticism.

One more thing. The fact that Ridgeway is playing meaningful snaps and contributing to the Commanders defense and Kelvin Joseph is still on our team is a microcosm of the our team. We needed a roster spot (so Jerry can delusionally lie to is that Dak will recover from thumb surgery a month ahead of schedule) and we cut a defensive lineman that is contributing and held onto a liability on and off that field that is barely contributing. Again, building and controlling a roster based on hope.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Bingo! I'm so sick of the 24/7/365 PR campaign that is the Dallas Cowboys. Shut up and produce on the field. Stopping the run is a pretty important aspect of winning games. When you don't stop the run in 2020, or 2021, or this year then you deserve criticism. Instead of adjusting or playing better we constantly hear about how we'll make changes or so and so is in the best shape of their life. 27 years of being a joke and talking instead of producing. Talk is cheap, get results and there will be less criticism.

One more thing. The fact that Ridgeway is playing meaningful snaps and contributing to the Commanders defense and Kelvin Joseph is still on our team is a microcosm of the our team. We needed a roster spot (so Jerry can delusionally lie to is that Dak will recover from thumb surgery a month ahead of schedule) and we cut a defensive lineman that is contributing and held onto a liability on and off that field that is barely contributing. Again, building and controlling a roster based on hope.
Spot on bro!

Some bad roster personnel decisions by the Cowboys this season, and it's costing us. Could have been prevented with much wiser decisions.

tunahelper

Reaction score

Post Green Bay game.

I want to see sustained good defense and not just lip service. The players, coaches have talked about this defense ability to be dominant, so time to show it.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
And on the opposite of stopping the run, the Cowboys MUST focus on running the ball. We’ve all seen what happens when teams establish the run. It opens up the passing game with play action. A little RPO thrown in. This is football 101 from the leather helmet days. If you want to win championships, YOU MUST BE ABLE TO RUN THE BALL ON OFFENSE, AND STOP THE RUN ON DEFENSE.

Yep, it's a copy cat league and we've tried incorporating a lot of Nickel Defense to counter the emphasis on the 'throwing league'.....we've just been late in adjusting to the fact the league has now started running more.

I expect a lot more LB and less emphasis on pass-rushing at all costs from our 3 -tech's on 1st/2nd downs.

Last edited: