I blame the missed FG on Parcells

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DMX690 said:
That's when Jerry wanted to be cheap with kickers. Now, we actually spend millions on a veteran Kicker. I want to see the that idiot kicker kick. I don't care how he looks in practice. He can't do any worse.

Agreed. Why not make this guy earn his money? They keep saying there's nothing wrong with him physically. Put him out there then. He can't overcome whatever his mental demons are if he doesn't go out there and try.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
peplaw06 said:
But isn't it different when we're in the Red Zone?? If we take a sack there, we can still kick the FG. The problem comes when you're in borderline FG range. When we're in the Red Zone, BP probably hammers the "don't force a throw if it's not there" then lets Bledsoe throw it. But if we get sacked, we still have a shot at 3.

We WERE in the red zone Sunday when we ran it, and people are complaining, saying that Parcells always runs it in that situation. But we hadn't run it in that situation since 2004.

Overall last season (not just in the red zone), we passed the ball every time on third-and-8, every time on third-and-9, 92 percent of the time on third-and-10, 91 percent of the time on third-and-11, 86 percent of the time on third-and-12, 86 percent of the time on third-and-13, 67 percent of the time on third-and-14, 83 percent of the time on third-and-15 and 75 percent of the time on third-and-16.

The VAST majority of the time, Parcells passes on third-and-long. But when he runs it one time -- never mind that it was in a tie game late in the third quarter on the road against a playoff-caliber team -- people bash him for always being "too conservative." Please.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
superpunk said:
Suisham could prefer kicking from the right hash.

We can't know that.

...legged kicker. As a beginner you would favour the left hash mark. Watch the opening kickoff of the game and you can see the right legged kicker's natural motion is to move from left to right.

Most kickers don't prefer going from right to left if you don't have to, but as a professional it shouldn't matter unless you had a choice.

If the kick was for the Super Bowl, as Parcells I would have run to the left hash mark knowing I had a right legged kicker.

Vice versa for a left legged kicker.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
DMX690 said:
That's when Jerry wanted to be cheap with kickers. Now, we actually spend millions on a veteran Kicker. I want to see the that idiot kicker kick. I don't care how he looks in practice. He can't do any worse.

... BP may have taken Suisham because he may have seen the "worse" part rather than the better.

Right now it's very disconcerting to see our prized free agent kicker not on the field on Sundays. Let's hope things are different against the Skins.

We have tough games ahead of us and we don't want to leave points on the field. With the state of our offence right now we can't turn our backs on anything - even FGs.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Boyzmamacita said:
Agreed. Why not make this guy earn his money? They keep saying there's nothing wrong with him physically. Put him out there then. He can't overcome whatever his mental demons are if he doesn't go out there and try.
... injured, I can't imagine what was so bad that he couldn't take the field.

Was he missing 10 yard chips shots?

DMX690

Reaction score
davidyee said:
... BP may have taken Suisham because he may have seen the "worse" part rather than the better.

Right now it's very disconcerting to see our prized free agent kicker not on the field on Sundays. Let's hope things are different against the Skins.

We have tough games ahead of us and we don't want to leave points on the field. With the state of our offence right now we can't turn our backs on anything - even FGs.

I think Parcell should bite the bullet and let Vanderjack kick no matter how he looks in pratices. Its a similar situation with T.O neither of them played or pratice alot in preseason. It really didn't affect T.O performance this past Sunday. If a player has had a history of sucess in the league then i think a coach should overlook his practice result. Now, that Vanderjack is not listed on the injury report, he should be the field goal kicker this sunday night.

doomsday81

Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN said:
Many may see this as nit-picking, but I blame the missed FG on Parcells.
After Witten's penalty to negate the TD, we were facing something like 3rd and 13. Okay so we decide to call a run play on 3rd down. I actually agree with that, because with that much yardage to go, a run play makes sense to set up a FG. But why did the coaches call the play to be a run to the right?

All that run-right does is put the FG on the right hashmark if the first down is not made. With a rookie kicker kickeing, and one you have little confidence in, the smart play would have been to run to the center so the FG attemplt is placed in the middle of the goal posts on 4th down. Instead a run-right is called and the following kick (from the right) went straight and hit the right post and was no-good.

Therefore I blame this miss on Parcells AND ONLY Parcells because the previous play should have been a middle run. Even if Parcells may have not called the play himself, he sohuld have overriden it if someone else called it, since Parcells has publically reserved the right to have final say on what offensive calls get made.

Yeah, that was a great call. I mean, how could the Cowboys offense ever get a whopping 13 yards on one play? It's not like they have Terry Glenn, Jason Witten or even a Terrell Owens. No offensive weapons at all. Yeah, great freaking call. And you wonder why ever ******** Cowboys game goes down to the wire? It's because of chicken **** calls like that. That's why.

doomsday81

Reaction score
Stautner said:
This is a great point - many on here act as if this is merely a predictable quirk in our offensive play calling. It goes on all the time with virtually every team. I assume the idea is that the defense is looking to prevent a first down pass, so the draw provides some opportunity to get a first down against a spread out defense while still preserving or aiding the field position for the FG attempt.

That's the kind of thinking that keeps teams out of the playoffs. Goes on all the time you say? The Colts are always running draw plays on third and 13, huh? How about the Rams? The Eagles? The Patriots? Goes on all the time? Yeah, when your head coach is either Bill Parcells or Herm Edwards.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
doomsday81 said:
That's the kind of thinking that keeps teams out of the playoffs. Goes on all the time you say? The Colts are always running draw plays on third and 13, huh? How about the Rams? The Eagles? The Patriots? Goes on all the time? Yeah, when your head coach is either Bill Parcells or Herm Edwards.

See Adam's post on Page 3... I was corrected on that too.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN said:
Many may see this as nit-picking, but I blame the missed FG on Parcells.
After Witten's penalty to negate the TD, we were facing something like 3rd and 13. Okay so we decide to call a run play on 3rd down. I actually agree with that, because with that much yardage to go, a run play makes sense to set up a FG. But why did the coaches call the play to be a run to the right?

All that run-right does is put the FG on the right hashmark if the first down is not made. With a rookie kicker kickeing, and one you have little confidence in, the smart play would have been to run to the center so the FG attemplt is placed in the middle of the goal posts on 4th down. Instead a run-right is called and the following kick (from the right) went straight and hit the right post and was no-good.

Therefore I blame this miss on Parcells AND ONLY Parcells because the previous play should have been a middle run. Even if Parcells may have not called the play himself, he sohuld have overriden it if someone else called it, since Parcells has publically reserved the right to have final say on what offensive calls get made.

You cant blame BP for missed kicks... .the kicker has to make his kicks.... the name of his position if "kicker" for goodness sake....

you can blame him for bad coaching... hence the title "coach".... but you cant blame him for kicking... its all on the ..... yep you guessed... THE KICKER....

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
They didn't. It was a draw up the middle, and Barber cut it outside to the right. (Definitely Parcells' fault.)

If that's the case then it's haerd to hold Parcells accountable. But at some level you have to question why Barber would do something so stupid? Are these players even coached to think? I mean, how unprepared/undiscipined can this team be? For crying out loud!

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN said:
If that's the case then it's haerd to hold Parcells accountable. But at some level you have to question why Barber would do something so stupid? Are these players even coached to think? I mean, how unprepared/undiscipined can this team be? For crying out loud!

Most fans on here criticize running backs for not trying to bounce everything outside. It's refreshing to hear someone beg for a running back to plow straight ahead into the pile for no gain.

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
Most fans on here criticize running backs for not trying to bounce everything outside. It's refreshing to hear someone beg for a running back to plow straight ahead into the pile for no gain.

The point is to play disciplined - to know when to take chances and when not to. On 3rd and 13 on a draw play is not the time to take chances when you have a FG staring you in your face. The percentages of converting that first down are so low that the best thing to do is set up the FG in the most optimal way. I actually liked the middle-run call, I juat questuion whay it was ever bounced outside. To me, it looked like the coaches called it that way, but perhaps it was Barber's improvisation. Either way, whover decided to baounce that particular run outside made an idiotic and thoughtless decisiona. It was DUMB football, plain and simple.

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
YoMick said:
You cant blame BP for missed kicks... .the kicker has to make his kicks.... the name of his position if "kicker" for goodness sake....

you can blame him for bad coaching... hence the title "coach".... but you cant blame him for kicking... its all on the ..... yep you guessed... THE KICKER....

The only reason we even have that kicker on the roster is because Vanderjact can't kick-off. Yes the kicker has to make his kicks but not in absolute. If he's primarily a kickoff-guy, and you know he's iffy on making FGs - which the staff has admited thay know he's iffy - why not then try to put him in the best position possible to make the kick? Running the third down run up the middle instead of the right would have centered the FG attemp, instead of having it be kicked from the right hashmark. That's the point. I really can't blame the kickoff guy who is not the FG kicker of choice for a missed kick, just like I couldn't blame Crayton if he had to come in as the third QB and played poorly there.

Stautner

Reaction score
doomsday81 said:

You don't watch much football do you ...... or is it only when the Cowboys or Colts play?

I'll grant you it isn't always the norm for every team, but every team does it at times. Sometimes it is deemed best to take a conservative approach on a play that "could" work, but will also leave you in shape to settle for a FG - rather than get too greedy .......... especially with struggling offenses like we were Sunday.

Do you go to the bathroom every time a team plays for the FG?

visionary

Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
They didn't. It was a draw up the middle, and Barber cut it outside to the right. (Definitely Parcells' fault.)

exactly :banghead: