I can't help but wonder what Tony Dorsett would've been like in today's game

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Many said, that Dorsett would have had many more yards if Landry would have ran him more. But Landry didn't think he could hold up with a bigger work load.
The Steelers questioned why the Cowboys didn't run him more in Super Bowl 13. They couldn't stop him, but Landry was hesitant to give him a full workload. :(

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I can't think of a RB today who compares to Dorsett. I think he was unique because of how smooth and effortless he looked as a runner. I know when he played I wanted the Cowboys to hand the ball off to him every down.
Smooth is the best description for Dorsett. He just glided on turf when he ran the ball. It was a sight to behold.

CoachD

Reaction score
I used to hate it when Ron Springs or Timmy Newsome would get the ball down around the goal line because before that Dorsett did all the work and didn't get rewarded for it.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
I have been watching lots of videos as well as full games from my uncles collection of 70's 80's cowboys.
I can't help but wonder what Dorsett would of been like in today's game, I honestly believe he would be even better in today's open game. This guy was shifty and smooth!!!! Hits top speed in a instant!!
I also never knew how tough of a runner he was!! Amazing back. Those who saw his career first hand... who would you compare him to today?
Speed and acceleration like his was not seen before or since.

Never forgot going to a training camp blue white scrimmage at Thousand Oaks. It was college bleacher stands, so you are close to to field. When Dorsett saw the hole and accelerated through the hole everything else look like it was still or slow motion and he was there and then he was there, the whole stand gasped for air with surprise. Back home you would think it was the Television cameras. But, it was pure Dorsett acceleration and speed. Seeing it up close was that shocking to everyone.

In a spread formation, in space, it would be unfair to the defense. Many players have run a 4.3 40yard dash. But only Dorsett could get to 4.3 in a heart beat and could run 4.3 in an out of cuts.

Photographers use to notice taking pictures of Dorsett that they could never catch him with his feet on the ground while running. Most photos of Dorsett would be as he was running on air no feet on the ground.

quickccc

Reaction score
Dorsett was lighting in a bottle.

Great vision, instincts, electric moves and elusiveness, tremendous burst and acceleration: both in-line and on the outside edge and flat instant TD homerun hitter.
Deadly on RB screen passes in the pass game as well.
But also like a many of RB HOFers, he was a fumbler and he struck me as a finesse runner who could be tackled easily.

I'm so thankful he had Landry preserving his career early on, and Landry did and not ground-pounding him into a very short career,
as i'm sure most HC coaches would have done.

NickZepp

Reaction score
Tony Dorsett is the reason I'm a Cowboys fan, converted from the Skins.
However ... he would have had likely 3-4 good years playing in today's NFL and then would have been out of the league.
Dorsett was 170lbs soak and wet. No way he holds up against 250-300lb linemen and linebackers.
He'd suffer a similar fate as Zeke.
That's because of today's nutrition and weight rooms and medical knowledge. I do think the days of a running back dominating for 10 years like Emmitt and TD may be behind us though. A lot of teams use 2 or 3 backs now. Henry is like the only real bell cow right now.

erod

Reaction score
Dorsett would get beaten up in today's game, but Emmitt would dominate.

The 90s and early 2000s was the most physical and best football every played in the NFL.

I loved Tony, but he was a very slightly built guy for a running back.

Robalocc88

Reaction score
Paraphrasing Randy White way back..

" you have the corner on him and a perfect angle And a split second later your watching the back of his jersey "

cowboyec

Reaction score
same as he was then...the best break away runner in the game.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have been watching lots of videos as well as full games from my uncles collection of 70's 80's cowboys.
I can't help but wonder what Dorsett would of been like in today's game, I honestly believe he would be even better in today's open game. This guy was shifty and smooth!!!! Hits top speed in a instant!!
I also never knew how tough of a runner he was!! Amazing back. Those who saw his career first hand... who would you compare him to today?
Impossible to compare players from different eras.

He would be good now but not sure if better.

Con
LBs and Safetie are much faster now.

Pro
Defenses were geared towards stopping the run back then but pass defense has become the priority in the modern era.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Dorsett was great for his time, but this thread is a perfect example of people overrating players from the past. Dorsett was small, he would've been a part time player in today's league at his size
The perpetual argument between Dorsett and Landry was numbers of carries. Dorsett wanted to to be a work horse and Landry limited him because of his size.

But then Landry also tried to force Dorsett to follow his blocking and run where Landry designed the play. It took a couple of taking it to the house as Dorsett improvised in traffic for Landry to capitulate and tell the line to hold their blocks and let Tony D find the holes.

I have no idea how they measure this, but it was said, more than once, that by the third step, Dorsett was at full speed.

As a side note, people here got antsy about Zeke's behavior. There was no internet then, but Dorsett was just as wild, and maybe a whole lot more.